Remote backups - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Remote backups - Veritas Backup Exec ; I'm currently using one tape device in my corporate office to backup data across our WAN. I'd like to put another device in each of the remote cities & back up the data locally to speed things up. Will my ...

  1. Remote backups

    I'm currently using one tape device in my corporate office to backup data
    across our WAN. I'd like to put another device in each of the remote cities
    & back up the data locally to speed things up. Will my Enterprise Edition
    of BENT 7.3 be able to see & control these remote devices, or will I need
    to run a separate instance of BENT in the other offices?

  2. Re: Remote backups

    Thanks Ken, I was afraid of that. Do you know if that's true for version 8
    as well?

    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >You need a copy of Backup Exec for each machine that "owns" a tape
    >drive.
    >
    >Kim Kovacs wrote:
    >>
    >> I'm currently using one tape device in my corporate office to backup data
    >> across our WAN. I'd like to put another device in each of the remote

    cities
    >> & back up the data locally to speed things up. Will my Enterprise Edition
    >> of BENT 7.3 be able to see & control these remote devices, or will I need
    >> to run a separate instance of BENT in the other offices?

  3. Re: Remote backups

    Kim Kovacs wrote:

    > I'm currently using one tape device in my corporate office to backup data
    > across our WAN. I'd like to put another device in each of the remote cities
    > & back up the data locally to speed things up. Will my Enterprise Edition
    > of BENT 7.3 be able to see & control these remote devices, or will I need
    > to run a separate instance of BENT in the other offices?

  4. Re: Remote backups

    Yep.

    Kim Kovacs wrote:

    > Thanks Ken, I was afraid of that. Do you know if that's true for version 8
    > as well?
    >
    > Ken Putnam wrote:
    > >You need a copy of Backup Exec for each machine that "owns" a tape
    > >drive.
    > >
    > >Kim Kovacs wrote:
    > >>
    > >> I'm currently using one tape device in my corporate office to backup data
    > >> across our WAN. I'd like to put another device in each of the remote

    > cities
    > >> & back up the data locally to speed things up. Will my Enterprise Edition
    > >> of BENT 7.3 be able to see & control these remote devices, or will I need
    > >> to run a separate instance of BENT in the other offices?

+ Reply to Thread