If I want to test a DLT Type IV tape for soft and hard read/write errors,
does it matter whether I test in compressed mode or not? In other words, are
some kinds of errors only going to show in compressed mode? The reason to
ask is that it will obviously take more time to write 40 gigs of data than
20 gigs, so I don't want to do that unless I get some real testing value
from it. Backup Exec gives me a nice media report to see what errors
occurred when using each tape, so theoretically I can use it for testing
tapes.

--
Will

NOTE: To reply, CHANGE the username to westes AT uscsw.com