Drive is not responding. Backup set aborted. - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Drive is not responding. Backup set aborted. - Veritas Backup Exec ; "Drive is not responding. Backup set aborted." I get this error when trying to backup a NT 4.0 SP 6a file server. Veritas tech support lists two possibilities: One has to do with backing up an oracle DB and the ...

  1. Drive is not responding. Backup set aborted.

    "Drive is not responding. Backup set aborted."
    I get this error when trying to backup a NT 4.0 SP 6a file server.
    Veritas tech support lists two possibilities:
    One has to do with backing up an oracle DB
    and the other deals with backing up a MAC client.
    Neither of these exist on the server.
    I'm using BENT 7.3 Multi on NT 4.0 SP 6a.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks!

  2. Re: Drive is not responding. Backup set aborted.

    If you shut down all the BENT services and the BENT executable, can you
    use NTBACKUP to read and write to tapes? I guess I'm asking if you
    aren't maybe having a hardware problem with the tape drive itself.

    GaryK

    David wrote:

    > "Drive is not responding. Backup set aborted."
    > I get this error when trying to backup a NT 4.0 SP 6a file server.
    > Veritas tech support lists two possibilities:
    > One has to do with backing up an oracle DB
    > and the other deals with backing up a MAC client.
    > Neither of these exist on the server.
    > I'm using BENT 7.3 Multi on NT 4.0 SP 6a.
    > Any ideas?
    > Thanks!

  3. Re: Drive is not responding. Backup set aborted.

    It's not a problem with the tape drive. The log file is reporting that one
    of the hard drives on the network you are trying to back up is not responding.
    As a matter of fact, I am having the exact same problem. For about two
    weeks (started out of the blue) I started getting job failed, Drive not responding,
    backup set aborted errors on a number of the drives I was trying to back
    up. I found a registry hack in the kb, as well as a hot-fix for exchange.
    (Neither fix was for my problem, since I don't run exchange and am not backing
    up any 95/98 machines). This morning the log shows that only my FileServer
    (Running Windows NT Server 4.0 Service Pack 6a) is "not responding". I
    really don't understand why this started happening all of a sudden.

    Gary Karasik wrote:
    >If you shut down all the BENT services and the BENT executable, can you
    >use NTBACKUP to read and write to tapes? I guess I'm asking if you
    >aren't maybe having a hardware problem with the tape drive itself.
    >
    >GaryK
    >
    >David wrote:
    >>
    >> "Drive is not responding. Backup set aborted."
    >> I get this error when trying to backup a NT 4.0 SP 6a file server.
    >> Veritas tech support lists two possibilities:
    >> One has to do with backing up an oracle DB
    >> and the other deals with backing up a MAC client.
    >> Neither of these exist on the server.
    >> I'm using BENT 7.3 Multi on NT 4.0 SP 6a.
    >> Any ideas?
    >> Thanks!

  4. Re: Drive is not responding. Backup set aborted.

    "Bryan Fisher" wrote:

    >It's not a problem with the tape drive. The log file is reporting that

    one
    >of the hard drives on the network you are trying to back up is not responding.
    > As a matter of fact, I am having the exact same problem. For about two
    >weeks (started out of the blue) I started getting job failed, Drive not

    responding,
    >backup set aborted errors on a number of the drives I was trying to back
    >up. I found a registry hack in the kb, as well as a hot-fix for exchange.
    > (Neither fix was for my problem, since I don't run exchange and am not

    backing
    >up any 95/98 machines). This morning the log shows that only my FileServer
    >(Running Windows NT Server 4.0 Service Pack 6a) is "not responding". I
    >really don't understand why this started happening all of a sudden.
    >
    >Gary Karasik wrote:
    >>If you shut down all the BENT services and the BENT executable, can you
    >>use NTBACKUP to read and write to tapes? I guess I'm asking if you
    >>aren't maybe having a hardware problem with the tape drive itself.
    >>
    >>GaryK
    >>
    >>David wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "Drive is not responding. Backup set aborted."
    >>> I get this error when trying to backup a NT 4.0 SP 6a file server.
    >>> Veritas tech support lists two possibilities:
    >>> One has to do with backing up an oracle DB
    >>> and the other deals with backing up a MAC client.
    >>> Neither of these exist on the server.
    >>> I'm using BENT 7.3 Multi on NT 4.0 SP 6a.
    >>> Any ideas?
    >>> Thanks!

    I was having the same problem , all of my jobs would abort with drive is
    not responding. I tried to do a ping on the back up server and noticed it
    keep replying then timing out, I have a compaq server using the internal
    nic card. I put an intel nic card (pci) in the server and used that, it
    solved my problem.

  5. Re: Drive is not responding. Backup set aborted.

    2 things to look at trying. #1 Try setting the NIC on all of your servers
    to 100 MB, Full Duplex. This is assuming you are on a 100 MB network. NICs
    are set to Auto Sense, by default and for some reason this issue results.
    #2 Check TechNote ID: 191515. I realize it refers to Oracle, but at the end
    it says the change will affect all agents (including AA).

    "victoria" wrote:

    >"Bryan Fisher" wrote:
    >>
    >>It's not a problem with the tape drive. The log file is reporting that

    >one
    >>of the hard drives on the network you are trying to back up is not responding.
    >> As a matter of fact, I am having the exact same problem. For about two
    >>weeks (started out of the blue) I started getting job failed, Drive not

    >responding,
    >>backup set aborted errors on a number of the drives I was trying to back
    >>up. I found a registry hack in the kb, as well as a hot-fix for exchange.
    >> (Neither fix was for my problem, since I don't run exchange and am not

    >backing
    >>up any 95/98 machines). This morning the log shows that only my FileServer
    >>(Running Windows NT Server 4.0 Service Pack 6a) is "not responding".

    >>really don't understand why this started happening all of a sudden.
    >>
    >>Gary Karasik wrote:
    >>>If you shut down all the BENT services and the BENT executable, can you
    >>>use NTBACKUP to read and write to tapes? I guess I'm asking if you
    >>>aren't maybe having a hardware problem with the tape drive itself.
    >>>
    >>>GaryK

    >I was having the same problem , all of my jobs would abort with drive is
    >not responding. I tried to do a ping on the back up server and noticed

    it
    >keep replying then timing out, I have a compaq server using the internal
    >nic card. I put an intel nic card (pci) in the server and used that, it
    >solved my problem.

  6. Re: Drive is not responding. Backup set aborted.

    I would rather say set the NIC`s and any switches to HALF-Duplex to avoid
    network timeout issues as this is likely to be. Also try to change the value
    of the following in the registry on the Backup server:

    HKLM\software\veritas\backup exec\engine\agents "GRFS Time Out", change this
    from decimal 90 to eg 1200 and reboot the server.

    Mike

    Eric wrote in message news:3b040711$1@hronntp01....

    > 2 things to look at trying. #1 Try setting the NIC on all of your servers
    > to 100 MB, Full Duplex. This is assuming you are on a 100 MB network. NICs
    > are set to Auto Sense, by default and for some reason this issue results.
    > #2 Check TechNote ID: 191515. I realize it refers to Oracle, but at the

    end
    > it says the change will affect all agents (including AA).
    >

    > "victoria" wrote:
    > >
    > >"Bryan Fisher" wrote:
    > >>
    > >>It's not a problem with the tape drive. The log file is reporting that

    > >one
    > >>of the hard drives on the network you are trying to back up is not

    responding.
    > >> As a matter of fact, I am having the exact same problem. For about two
    > >>weeks (started out of the blue) I started getting job failed, Drive not

    > >responding,
    > >>backup set aborted errors on a number of the drives I was trying to back
    > >>up. I found a registry hack in the kb, as well as a hot-fix for

    exchange.
    > >> (Neither fix was for my problem, since I don't run exchange and am not

    > >backing
    > >>up any 95/98 machines). This morning the log shows that only my

    FileServer
    > >>(Running Windows NT Server 4.0 Service Pack 6a) is "not responding".

    > >>really don't understand why this started happening all of a sudden.

    > >I was having the same problem , all of my jobs would abort with drive is
    > >not responding. I tried to do a ping on the back up server and noticed

    > it
    > >keep replying then timing out, I have a compaq server using the internal
    > >nic card. I put an intel nic card (pci) in the server and used that, it
    > >solved my problem.

+ Reply to Thread