Exchange Agent - speed up mailbox backup - perfwiz? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Exchange Agent - speed up mailbox backup - perfwiz? - Veritas Backup Exec ; I'm trying to get the mailbox backup to speed up some. I'm not able to get any better than 50-60Mb/Min on the mailbox backup(full backup every night). I'm wondering if there is something I can tweak in perwiz to speed ...

  1. Exchange Agent - speed up mailbox backup - perfwiz?

    I'm trying to get the mailbox backup to speed up some. I'm not able to get
    any better than 50-60Mb/Min on the mailbox backup(full backup every night).

    I'm wondering if there is something I can tweak in perwiz to speed things
    up? Or any other suggestions would be welcome.

    CPU and drive usage are at relatively low levels during this portions of
    the backup.

    Dual 800
    %CPU usage 10-20

    Drive (RAID 10) 4x10k RPM 36 gig each
    %Disk time 35
    Disk read bytes/sec 1.4Mb

  2. Re: Exchange Agent - speed up mailbox backup - perfwiz?

    Nope.

    You have to understand how Veritas has implemented "brick-level"
    backups. The BENT service account must open each mailbox specified and
    then open and read each item in the mailbox. 50-60 MB/min is
    OUTSTANDING thrughput for this. We've seen posts reporting throughput
    of 10-12 MB/min.

    Marcus wrote:

    > I'm trying to get the mailbox backup to speed up some. I'm not able to get
    > any better than 50-60Mb/Min on the mailbox backup(full backup every night).
    >
    > I'm wondering if there is something I can tweak in perwiz to speed things
    > up? Or any other suggestions would be welcome.
    >
    > CPU and drive usage are at relatively low levels during this portions of
    > the backup.
    >
    > Dual 800
    > %CPU usage 10-20
    >
    > Drive (RAID 10) 4x10k RPM 36 gig each