Another slow local backup - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Another slow local backup - Veritas Backup Exec ; I'm getting terrible throughput when performing a local backup. The hardware seems to be configured right and I've compared the BENT settings to another server, one that gets over 500MB per minute for it's local backup. Here's some background: HP ...

  1. Another slow local backup

    I'm getting terrible throughput when performing a local backup. The hardware
    seems to be configured right and I've compared the BENT settings to another
    server, one that gets over 500MB per minute for it's local backup.

    Here's some background:

    HP SureStore DLT Autoloader 818
    ...Autoloader SCSI ID is 2
    ...Drive SCSI ID is 3
    ...Uses Adaptec AHA290x PCI SCSI Controller (dedicated to tape drive)

    Micron NetFrame 6200
    NT 4.0 SP6
    Hosts an Oracle database
    BENT 7.2 Rev 1119
    ...Agent Accelerator NOT loaded
    4 SCSI Adapters installed
    ...Adaptec AHA290x/291x/294x/394x/4944/AIC78xx PCI SCSI Controller
    ...Mylex DAC960/Digital SWXCR-Ex Raid Controller
    ...Mylex DAC960/Digital SWXCR-Ex Raid Controller
    ...Symbios Logic OCI (53c8XX)

    With the same model drive, SCSI controller and BENT, the other server's throughput
    is over 500MB per minute locally. But this one runs at only 20-25MB per
    minute.

    BENT has the same drive properties on both servers. Block Size is set to
    64K, Buffer Size is 128K, Buffer Count is 16 and High Water Count is 16.

    I wasn't here when the other tape drive was installed, so I don't have a
    clue where else to look.

    Any suggestions?

  2. Re: Another slow local backup

    Couple of questions:

    What apps are running in the slow server?
    When was the last time the drives were defragged?

    Probably won't have any effect at all on your problem, but
    the last upgrade for V7./V7.3 users, Build 2575 was by far the
    most stable of the family. BNT73I03 and POST2575 from the
    downloads page. I'm still running 2575 on all my servers (waiting
    for next budget year to upgrade )

    Todd Stroh wrote:

    > I'm getting terrible throughput when performing a local backup. The hardware
    > seems to be configured right and I've compared the BENT settings to another
    > server, one that gets over 500MB per minute for it's local backup.
    >
    > Here's some background:
    >
    > HP SureStore DLT Autoloader 818
    > ..Autoloader SCSI ID is 2
    > ..Drive SCSI ID is 3
    > ..Uses Adaptec AHA290x PCI SCSI Controller (dedicated to tape drive)
    >
    > Micron NetFrame 6200
    > NT 4.0 SP6
    > Hosts an Oracle database
    > BENT 7.2 Rev 1119
    > ..Agent Accelerator NOT loaded
    > 4 SCSI Adapters installed
    > ..Adaptec AHA290x/291x/294x/394x/4944/AIC78xx PCI SCSI Controller
    > ..Mylex DAC960/Digital SWXCR-Ex Raid Controller
    > ..Mylex DAC960/Digital SWXCR-Ex Raid Controller
    > ..Symbios Logic OCI (53c8XX)
    >
    > With the same model drive, SCSI controller and BENT, the other server's throughput
    > is over 500MB per minute locally. But this one runs at only 20-25MB per
    > minute.
    >
    > BENT has the same drive properties on both servers. Block Size is set to
    > 64K, Buffer Size is 128K, Buffer Count is 16 and High Water Count is 16.
    >
    > I wasn't here when the other tape drive was installed, so I don't have a
    > clue where else to look.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

  3. Re: Another slow local backup

    Oracle AI is the only app running. This server was set up 3 weeks ago and
    the tape drive added 2 days ago.

    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >Couple of questions:
    >
    >What apps are running in the slow server?
    >When was the last time the drives were defragged?
    >
    >Probably won't have any effect at all on your problem, but
    >the last upgrade for V7./V7.3 users, Build 2575 was by far the
    >most stable of the family. BNT73I03 and POST2575 from the
    >downloads page. I'm still running 2575 on all my servers (waiting
    >for next budget year to upgrade )
    >
    >Todd Stroh wrote:
    >>
    >> I'm getting terrible throughput when performing a local backup. The hardware
    >> seems to be configured right and I've compared the BENT settings to another
    >> server, one that gets over 500MB per minute for it's local backup.
    >>
    >> Here's some background:
    >>
    >> HP SureStore DLT Autoloader 818
    >> ..Autoloader SCSI ID is 2
    >> ..Drive SCSI ID is 3
    >> ..Uses Adaptec AHA290x PCI SCSI Controller (dedicated to tape drive)
    >>
    >> Micron NetFrame 6200
    >> NT 4.0 SP6
    >> Hosts an Oracle database
    >> BENT 7.2 Rev 1119
    >> ..Agent Accelerator NOT loaded
    >> 4 SCSI Adapters installed
    >> ..Adaptec AHA290x/291x/294x/394x/4944/AIC78xx PCI SCSI Controller
    >> ..Mylex DAC960/Digital SWXCR-Ex Raid Controller
    >> ..Mylex DAC960/Digital SWXCR-Ex Raid Controller
    >> ..Symbios Logic OCI (53c8XX)
    >>
    >> With the same model drive, SCSI controller and BENT, the other server's

    throughput
    >> is over 500MB per minute locally. But this one runs at only 20-25MB per
    >> minute.
    >>
    >> BENT has the same drive properties on both servers. Block Size is set

    >> 64K, Buffer Size is 128K, Buffer Count is 16 and High Water Count is 16.
    >>
    >> I wasn't here when the other tape drive was installed, so I don't have

    >> clue where else to look.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?

+ Reply to Thread