Trying to use overwrite/append & failing - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Trying to use overwrite/append & failing - Veritas Backup Exec ; We are using 7.3 Backup Exec and Windows NT. We have 1 tape we use for Daily backups 4 times a day 4 days a week, 1 tape we use 4 nights a week for Differential Backups and 1 tape ...

  1. Trying to use overwrite/append & failing

    We are using 7.3 Backup Exec and Windows NT. We have 1 tape we use for Daily
    backups 4 times a day 4 days a week, 1 tape we use 4 nights a week for Differential
    Backups and 1 tape we use for Friday Normal backups. We want to append to
    the Daily and Differentials for 4 weeks before overwriting and append to
    the Friday Normals for 2 weeks before overwriting. To no avail, we have tried
    this and cannot get this to work. Each tape is a different media set. I need
    help in understanding the overwrite and append options. Current settings:
    Daily (overwrite - 4 weeks Overwrite/Append 8 weeks, Differential (2 weeks
    Overwrite/4 days Append), and Normal (0 hours Overwrite/Infinite Append).
    The Normal settings werer 2 weeks/1 week for this past weekend but the tape
    would eject before a backup could be started and then the job monitor would
    state that the backup was loading. I aborted the job and changed the settings
    to 0 hours/infinte to get the job to run. Help.

    Thanks in advance.

    DeAnna

  2. Re: Trying to use overwrite/append & failing

    DeAnna Wiseman wrote:

    > We are using 7.3 Backup Exec and Windows NT. We have 1 tape we use for Daily
    > backups 4 times a day 4 days a week, 1 tape we use 4 nights a week for Differential
    > Backups and 1 tape we use for Friday Normal backups. We want to append to
    > the Daily and Differentials for 4 weeks before overwriting and append to
    > the Friday Normals for 2 weeks before overwriting. To no avail, we have tried
    > this and cannot get this to work. Each tape is a different media set. I need
    > help in understanding the overwrite and append options. Current settings:
    > Daily (overwrite - 4 weeks Overwrite/Append 8 weeks, Differential (2 weeks
    > Overwrite/4 days Append), and Normal (0 hours Overwrite/Infinite Append).
    > The Normal settings werer 2 weeks/1 week for this past weekend but the tape
    > would eject before a backup could be started and then the job monitor would
    > state that the backup was loading. I aborted the job and changed the settings
    > to 0 hours/infinte to get the job to run. Help.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > DeAnna

    Each backup is a set of data. Each set of data has an expiration
    date. You can't overwrite the beginning of the tape and not know
    for certain that you will not clobber un-expired data. By
    allowing data to append to the tape, you keep changing the
    overwrite date.

    Now, what you are trying to do would work on a mainframe (OS/390
    using job streams), but, the way Veritas has this implemented in
    their system, you can't. As you can see, by globally changing to
    0 hours, you can override all tapes (it should be by the tape,
    not set for the whole "library").

    --
    Steve Thompson
    OSP LLC

    Remove "_" in email address to contact me -- anti-spam measures
    in use

+ Reply to Thread