Restore selections not displayed - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Restore selections not displayed - Veritas Backup Exec ; Restore selections are not displayed in the Restore Selections tab using Backup Exec 7 for Windows NT. I downloaded Tech Note 190924. A Backup Exec Event ID 34325 is not dicplayed in the Application Log of the Windows Event Viewer. ...

  1. Restore selections not displayed

    Restore selections are not displayed in the Restore Selections tab using
    Backup Exec 7 for Windows NT. I downloaded Tech Note 190924. A Backup Exec
    Event ID 34325 is not dicplayed in the Application Log of the Windows Event
    Viewer. The catalog entry in the registry apears to be correct.

    I'd appreciate any help.

    Lionel

    Lionel Robinson lrobinson@usbnc.org

    Information Services Department
    Baha'i National Organization, US

  2. Re: Restore selections not displayed

    Lionel,

    Try inventorying the drive, and then cataloguing the tape.

    ~Kristin

    "Lionel Robinson" wrote:
    >Restore selections are not displayed in the Restore Selections tab using
    >Backup Exec 7 for Windows NT. I downloaded Tech Note 190924. A Backup

    Exec
    >Event ID 34325 is not dicplayed in the Application Log of the Windows Event
    >Viewer. The catalog entry in the registry apears to be correct.
    >
    >I'd appreciate any help.
    >
    >Lionel
    >
    >--
    >.................................................. ...............
    >Lionel Robinson lrobinson@usbnc.org
    >
    >Information Services Department
    >Baha'i National Organization, US

  3. Re: Restore selections not displayed

    Kristin,

    Thanks for answering. I inventoried the drive and cataloged the tape. Both
    successful. When I try to restore the tape, it tells me that it can't be
    found in the catalog. And what happened to the two-year accumulation of
    entries in the catalog?

    Lionel

    "Kristin" wrote in message news:39ae90d8$1@hronntp01....

    > Lionel,
    >
    > Try inventorying the drive, and then cataloguing the tape.
    >
    > ~Kristin
    >
    > "Lionel Robinson" wrote:
    > >Restore selections are not displayed in the Restore Selections tab using
    > >Backup Exec 7 for Windows NT. I downloaded Tech Note 190924. A Backup

    > Exec
    > >Event ID 34325 is not dicplayed in the Application Log of the Windows

    Event
    > >Viewer. The catalog entry in the registry apears to be correct.
    > >
    > >I'd appreciate any help.
    > >
    > >Lionel
    > >
    > >--
    > >.................................................. ...............
    > >Lionel Robinson lrobinson@usbnc.org
    > >
    > >Information Services Department
    > >Baha'i National Organization, US

  4. Re: Restore selections not displayed

    Try this

    Stop all BENT services
    go to the \catalogs directory and delete the BETOPCAT.IDX file
    restart the services

    BENT should rebuild the catalog index and all you old tapes should be
    there.

    Lionel Robinson wrote:

    > Kristin,
    >
    > Thanks for answering. I inventoried the drive and cataloged the tape. Both
    > successful. When I try to restore the tape, it tells me that it can't be
    > found in the catalog. And what happened to the two-year accumulation of
    > entries in the catalog?
    >
    > Lionel
    >
    > "Kristin" wrote in message news:39ae90d8$1@hronntp01....
    > >
    > > Lionel,
    > >
    > > Try inventorying the drive, and then cataloguing the tape.
    > >
    > > ~Kristin
    > >
    > > "Lionel Robinson" wrote:
    > > >Restore selections are not displayed in the Restore Selections tab using
    > > >Backup Exec 7 for Windows NT. I downloaded Tech Note 190924. A Backup

    > > Exec
    > > >Event ID 34325 is not dicplayed in the Application Log of the Windows

    > Event
    > > >Viewer. The catalog entry in the registry apears to be correct.
    > > >
    > > >I'd appreciate any help.
    > > >
    > > >Lionel
    > > >
    > > >--
    > > >.................................................. ...............
    > > >Lionel Robinson lrobinson@usbnc.org
    > > >
    > > >Information Services Department
    > > >Baha'i National Organization, US

  5. Re: Restore selections not displayed

    When you go to the "restore selections" tab, what do you see?
    In BE 7.2 or 7.3, you should see either a list of volumes (computers)
    or a list of media, depending on what you have selected in the 'views'
    menu.

    Are you just trying to restore basic NT files, or are you restoring
    things like SQL or Exchange files?

    Kristin

    "Lionel Robinson" wrote:
    >Kristin,
    >
    >Thanks for answering. I inventoried the drive and cataloged the tape.

    Both
    >successful. When I try to restore the tape, it tells me that it can't be
    >found in the catalog. And what happened to the two-year accumulation of
    >entries in the catalog?
    >
    >Lionel
    >
    >"Kristin" wrote in message news:39ae90d8$1@hronntp01....
    >>
    >> Lionel,
    >>
    >> Try inventorying the drive, and then cataloguing the tape.
    >>
    >> ~Kristin
    >>
    >> "Lionel Robinson" wrote:
    >> >Restore selections are not displayed in the Restore Selections tab using
    >> >Backup Exec 7 for Windows NT. I downloaded Tech Note 190924. A Backup

    >> Exec
    >> >Event ID 34325 is not dicplayed in the Application Log of the Windows

    >Event
    >> >Viewer. The catalog entry in the registry apears to be correct.
    >> >
    >> >I'd appreciate any help.
    >> >
    >> >Lionel
    >> >
    >> >--
    >> >.................................................. ...............
    >> >Lionel Robinson lrobinson@usbnc.org
    >> >
    >> >Information Services Department
    >> >Baha'i National Organization, US

  6. Re: Restore selections not displayed

    Thanks, Ken

    I did that. When I restarted the services, betopcat.idx was rebuilt,
    slightly larger than it had been. But the restore selections are still not
    displayed.

    Lionel

    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > Try this
    >
    > Stop all BENT services
    > go to the \catalogs directory and delete the BETOPCAT.IDX file
    > restart the services
    >
    > BENT should rebuild the catalog index and all you old tapes should be
    > there.

  7. Re: Restore selections not displayed

    Hi, Kristin

    No matter which I select, volumes or media, nothing is listed but the
    top-level "All Media" line.

    Note that I rebuilt the catalog index following Ken's instructions. No
    effect.

    Lionel

    > >> Lionel,
    > >>
    > >> Try inventorying the drive, and then cataloguing the tape.
    > >>
    > >> ~Kristin

    using

    Backup
    > >> Exec

    > >Event

  8. Re: Restore selections not displayed

    Probably red herrings if things were working, but see
    TechNote ID: 191423 at
    http://seer.support.veritas.com/tnotes/bewnt/191423.htm
    or TechNote ID: 191382 at
    http://seer.support.veritas.com/tnotes/bewnt/191382.htm

    Lionel Robinson wrote:

    > Thanks, Ken
    >
    > I did that. When I restarted the services, betopcat.idx was rebuilt,
    > slightly larger than it had been. But the restore selections are still not
    > displayed.
    >
    > Lionel
    >
    > "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > > Try this
    > >
    > > Stop all BENT services
    > > go to the \catalogs directory and delete the BETOPCAT.IDX file
    > > restart the services
    > >
    > > BENT should rebuild the catalog index and all you old tapes should be
    > > there.

  9. Re: Restore selections not displayed

    From Tech Note 191423 -- The backup user account wasn't in the
    Administrators group. I added it, and that fixed it.

    Thanks Ken and Kristin for your help.

    Lionel

    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > Probably red herrings if things were working, but see
    > TechNote ID: 191423 at
    > http://seer.support.veritas.com/tnotes/bewnt/191423.htm
    > or TechNote ID: 191382 at
    > http://seer.support.veritas.com/tnotes/bewnt/191382.htm
    >
    > Lionel Robinson wrote:
    > >
    > > Thanks, Ken
    > >
    > > I did that. When I restarted the services, betopcat.idx was rebuilt,
    > > slightly larger than it had been. But the restore selections are still

    not
    > > displayed.
    > >
    > > Lionel
    > >
    > > "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > > > Try this
    > > >
    > > > Stop all BENT services
    > > > go to the \catalogs directory and delete the BETOPCAT.IDX file
    > > > restart the services
    > > >
    > > > BENT should rebuild the catalog index and all you old tapes should be
    > > > there.

+ Reply to Thread