Backing up servers is painfully slow - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Backing up servers is painfully slow - Veritas Backup Exec ; I'm running Backup Exec 7.01 on a DEC Alpha 2100, running NT 4.0, which is backed up along with 3 additional servers running the Agent Accelerator. The backup device is an Exabyte 210 with a Mammoth 8900 tape drive. 2 ...

  1. Backing up servers is painfully slow

    I'm running Backup Exec 7.01 on a DEC Alpha 2100, running NT 4.0, which is
    backed up along with 3 additional servers running the Agent Accelerator.
    The backup device is an Exabyte 210 with a Mammoth 8900 tape drive. 2 of
    the 3 additional servers are running NWLink. The server running Backup Exec
    is backed up at a rate of 110 MB per minute while the 3 additional servers
    are backed up at a rate of 10 MB per minute. I removed NWLink from one of
    the servers and this didn't impact the speed of backup at all. I also disabled
    Norton AntiVirus thinking this may be effecting the speed of backups which
    it didn't. Any ideas? Thanks.

  2. Re: Backing up servers is painfully slow

    Verify that Autonegotiate is turned off on all NICs and switch ports. I've sen
    thoughputs of 2.5-5 MB/Min jump to 180-200 MB/min after hardsetting to 100/Full on
    all interfaces.

    Brian Elkins wrote:

    > I'm running Backup Exec 7.01 on a DEC Alpha 2100, running NT 4.0, which is
    > backed up along with 3 additional servers running the Agent Accelerator.
    > The backup device is an Exabyte 210 with a Mammoth 8900 tape drive. 2 of
    > the 3 additional servers are running NWLink. The server running Backup Exec
    > is backed up at a rate of 110 MB per minute while the 3 additional servers
    > are backed up at a rate of 10 MB per minute. I removed NWLink from one of
    > the servers and this didn't impact the speed of backup at all. I also disabled
    > Norton AntiVirus thinking this may be effecting the speed of backups which
    > it didn't. Any ideas? Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread