Can BENT 7.3 Read HP SureStor DDS3 Tapes? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Can BENT 7.3 Read HP SureStor DDS3 Tapes? - Veritas Backup Exec ; We are acquiring another company, who run HP SureStor software backing up their SQL Server 7.0 databases to DDS3 tapes. We run BENT 7.3 to back up our SQL Server 7.0 databases. We'd like to, ideally, run a backup on ...

  1. Can BENT 7.3 Read HP SureStor DDS3 Tapes?

    We are acquiring another company, who run HP SureStor software backing up
    their SQL Server 7.0 databases to DDS3 tapes.

    We run BENT 7.3 to back up our SQL Server 7.0 databases.

    We'd like to, ideally, run a backup on the other company's machine,
    physically insert their backup tape in our machine, and then restore their
    databases to our server.

    Can BENT do this? Are the tape formats compatible?

    Thanks!

    --
    ________________________________
    Another Message From L. Mark Stone

  2. Re: Can BENT 7.3 Read HP SureStor DDS3 Tapes?

    There is no "SureStore software" from HP. They *used to* ship STAC's
    "Replica software-
    is this the package used? If so the answer is no. Every vendor of backup
    software has a tendancy
    to use propriotary data-formatting written to tape. The physical formatting
    *under that*-
    ie the "recording format" on the DAT/DDS-tapes is standardised however.

    Hope this helps?

    jk
    PS "SureStore" is HPs brand for packaged tape-drives for network-solutions
    you could say in this case.
    Compare with "Colorado" which is tape drives packaged for retail/personal
    use.

    L. Mark Stone wrote in message
    > We are acquiring another company, who run HP SureStor software backing up
    > their SQL Server 7.0 databases to DDS3 tapes.
    > We run BENT 7.3 to back up our SQL Server 7.0 databases.
    > We'd like to, ideally, run a backup on the other company's machine,
    > physically insert their backup tape in our machine, and then restore their
    > databases to our server.
    > Can BENT do this? Are the tape formats compatible?
    > Another Message From L. Mark Stone
    > Mark@ArgentTrading.com

+ Reply to Thread