Recommended scheduling for 1 year retention? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Recommended scheduling for 1 year retention? - Veritas Backup Exec ; As you can probably tell from the number of posts I have made recently I need help with a backup system I am working on. Newest question is: Scheduling. I was looking at the grandfather (I think it is called) ...

  1. Recommended scheduling for 1 year retention?

    As you can probably tell from the number of posts I have made recently I
    need help with a backup system I am working on.

    Newest question is:

    Scheduling. I was looking at the grandfather (I think it is called) method.

    I think that I would need three methods scheduled:
    1. Daily Differential with partial overwrite for 6 days for Mon-Thurs.
    2. Weekly full for Friday with partial overwrite for 3 weeks.
    3. Monthly Full for last Friday of Month with partial overwrite protection
    for 1 year.

    My question is: Is my thinking above correct? If so for method number 2 do
    I define the scheduling to be the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Friday of the month? Or
    1st, 2nd 3rd, and 4th? How do I keep method 2 and 3 above from coming up on
    the same day?

    Thanks Again,
    Bob Williamson

  2. Re: Recommended scheduling for 1 year retention?

    Why not just do a full backup nightly.

    Jim

    "Bob Williamson" wrote:
    >As you can probably tell from the number of posts I have made recently I
    >need help with a backup system I am working on.
    >
    >Newest question is:
    >
    >Scheduling. I was looking at the grandfather (I think it is called) method.
    >
    >I think that I would need three methods scheduled:
    >1. Daily Differential with partial overwrite for 6 days for Mon-Thurs.
    >2. Weekly full for Friday with partial overwrite for 3 weeks.
    >3. Monthly Full for last Friday of Month with partial overwrite protection
    >for 1 year.
    >
    >My question is: Is my thinking above correct? If so for method number

    2 do
    >I define the scheduling to be the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Friday of the month?

    Or
    >1st, 2nd 3rd, and 4th? How do I keep method 2 and 3 above from coming up

    on
    >the same day?
    >
    >Thanks Again,
    >Bob Williamson

  3. Re: Recommended scheduling for 1 year retention?

    Hi Bob,

    I am new with BENT as well. At our company we only need to have a three
    month retention period. The only way I could think to have it scheduled
    correctly was to use the advanced scheduling to choose the specific dates.
    This is not ideal as the scheduling is not automatic.

    If you think of or have found a better way to do this, please let me know.

    Geoff

    "Bob Williamson" wrote in message
    > As you can probably tell from the number of posts I have made recently I
    > need help with a backup system I am working on.
    >
    > Newest question is:
    >
    > Scheduling. I was looking at the grandfather (I think it is called)

    method.

    > I think that I would need three methods scheduled:
    > 1. Daily Differential with partial overwrite for 6 days for Mon-Thurs.
    > 2. Weekly full for Friday with partial overwrite for 3 weeks.
    > 3. Monthly Full for last Friday of Month with partial overwrite

    protection
    > for 1 year.
    >
    > My question is: Is my thinking above correct? If so for method number 2

    do
    > I define the scheduling to be the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Friday of the month?

    Or
    > 1st, 2nd 3rd, and 4th? How do I keep method 2 and 3 above from coming up

    on
    > the same day?
    >
    > Thanks Again,
    > Bob Williamson