Two Q's -- Restore selections don't show, and how to "Log On As" - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Two Q's -- Restore selections don't show, and how to "Log On As" - Veritas Backup Exec ; I must be missing something very fundamental here. I'm the sole tech person in our company, responsible for everything. Going on vacation tomorrow, wanted to create a non-administrator account that someone can use to restore files in an emergency while ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Two Q's -- Restore selections don't show, and how to "Log On As"

  1. Two Q's -- Restore selections don't show, and how to "Log On As"


    I must be missing something very fundamental here. I'm the sole tech person
    in our company, responsible for everything. Going on vacation tomorrow, wanted
    to create a non-administrator account that someone can use to restore files
    in an emergency while I'm not here. Created an account, made it a member
    of backup op and server op local groups, and domain users. When I start up
    the account two things happen -- the Backup Exec Program Group doesn't show
    up, and, like many others here, the Restore Selections window is empty.
    But they show up when I log in under my regular administrator account.

    I think this is related to my second question

  2. Re: Two Q's -- Restore selections don't show, and how to "Log On As"


    Obviously hit enter too quickly. . .

    My second question is what to "log on as," under Services. I've been using
    my Administrator account; is it better to use a System Account? I would
    change it, but I don't want to do so if it will mess up the backups while
    I'm away. I do not need a call on the first day of vacation . . . Any help
    will be appreciated, even references in "the tome" (Administrator's Guide);
    just don't have time to wade through that thing right now. Thanks in advance.

  3. Re: Two Q's -- Restore selections don't show, and how to "Log On As"

    Veritas/Seagate have always said that the BENT service account needs to
    be a member of Domain Admins. the "Backup Operators" group can bypass
    security for the purpose of backups, but cannot restore any files.

    As far as logon as, if the BENT service account is an admin account, and
    you are logged in with an admin account, use the "Use Defualt
    Connection" checkbox at the bottom of the connect box.

    jonathanv wrote:
    >
    > Obviously hit enter too quickly. . .
    >
    > My second question is what to "log on as," under Services. I've been using
    > my Administrator account; is it better to use a System Account? I would
    > change it, but I don't want to do so if it will mess up the backups while
    > I'm away. I do not need a call on the first day of vacation . . . Any help
    > will be appreciated, even references in "the tome" (Administrator's Guide);
    > just don't have time to wade through that thing right now. Thanks in advance.


  4. Re: Two Q's -- Restore selections don't show, and how to "Log On As"


    Thanks for the explanation, Ken. (I was on vacation for a while and couldn't
    get to my e-mail.) That helps - but I don't follow the part about the "Use
    Default Connection" checkbox. I'm not sure where that gets me.

    Thanks again.

    j


  5. Re: Two Q's -- Restore selections don't show, and how to "Log On As"

    When you open Remote Administrator, you should be presented with a
    connection box where you enter the Server to connect to, a
    userid/password/domain and a box marked "Use Default Connection".
    Select the server, and check the box and press "OK"

    jonathanv wrote:
    >
    > Thanks for the explanation, Ken. (I was on vacation for a while and couldn't
    > get to my e-mail.) That helps - but I don't follow the part about the "Use
    > Default Connection" checkbox. I'm not sure where that gets me.
    >
    > Thanks again.
    >
    > j


  6. Re: Two Q's -- Restore selections don't show, and how to "Log On As"


    Hm. I think I wasn't entirely clear in my previous post. I'm not using the
    Remote Administrator, so I see the box you're referring to only if I go through
    Network/Connect to Server.

    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >When you open Remote Administrator, you should be presented with a
    >connection box where you enter the Server to connect to, a
    >userid/password/domain and a box marked "Use Default Connection".
    >Select the server, and check the box and press "OK"
    >
    >jonathanv wrote:
    >>
    >> Thanks for the explanation, Ken. (I was on vacation for a while and couldn't
    >> get to my e-mail.) That helps - but I don't follow the part about the

    "Use
    >> Default Connection" checkbox. I'm not sure where that gets me.
    >>
    >> Thanks again.
    >>
    >> j



  7. Re: Two Q's -- Restore selections don't show, and how to "Log On As"

    Sorry, read the original post too quickly

    You were talking about the Service Account properties.

    If you are only backing up the local server, or if you don't mind
    "attach as" for every network computer that you backup, then Local
    System
    Account would work. Veritas recommends a dedicated domain admin
    account.

    This would bypass the need to "attach as" to every remote system.


    jonathanv wrote:
    >
    > Hm. I think I wasn't entirely clear in my previous post. I'm not using the
    > Remote Administrator, so I see the box you're referring to only if I go through
    > Network/Connect to Server.
    >
    > Ken Putnam wrote:
    > >When you open Remote Administrator, you should be presented with a
    > >connection box where you enter the Server to connect to, a
    > >userid/password/domain and a box marked "Use Default Connection".
    > >Select the server, and check the box and press "OK"
    > >
    > >jonathanv wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Thanks for the explanation, Ken. (I was on vacation for a while and couldn't
    > >> get to my e-mail.) That helps - but I don't follow the part about the

    > "Use
    > >> Default Connection" checkbox. I'm not sure where that gets me.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks again.
    > >>
    > >> j


+ Reply to Thread