Jeez, all those problems !! - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Jeez, all those problems !! - Veritas Backup Exec ; Are you guys crazy, or what ? Did you all actually PAY for a Backup Software, that generates this many problems ? I mean, look at the number of questions and problems people post IN ONE DAY !! I don't ...

  1. Jeez, all those problems !!

    Are you guys crazy, or what ?
    Did you all actually PAY for a Backup Software, that generates this many
    problems ?
    I mean, look at the number of questions and problems people post IN ONE DAY
    !!
    I don't believe this ! Makes me think of Oracle !!
    I'd say, you had better read this newsgroup before buying something buggy,
    as I'm doing now !!

  2. Re: Jeez, all those problems !!

    The only reason that so many people post here is that Veritas charges
    for all Tech Support Phone calls, and that so many people don't bother
    to read the manual and/or search the Veritas Tech Support Knowledge
    Base.

    If there were something similar to this newsgroup on the Arcserve site
    or the UltraBac site, you'd probably see just as many posts there.

    Basile Van Hoorick wrote:

    > Are you guys crazy, or what ?
    > Did you all actually PAY for a Backup Software, that generates this many
    > problems ?
    > I mean, look at the number of questions and problems people post IN ONE DAY
    > !!
    > I don't believe this ! Makes me think of Oracle !!
    > I'd say, you had better read this newsgroup before buying something buggy,
    > as I'm doing now !!

  3. Re: Jeez, all those problems !!

    I'll second that one! I just switched from ArcServe to BackupExec for our
    Exchange server and don't regret it at all. I've been trying to find a solution
    to one issue on this site, but the software backs-up fine, installation was
    smooth and it has yet to lock up my server. All 3 points are a drastic change
    from the experience I had with ArcServe. On top of that, the folks at CA
    couldn't write a decent manual if their lives depended on it. I'll be adding
    Backup Exec for our SQL server as well.

    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >The only reason that so many people post here is that Veritas charges
    >for all Tech Support Phone calls, and that so many people don't bother
    >to read the manual and/or search the Veritas Tech Support Knowledge
    >Base.
    >
    >If there were something similar to this newsgroup on the Arcserve site
    >or the UltraBac site, you'd probably see just as many posts there.
    >
    >Basile Van Hoorick wrote:
    >>
    >> Are you guys crazy, or what ?
    >> Did you all actually PAY for a Backup Software, that generates this many
    >> problems ?
    >> I mean, look at the number of questions and problems people post IN ONE

    DAY
    >> !!
    >> I don't believe this ! Makes me think of Oracle !!
    >> I'd say, you had better read this newsgroup before buying something buggy,
    >> as I'm doing now !!

  4. Re: Jeez, all those problems !!

    Imagine if someone had the same thoughts about windows.

    "Basile Van Hoorick" wrote in message
    > Are you guys crazy, or what ?
    > Did you all actually PAY for a Backup Software, that generates this many
    > problems ?
    > I mean, look at the number of questions and problems people post IN ONE

    DAY
    > !!
    > I don't believe this ! Makes me think of Oracle !!
    > I'd say, you had better read this newsgroup before buying something buggy,
    > as I'm doing now !!

  5. Re: Jeez, all those problems !!

    Others disagree, but I agree with you. There are an awful lot of
    "workarounds", "oh by the way this works non-intuitively", "you have to
    delete the registry entry/ini file/data file/etc.", and "just re-compile
    the kernel" going on in the software world today.

    For some reason, there seems to be unlimited time to devise new and
    wonderous features, but near-zero to fix the old and decrepit ones. It's
    not just Bent (although it is *definitely* in the aforementioned category!).

    The excuse that "it's not as bad as product 'X'" is just that, an excuse.
    And a very poor one, if not the worst one.

    To paraphrase someone, "Hope for the best, expect the worse".

    > Are you guys crazy, or what ?
    > Did you all actually PAY for a Backup Software, that generates this many
    > problems ?
    > I mean, look at the number of questions and problems people post IN ONE

    DAY
    > !!
    > I don't believe this ! Makes me think of Oracle !!
    > I'd say, you had better read this newsgroup before buying something buggy,
    > as I'm doing now !!

  6. Re: Jeez, all those problems !!

    I totally agree with you. Things oought to be better. I just want
    people who think that switching backup software will solve all their
    backup problems to be aware that that probably won't happen.

    (And if you think that BENT works non-intuitively, then I'd love to hear
    your opinion of ArcServe. )

    don wrote:

    > Others disagree, but I agree with you. There are an awful lot of
    > "workarounds", "oh by the way this works non-intuitively", "you have to
    > delete the registry entry/ini file/data file/etc.", and "just re-compile
    > the kernel" going on in the software world today.
    >
    > For some reason, there seems to be unlimited time to devise new and
    > wonderous features, but near-zero to fix the old and decrepit ones. It's
    > not just Bent (although it is *definitely* in the aforementioned category!).
    >
    > The excuse that "it's not as bad as product 'X'" is just that, an excuse.
    > And a very poor one, if not the worst one.
    >
    > To paraphrase someone, "Hope for the best, expect the worse".
    >
    > Basile Van Hoorick wrote in message
    > > Are you guys crazy, or what ?
    > > Did you all actually PAY for a Backup Software, that generates this many
    > > problems ?
    > > I mean, look at the number of questions and problems people post IN ONE

    > DAY
    > > !!
    > > I don't believe this ! Makes me think of Oracle !!
    > > I'd say, you had better read this newsgroup before buying something buggy,
    > > as I'm doing now !!

  7. Re: Jeez, all those problems !!

    Well, I evaluated ArcServe (and others) I'm using BE!

    But if my toaster was a software-programmed device, I am sure it would not
    eject the toast 20%, burn it 10%, not heat up 25%, over or under cook 20%,
    tell me I wasn't authorized to insert bread 15%, and turn out a beautiful
    golden-brown slice of toast 10% of the time. ;-)

    Ken Putnam wrote in message
    > I totally agree with you. Things oought to be better. I just want
    > people who think that switching backup software will solve all their
    > backup problems to be aware that that probably won't happen.

  8. Re: Jeez, all those problems !!

    >Veritas charges for all Tech Support Phone calls

    Believe me, the support on this newsgroup is *much* better than the support
    I've received in the 3 calls I've made to Veritas. We received a free 1 yr
    maintenance contract with our upgrade from 7.01 Multi-server to 8.0, and
    I'll probably never call again.

    That's why I'm here.

    --Marsh

    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > The only reason that so many people post here is that Veritas charges
    > for all Tech Support Phone calls, and that so many people don't bother
    > to read the manual and/or search the Veritas Tech Support Knowledge
    > Base.
    >
    > If there were something similar to this newsgroup on the Arcserve site
    > or the UltraBac site, you'd probably see just as many posts there.
    >
    > Basile Van Hoorick wrote:
    > >
    > > Are you guys crazy, or what ?
    > > Did you all actually PAY for a Backup Software, that generates this many
    > > problems ?
    > > I mean, look at the number of questions and problems people post IN ONE

    DAY
    > > !!
    > > I don't believe this ! Makes me think of Oracle !!
    > > I'd say, you had better read this newsgroup before buying something

    buggy,
    > > as I'm doing now !!

  9. Re: Jeez, all those problems !!

    BE is not what it should be, but you're SO right about Arcserve, Ken. It
    feels as if it were ported from a version first developed on Venus.

    GaryK

    Ken Putnam wrote:

    > I totally agree with you. Things oought to be better. I just want
    > people who think that switching backup software will solve all their
    > backup problems to be aware that that probably won't happen.
    >
    > (And if you think that BENT works non-intuitively, then I'd love to hear
    > your opinion of ArcServe. )
    >
    > don wrote:
    > >
    > > Others disagree, but I agree with you. There are an awful lot of
    > > "workarounds", "oh by the way this works non-intuitively", "you have to
    > > delete the registry entry/ini file/data file/etc.", and "just re-compile
    > > the kernel" going on in the software world today.
    > >
    > > For some reason, there seems to be unlimited time to devise new and
    > > wonderous features, but near-zero to fix the old and decrepit ones. It's
    > > not just Bent (although it is *definitely* in the aforementioned category!).
    > >
    > > The excuse that "it's not as bad as product 'X'" is just that, an excuse.
    > > And a very poor one, if not the worst one.
    > >
    > > To paraphrase someone, "Hope for the best, expect the worse".
    > >
    > > Basile Van Hoorick wrote in message
    > > > Are you guys crazy, or what ?
    > > > Did you all actually PAY for a Backup Software, that generates this many
    > > > problems ?
    > > > I mean, look at the number of questions and problems people post IN ONE

    > > DAY
    > > > !!
    > > > I don't believe this ! Makes me think of Oracle !!
    > > > I'd say, you had better read this newsgroup before buying something buggy,
    > > > as I'm doing now !!

  10. Re: Jeez, all those problems !!

    I agree with you that BE should (and could) be better, but there aren't
    that many daily posts here. Check out some of the Microsoft newsgroups.
    A good chunk of the messages here arise because Ken Putnam spends a lot
    of time replying and following up. You won't find that in many other
    newsgroups.

    GaryK

    Basile Van Hoorick wrote:

    > Are you guys crazy, or what ?
    > Did you all actually PAY for a Backup Software, that generates this many
    > problems ?
    > I mean, look at the number of questions and problems people post IN ONE DAY
    > !!
    > I don't believe this ! Makes me think of Oracle !!
    > I'd say, you had better read this newsgroup before buying something buggy,
    > as I'm doing now !!

+ Reply to Thread