Differential backup of Exchange5.5 mailboxes? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Differential backup of Exchange5.5 mailboxes? - Veritas Backup Exec ; Is this possible? Win2000 Server, Exchange 5.5, BENT 8.0 Build 3316 Regards, Tim...

  1. Differential backup of Exchange5.5 mailboxes?

    Is this possible?

    Win2000 Server, Exchange 5.5, BENT 8.0 Build 3316

    Regards, Tim

  2. Re: Differential backup of Exchange5.5 mailboxes?

    No, Accroding to the manual you may choose differential but it will still
    backup the whole mailbox
    "Support Horsens" wrote in message
    > Is this possible?
    >
    > Win2000 Server, Exchange 5.5, BENT 8.0 Build 3316
    >
    > Regards, Tim

  3. Re: Differential backup of Exchange5.5 mailboxes?

    This may be a little off the subject. Does that mean that BENT can backup/restore
    Private Information Store and Public Information Store as a whole? I don't
    think it is capable of backing up individual mailboxes because it backs up
    the whole EDB files (where priv and pub information is stored). Am I right
    about this?

    "whtwolf" wrote:
    >No, Accroding to the manual you may choose differential but it will still
    >backup the whole mailbox
    >"Support Horsens" wrote in message
    >> Is this possible?
    >>
    >> Win2000 Server, Exchange 5.5, BENT 8.0 Build 3316
    >>
    >> Regards, Tim

  4. Re: Differential backup of Exchange5.5 mailboxes?

    As of V7.2 (as I recall, maybe it was V7.3) BENT was capable of "brick
    level backups" whereby individual mailboxes could be backed up and then
    restored, so that your no longer needed to go the standby server route
    to recover individual mailboxes.

    The implementation is a little weak, (BENT has to open each mailbox
    specified, and then open and read every item in the mailbox, all over
    the network, unless the backup server is the exchange server). And then
    when you do the restore, a lot of the time information is missing. See
    numerous posts here on the subject. Veritas never said that brick level
    backups were a replacement for full IS/DS backups, just an attempt to
    make the life of the Exchange Admin a little easier.

    Many Exchange gurus (see the swynk lists) maintain that you should never
    need to to a brick level backup/restore with a properly configured
    Exchange setup.

    Ron wrote:

    > This may be a little off the subject. Does that mean that BENT can backup/restore
    > Private Information Store and Public Information Store as a whole? I don't
    > think it is capable of backing up individual mailboxes because it backs up
    > the whole EDB files (where priv and pub information is stored). Am I right
    > about this?
    >
    > "whtwolf" wrote:
    > >No, Accroding to the manual you may choose differential but it will still
    > >backup the whole mailbox
    > >"Support Horsens" wrote in message
    > >> Is this possible?
    > >>
    > >> Win2000 Server, Exchange 5.5, BENT 8.0 Build 3316
    > >>
    > >> Regards, Tim

  5. Re: Differential backup of Exchange5.5 mailboxes?

    I have to dig into this subject a little further before purchasing the Exchange
    option for our BENT v7.3. Anyway, thanks for your speedy response.

    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >As of V7.2 (as I recall, maybe it was V7.3) BENT was capable of "brick
    >level backups" whereby individual mailboxes could be backed up and then
    >restored, so that your no longer needed to go the standby server route
    >to recover individual mailboxes.
    >
    >The implementation is a little weak, (BENT has to open each mailbox
    >specified, and then open and read every item in the mailbox, all over
    >the network, unless the backup server is the exchange server). And then
    >when you do the restore, a lot of the time information is missing. See
    >numerous posts here on the subject. Veritas never said that brick level
    >backups were a replacement for full IS/DS backups, just an attempt to
    >make the life of the Exchange Admin a little easier.
    >
    >Many Exchange gurus (see the swynk lists) maintain that you should never
    >need to to a brick level backup/restore with a properly configured
    >Exchange setup.
    >
    >Ron wrote:
    >>
    >> This may be a little off the subject. Does that mean that BENT can backup/restore
    >> Private Information Store and Public Information Store as a whole? I don't
    >> think it is capable of backing up individual mailboxes because it backs

    up
    >> the whole EDB files (where priv and pub information is stored). Am I right
    >> about this?
    >>
    >> "whtwolf" wrote:
    >> >No, Accroding to the manual you may choose differential but it will still
    >> >backup the whole mailbox
    >> >"Support Horsens" wrote in message

  6. Re: Differential backup of Exchange5.5 mailboxes?

    If you want to do live backups of the Exchange System, you'll still need
    the Exchange Agent. Just don't count real heavily on the Brick Level
    backups feature.

    Ron wrote:

    > I have to dig into this subject a little further before purchasing the Exchange
    > option for our BENT v7.3. Anyway, thanks for your speedy response.
    >
    > Ken Putnam wrote:
    > >As of V7.2 (as I recall, maybe it was V7.3) BENT was capable of "brick
    > >level backups" whereby individual mailboxes could be backed up and then
    > >restored, so that your no longer needed to go the standby server route
    > >to recover individual mailboxes.
    > >
    > >The implementation is a little weak, (BENT has to open each mailbox
    > >specified, and then open and read every item in the mailbox, all over
    > >the network, unless the backup server is the exchange server). And then
    > >when you do the restore, a lot of the time information is missing. See
    > >numerous posts here on the subject. Veritas never said that brick level
    > >backups were a replacement for full IS/DS backups, just an attempt to
    > >make the life of the Exchange Admin a little easier.
    > >
    > >Many Exchange gurus (see the swynk lists) maintain that you should never
    > >need to to a brick level backup/restore with a properly configured
    > >Exchange setup.
    > >
    > >Ron wrote:
    > >>
    > >> This may be a little off the subject. Does that mean that BENT can backup/restore
    > >> Private Information Store and Public Information Store as a whole? I don't
    > >> think it is capable of backing up individual mailboxes because it backs

    > up
    > >> the whole EDB files (where priv and pub information is stored). Am I right
    > >> about this?

  7. Re: Differential backup of Exchange5.5 mailboxes?

    I do it with 7.3 daily--never a problem.

    "Support Horsens" wrote:
    >Is this possible?
    >
    >Win2000 Server, Exchange 5.5, BENT 8.0 Build 3316
    >
    >Regards, Tim

  8. Re: Differential backup of Exchange5.5 mailboxes?

    I understand. Just trying to find out whether it is worth it to purchase the
    Exchange option. It seems like users are experiencing so many problems with
    backing up Exchange mail servers.

    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >If you want to do live backups of the Exchange System, you'll still need
    >the Exchange Agent. Just don't count real heavily on the Brick Level
    >backups feature.
    >
    >Ron wrote:
    >>
    >> I have to dig into this subject a little further before purchasing the

    Exchange
    >> option for our BENT v7.3. Anyway, thanks for your speedy response.

  9. Re: Differential backup of Exchange5.5 mailboxes?

    Strange, I thought almost all the Exchange Backup problems centered around the
    "brick-level" backups. I don't think I've seen a problem on IS/DS backups
    posted in quite a while.

    If you don't purchase the Exchange Option, the only way you'll be able to get
    backups is top shut down the Exchange Services and do a "flat" backup. usually
    not a viable option.

    Ron wrote:

    > I understand. Just trying to find out whether it is worth it to purchase the
    > Exchange option. It seems like users are experiencing so many problems with
    > backing up Exchange mail servers.
    >
    > Ken Putnam wrote:
    > >If you want to do live backups of the Exchange System, you'll still need
    > >the Exchange Agent. Just don't count real heavily on the Brick Level
    > >backups feature.
    > >
    > >Ron wrote:
    > >>
    > >> I have to dig into this subject a little further before purchasing the

    > Exchange
    > >> option for our BENT v7.3. Anyway, thanks for your speedy response.

  10. Re: Differential backup of Exchange5.5 mailboxes?

    I may be wrong about it. We'll see when we start using exchange option (if
    we decide to purchase it). Shut down the mail server to do backup? Not a
    chance! Thanks for your input, Ken. You've been a great help.

    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >Strange, I thought almost all the Exchange Backup problems centered around

    the
    >"brick-level" backups. I don't think I've seen a problem on IS/DS backups
    >posted in quite a while.
    >
    >If you don't purchase the Exchange Option, the only way you'll be able to

    get
    >backups is top shut down the Exchange Services and do a "flat" backup. usually
    >not a viable option.
    >
    >Ron wrote:
    >
    >> I understand. Just trying to find out whether it is worth it to purchase

    the
    >> Exchange option. It seems like users are experiencing so many problems

    with
    >> backing up Exchange mail servers.
    >>
    >> Ken Putnam wrote:
    >> >If you want to do live backups of the Exchange System, you'll still need
    >> >the Exchange Agent. Just don't count real heavily on the Brick Level
    >> >backups feature.

    the
    >> Exchange

+ Reply to Thread