Tape capacity - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Tape capacity - Veritas Backup Exec ; I am using ver. 8, hardware compression and DLTIV media, HP 718 DLT Library. How can I monitor the data capacity on each tape? I believe each tape is maxing out at approx 56GB data. My objective is to limit ...

  1. Tape capacity

    I am using ver. 8, hardware compression and DLTIV media, HP 718 DLT Library.
    How can I monitor the data capacity on each tape? I believe each tape is
    maxing out at approx 56GB data. My objective is to limit backup jobs to
    one tape. For instance: 1st monday differential equals 13GB, 2nd monday
    differential 24GB. The 3rd monday differential will span 2 tapes. I am
    trying to avoid this. Any ideas?
    Thanks

  2. Re: Tape capacity

    If you are using hardware compression, there is no way to tell, since
    compression algorithms vary so widely. Additionally, if you use
    hardware compression, you are severely limited in what devices you can
    use to restore data. Different brands, models and sometimes even
    firmware levels of "the same" device can have different algorithms. If
    you replace a drive under warrantee, there is no guarantee that you'll
    be able to read tapes on the new drive. I have 6 backup servers ranging
    from dual PPro 200s to a dual Xeon 400 and notice little to no
    difference in throughput with hardware compression vs software
    compression.

    To your question - If you were using software or no compression open
    the GUI, go to the reports tab, open saved and view "Media Sets" for
    bytes written to each volume.

    Shelia wrote:

    > I am using ver. 8, hardware compression and DLTIV media, HP 718 DLT Library.
    > How can I monitor the data capacity on each tape? I believe each tape is
    > maxing out at approx 56GB data. My objective is to limit backup jobs to
    > one tape. For instance: 1st monday differential equals 13GB, 2nd monday
    > differential 24GB. The 3rd monday differential will span 2 tapes. I am
    > trying to avoid this. Any ideas?
    > Thanks

+ Reply to Thread