Backup Exec. 7.3 - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Backup Exec. 7.3 - Veritas Backup Exec ; After an hour of trying to back up NT system. The Status goes to On Hold and the % Complete goes to Unknown. What should I try to correct this problem....

  1. Backup Exec. 7.3

    After an hour of trying to back up NT system. The Status goes to On Hold and
    the % Complete goes to Unknown. What should I try to correct this problem.

  2. Re: Backup Exec. 7.3

    Any errors in the Job log or Event Logs?

    David Dominguez wrote:

    > After an hour of trying to back up NT system. The Status goes to On Hold and
    > the % Complete goes to Unknown. What should I try to correct this problem.

  3. Re: Backup Exec. 7.3

    Ken,

    I have nothing in the NT Event Log and nothing in the Alerts tab for Backup
    Exec.

    David

    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >Any errors in the Job log or Event Logs?
    >
    >David Dominguez wrote:
    >>
    >> After an hour of trying to back up NT system. The Status goes to On Hold

    and
    >> the % Complete goes to Unknown. What should I try to correct this problem.

  4. Re: Backup Exec. 7.3

    Are there any job logs in the BENT Job Monitor, what do they report?

    David wrote:

    > Ken,
    >
    > I have nothing in the NT Event Log and nothing in the Alerts tab for Backup
    > Exec.
    >
    > David
    >
    > Ken Putnam wrote:
    > >Any errors in the Job log or Event Logs?
    > >
    > >David Dominguez wrote:
    > >>
    > >> After an hour of trying to back up NT system. The Status goes to On Hold

    > and
    > >> the % Complete goes to Unknown. What should I try to correct this problem.

  5. Re: Backup Exec. 7.3

    Ken,

    Here is what comes out on the Log File for the Job that failed in BENT:

    No appendable media could be mounted.
    Switching to overwrite operation on scratch media.

    Drive and media information from media mount:
    Drive Name: SONY 0
    Media Cartridge Label: 4M000001
    Targeted Media Set Name: Media Set 1

    Job Operation - Backup
    Media operation - overwrite.
    Hardware compression enabled.

    Media Name: "Media created 08/31/00 11:12:49 AM"
    Backup of "C: NT40_NTFSM"
    Backup set #1 on storage media #1
    Backup set description: "Backup 0036"
    Backup Type: NORMAL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit
    Backup started on 8/31/00 at 11:13:10 AM.
    File "VxSvc.log" in use - Backed up.
    File "errors.log" in use - Backed up.
    The item \Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\pvl.ldb in use - skipped.
    File "pvl.mdb" in use - Backed up.
    The item \TEMP\~DF5661.tmp in use - skipped.
    File "~DF5680.tmp" in use - Backed up.
    The item \WINNT\JET10.tmp in use - skipped.
    The item \WINNT\JET11.tmp in use - skipped.
    The item \WINNT\JETF.tmp in use - skipped.

    Backup completed on 8/31/00 at 11:16:39 AM.
    Backed up 10010 files in 704 directories.
    4 files were in use
    5 items were skipped.
    Processed 669,254,303 bytes in 3 minutes and 29 seconds.
    Throughput rate: 183.2 MB/min

    Media Name: "Media created 08/31/00 11:12:49 AM"
    Backup of "D: "
    Backup set #2 on storage media #1
    Backup set description: "Backup 0036"
    Backup Type: NORMAL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit
    Backup started on 8/31/00 at 11:16:39 AM.
    The item \apps\Data Bases\Brazildb\Brazil Policy Data.ldb in use - skipped.
    File "Brazil Policy Data.mdb" in use - Backed up.
    The item \apps\Data Bases\Brazildb\Brazil Policy Program.ldb in use - skipped.
    File "Brazil Policy Program.mdb" in use - Backed up.

    Drive and media information from media mount:
    Drive Name: SONY 0
    Media Cartridge Label: 4M000001
    Targeted Media Set Name: Media Set 1
    The media provided to continue the backup already contains data
    from one or more sets created during this operation.
    The operation can not be continued

    Backup completed on 8/31/00 at 12:42:29 PM.
    Backed up 11854 files in 745 directories.
    2 files were in use
    2 items were skipped.
    Processed 10,841,856,121 bytes in 1 hour, 24 minutes, and 44 seconds.
    Throughput rate: 122.0 MB/min

    Job ended: Thursday, August 31, 2000 at 12:42:29 PM
    Job completion status: Failed

    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >Are there any job logs in the BENT Job Monitor, what do they report?
    >
    >David wrote:
    >>
    >> Ken,
    >>
    >> I have nothing in the NT Event Log and nothing in the Alerts tab for Backup
    >> Exec.
    >>
    >> David
    >>
    >> Ken Putnam wrote:
    >> >Any errors in the Job log or Event Logs?

    Hold
    >> and

  6. Re: Backup Exec. 7.3

    The answer is in the following lines

    The media provided to continue the backup already contains data
    from one or more sets created during this operation.
    The operation can not be continued

    This very badly worded (IMHO) message means that you have filled the
    tape
    and BENT has tried to re-load the same tape to continue the job. Since
    that would wipe out the first part of this backup set, BENT quite
    rightly refuses to do it.

    David wrote:

> [...]
    > from one or more sets created during this operation.
    > The operation can not be continued
    >
    > Backup completed on 8/31/00 at 12:42:29 PM.
    > Backed up 11854 files in 745 directories.
    > 2 files were in use
    > 2 items were skipped.
    > Processed 10,841,856,121 bytes in 1 hour, 24 minutes, and 44 seconds.
    > Throughput rate: 122.0 MB/min
    >
    > ================================================== ====================
    > Job ended: Thursday, August 31, 2000 at 12:42:29 PM
    > Job completion status: Failed
    > ================================================== ====================
    >
    > Ken Putnam wrote:
    > >Are there any job logs in the BENT Job Monitor, what do they report?
    > >
    > >David wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Ken,
    > >>
    > >> I have nothing in the NT Event Log and nothing in the Alerts tab for Backup

  7. Re: Backup Exec. 7.3

    Ken,

    So when I create a new job and it asks me to select on of the following options
    which one should I pick if I want all data on tape to be overwitten.

    1.- Overwrite media

    2.- Append to media, overwrite if no appendable media is available

    3.- Append to media, terminate job if no appendable media is available

    Also is there a way of clean out the tapes in BENT.

    Thanks
    David

    Ken Putnam wrote:
> [...]

    >> Drive Name: SONY 0
    >> Media Cartridge Label: 4M000001
    >> Targeted Media Set Name: Media Set 1
    >> The media provided to continue the backup already contains data
    >> from one or more sets created during this operation.
    >> The operation can not be continued
    >>
    >> Backup completed on 8/31/00 at 12:42:29 PM.
    >> Backed up 11854 files in 745 directories.
    >> 2 files were in use
    >> 2 items were skipped.
    >> Processed 10,841,856,121 bytes in 1 hour, 24 minutes, and 44 seconds.
    >> Throughput rate: 122.0 MB/min
    >>
    >> ================================================== ====================
    >> Job ended: Thursday, August 31, 2000 at 12:42:29 PM
    >> Job completion status: Failed
    >> ================================================== ====================
    >>
    >> Ken Putnam wrote:
    >> >Are there any job logs in the BENT Job Monitor, what do they report?

  8. Re: Backup Exec. 7.3

    If you mean to wipe the contents, just drag the tape to the scratch
    media set before the job runs.

    As for defining the job: If you are running scheduled jobs, and want to
    keep the data for a specific time (say daily and 2 weeks retention) then
    set the retention period on the media set to 12 days, and set the job to
    overwrite.

    The next time that tape comes up in rotation, then BENT should use it
    with no prompts at all.

    David wrote:

> [...]
    > >> The item \apps\Data Bases\Brazildb\Brazil Policy Program.ldb in use -

    > skipped.
    > >> File "Brazil Policy Program.mdb" in use - Backed up.
    > >>
    > >> Drive and media information from media mount:
    > >> Drive Name: SONY 0
    > >> Media Cartridge Label: 4M000001
    > >> Targeted Media Set Name: Media Set 1
    > >> The media provided to continue the backup already contains data
    > >> from one or more sets created during this operation.
    > >> The operation can not be continued
    > >>
    > >> Backup completed on 8/31/00 at 12:42:29 PM.
    > >> Backed up 11854 files in 745 directories.
    > >> 2 files were in use
    > >> 2 items were skipped.
    > >> Processed 10,841,856,121 bytes in 1 hour, 24 minutes, and 44 seconds.
    > >> Throughput rate: 122.0 MB/min
    > >>
    > >> ================================================== ====================
    > >> Job ended: Thursday, August 31, 2000 at 12:42:29 PM

  9. Re: Backup Exec. 7.3

    Ken,

    Thank you very much. You are the greatest.

    David

    -
    >> skipped.

    for