Backing up clients - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Backing up clients - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hello, Excuse me if this question is answered in the (big) manual, in that case I need glasses. We are running Backup Exec 8 (for Windows NT/2000 Server ) on our network. We are about to start backing up clients, ...

  1. Backing up clients

    Hello,

    Excuse me if this question is answered in the (big) manual, in that case I
    need glasses.

    We are running Backup Exec 8 (for Windows NT/2000 Server ) on our network.
    We are about to start backing up clients, in addition to the servers.
    At this point I found the 9x client, but I am slightly confused about my NT
    workstations. The 9x client won't install on them, so I'm guessing I need a
    NT client, or worst case more BE licenses. Please tell me the latter is not
    the case?

    A.

  2. Re: Backing up clients

    For NT4 clients, just browse to them via the MS Networks tree.

    For W2KPro clients, you can do the same, but will not be able to do a
    disaster-recovery type restore, only a data restore. For DR-type
    restores you'll need to purchase a copy of the NTAgent for each
    workstation.

    "A. de Vet" wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Excuse me if this question is answered in the (big) manual, in that case I
    > need glasses.
    >
    > We are running Backup Exec 8 (for Windows NT/2000 Server ) on our network.
    > We are about to start backing up clients, in addition to the servers.
    > At this point I found the 9x client, but I am slightly confused about my NT
    > workstations. The 9x client won't install on them, so I'm guessing I need a
    > NT client, or worst case more BE licenses. Please tell me the latter is not
    > the case?
    >
    > A.

  3. Re: Backing up clients

    Just a tip:
    A cool solution would be the "client backup box" from HP.
    HP SureStore Autobackup -- it has a built in CD Writer that allows for
    disaster recovery for
    up to approx 100 clients per box/appliance.
    Sort of like Netbackup professional, but built into an applicance type
    device.
    www.hp.com/go/autobackup

    jk

    Ken Putnam wrote in message
    > For NT4 clients, just browse to them via the MS Networks tree.
    >
    > For W2KPro clients, you can do the same, but will not be able to do a
    > disaster-recovery type restore, only a data restore. For DR-type
    > restores you'll need to purchase a copy of the NTAgent for each
    > workstation.
    >
    > "A. de Vet" wrote:
    > >
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > Excuse me if this question is answered in the (big) manual, in that case

    > > need glasses.
    > >
    > > We are running Backup Exec 8 (for Windows NT/2000 Server ) on our

    network.
    > > We are about to start backing up clients, in addition to the servers.
    > > At this point I found the 9x client, but I am slightly confused about my

    NT
    > > workstations. The 9x client won't install on them, so I'm guessing I

    need a
    > > NT client, or worst case more BE licenses. Please tell me the latter is

    not
    > > the case?
    > >
    > > A.

  4. Re: Backing up clients

    Ken

    I thought you didn't need to purchase an AA license for use on WIN2K Pro.
    You only need the license for W2K Servers.

    Allan Snow

    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >For NT4 clients, just browse to them via the MS Networks tree.
    >
    >For W2KPro clients, you can do the same, but will not be able to do a
    >disaster-recovery type restore, only a data restore. For DR-type
    >restores you'll need to purchase a copy of the NTAgent for each
    >workstation.
    >
    >"A. de Vet" wrote:
    >>
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> Excuse me if this question is answered in the (big) manual, in that case

    >> need glasses.
    >>
    >> We are running Backup Exec 8 (for Windows NT/2000 Server ) on our network.
    >> We are about to start backing up clients, in addition to the servers.
    >> At this point I found the 9x client, but I am slightly confused about

    my NT
    >> workstations. The 9x client won't install on them, so I'm guessing I need

    >> NT client, or worst case more BE licenses. Please tell me the latter is

    not
    >> the case?
    >>
    >> A.

  5. Re: Backing up clients

    Allan, You're right, of course. There have been so many questions about
    backing up W2K from V7 that I crossed a few wires somewhere. A copy of
    the agent would probably speed things up, if it would install, tho

    Allan Snow wrote:

    > Ken
    >
    > I thought you didn't need to purchase an AA license for use on WIN2K Pro.
    > You only need the license for W2K Servers.
    >
    > Allan Snow
    >
    > Ken Putnam wrote:
    > >For NT4 clients, just browse to them via the MS Networks tree.
    > >
    > >For W2KPro clients, you can do the same, but will not be able to do a
    > >disaster-recovery type restore, only a data restore. For DR-type
    > >restores you'll need to purchase a copy of the NTAgent for each
    > >workstation.
    > >
    > >"A. de Vet" wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Hello,
    > >>
    > >> Excuse me if this question is answered in the (big) manual, in that case

    > >> need glasses.
    > >>
    > >> We are running Backup Exec 8 (for Windows NT/2000 Server ) on our network.
    > >> We are about to start backing up clients, in addition to the servers.
    > >> At this point I found the 9x client, but I am slightly confused about

    > my NT
    > >> workstations. The 9x client won't install on them, so I'm guessing I need

    > >> NT client, or worst case more BE licenses. Please tell me the latter is

    > not
    > >> the case?
    > >>
    > >> A.

+ Reply to Thread