adventures in autoloading - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on adventures in autoloading - Veritas Backup Exec ; I'm getting the "please remove media from slot xxx" error. The BENT knowledge base tells me to remove and reinstall the storage devices to get rid of this error, but I have an autoloader (HP 24x6 DAT), and I remember ...

  1. adventures in autoloading

    I'm getting the "please remove media from slot xxx" error. The BENT
    knowledge base tells me to remove and reinstall the storage devices to get
    rid of this error, but I have an autoloader (HP 24x6 DAT), and I remember
    reading here that there are special complications involving autoloaders (I
    inherited this configuration, so I've never loaded the autoloader). Has
    anyone done this? I'd like to be prepared in advance. If I delete the
    autoloader device, what will I need to load it back in?

    Nick

  2. Re: adventures in autoloading

    I had tons of problems with my HP 24X6 DAT. It would work fine with
    DDSII tapes, but not DDSIII. But DDSIII tapes would work with the
    native NT 4 backup program (although, of course, with no autoloader
    support). Because it worked fine with NT's backup program, I was
    misled into thinking it was a software problem, since it DID work,
    just not in backup exec. But it turned out to be a problematic drive.
    Fortunately, it was under warranty (only about 9 months old). Another
    thing I've seen elsewhere, is that with firmware versions less than
    the newer U812, there would be all kinds of random, flakey problems
    with BE 8 and above. So first thing I'd do is update your firmware if
    it's not already U812. After that, it should be a piece of cake to
    simply remove the drive from device manager, reboot. Then you have
    two choices. The easiest way is to just install Backup Exec, and
    during the install select to use the veritas drivers, install the
    autoloader feature, and anything else you want. Mine works just fine
    being installed this way, and I also told it to disable the device in
    the Windows 2000 removable storage devices, so it's controlled solely
    by backup exec. Works like a champ, every install. And I install it
    frequently, since this is one of my test servers.

    John

    On Wed, 27 Sep 2000 09:47:05 -0700, "Nick Vacalo"
    wrote:

    >I'm getting the "please remove media from slot xxx" error. The BENT
    >knowledge base tells me to remove and reinstall the storage devices to get
    >rid of this error, but I have an autoloader (HP 24x6 DAT), and I remember
    >reading here that there are special complications involving autoloaders (I
    >inherited this configuration, so I've never loaded the autoloader). Has
    >anyone done this? I'd like to be prepared in advance. If I delete the
    >autoloader device, what will I need to load it back in?
    >
    >Nick

+ Reply to Thread