Could not start the Backup Exec 8.x Agent Browser Service... - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Could not start the Backup Exec 8.x Agent Browser Service... - Veritas Backup Exec ; Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start. The Job Engine and Server won't start either. All of the other 8.x services have automatically been started. Any suggestions? -Drake...

  1. Could not start the Backup Exec 8.x Agent Browser Service...

    Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.

    The Job Engine and Server won't start either. All of the other 8.x services
    have automatically been started.

    Any suggestions?

    -Drake

  2. Server Information

    Gateway ALR 7300
    500 Mhz single processor
    512MB RAM
    NT Server 4.0 Service Pack 6

  3. Re: Could not start the Backup Exec 8.x Agent Browser Service...

    The agent browser service depends on the Job Engine service. If the Job
    Engine doesn't start, the Agent Browser can't start (even if there is
    nothing wrong with the Agent Browser). You need to look at the event log to
    see why the Job Engine service is not starting. It is possible the Job
    Engine isn't starting because of something it depends on.

    If you open regedt32 and go to the key
    HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\BackupExecA gentBrowser (and other
    BackupExec service entries), you will see the value DependOnService.

    BE Agent Browser - depends on
    LanmanServer
    LanmanWorkstation
    BackupExecJobEngine
    BE Alert Server -
    BackupExecNotificationServer
    BE Device and Media Service
    RPCSS
    BE Job Engine - depends on
    LanmanServer
    LanmanWorkstation
    BackupExecDeviceMediaService
    BackupExecRPCService
    BE Naming Service
    LanmanServer
    LanmanWorkstation
    BE Notification Server
    RPCSS
    BE RPC Service
    LanmanServer
    LanmanWorkstation
    BackupExecDeviceMediaService
    BackupExecAlertServer

    Charles Villa

    "Greg Drake" wrote in message

    > Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.
    >
    > The Job Engine and Server won't start either. All of the other 8.x

    services
    > have automatically been started.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > -Drake

  4. LanMan

    Thank you for the response.

    As I scroll through my services, niether lanmanserver nor workstation are
    listed. I'm wondering if when I did a BE 7.2 complete uninstall that it
    also removed these services. I completely remember seeing them prior to
    the uninstall about a week ago. I'm guessing that since I removed all of
    the shared components as well (not the brightest thing I could have done)
    that it did take lanman out. The only reason I guess this is, the BE uninstall
    also removed edbbcli.dll from ExchSrvr as a shared file not in the Veritas
    directory.

    Any suggestions to safely re-install the lanman services?

    Thank you!
    -Drake

  5. Re: LanMan

    I'm suprised that any software installation would have affected the lanman
    services. Even selecting the remove all shared option should not have
    messed with them. They are core NT network services. Anyway, you can
    install them from network option in control panel. Go to the services tab
    and see if 'Server' and 'Workstation' are included. If they are included,
    remove them, and reboot so you can then replace them. If not, add them.

    Good luck,
    Charles Villa

    "Greg Drake" wrote in message

    > Thank you for the response.
    >
    > As I scroll through my services, niether lanmanserver nor workstation are
    > listed. I'm wondering if when I did a BE 7.2 complete uninstall that it
    > also removed these services. I completely remember seeing them prior to
    > the uninstall about a week ago. I'm guessing that since I removed all of
    > the shared components as well (not the brightest thing I could have done)
    > that it did take lanman out. The only reason I guess this is, the BE

    uninstall
    > also removed edbbcli.dll from ExchSrvr as a shared file not in the Veritas
    > directory.
    >
    > Any suggestions to safely re-install the lanman services?
    >
    > Thank you!
    > -Drake

  6. Resolution!

    These are the steps I took to resolve this issue:
    1) Install Service Pack 6A 128-bit
    2) Reboot and downloaded MDAC 2.5 SP1 from www.microsoft.com/data
    3) Installed MDAC 2.5 SP1
    4) Reboot
    5) Service successfully loaded

  7. Re: Could not start the Backup Exec 8.x Agent Browser Service...

    Make sure you have updated to the most recent version MDAC. I had the same
    problem until I upgraded this.

    "Greg Drake" wrote:

    >Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.
    >
    >The Job Engine and Server won't start either. All of the other 8.x services
    >have automatically been started.
    >
    >Any suggestions?
    >
    >-Drake

  8. Re: Could not start the Backup Exec 8.x Agent Browser Service...

    Same problem here, except none of my BENT services will start. This seems
    to be a not uncommon problem. Has anyone reported it to Veritas? Are they
    monitoring this newsgroup? Do they know they have this problem? Am I going
    to switch to someone else's product?

    "Greg Drake" wrote:

    >Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.
    >
    >The Job Engine and Server won't start either. All of the other 8.x services
    >have automatically been started.
    >
    >Any suggestions?
    >
    >-Drake

  9. Re: Could not start the Backup Exec 8.x Agent Browser Service...

    I've seen this before. You might want to check the permissions with the
    service account you're using. I find this happens when I work with the
    service account on a library and the NT share doesn't give that account any
    permissions.

+ Reply to Thread