New media set: how do I go about it? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on New media set: how do I go about it? - Veritas Backup Exec ; The current set of tapes is getting unreliable and a brand new set of tapes is going to be used to replace them. How would I go about transferring the backup jobs without having to recreate all the jobs? i.e- ...

  1. New media set: how do I go about it?

    The current set of tapes is getting unreliable and a brand new set of tapes
    is going to be used to replace them. How would I go about transferring the
    backup jobs without having to recreate all the jobs? i.e- I'm guessing it
    won't work if I just slip in the new tape in place of the old one. Do I need
    to create a new media set and use this as the default??

    thanks,

    steve

  2. Re: New media set: how do I go about it?

    Actually, just putting the tape(s) in should work, since BENT places the tape in
    the correct media set when the header is written.

    If you have local naming conventions for your tapes (ie Monday, or 2nd Friday,
    or March Archive) or whatever, then just label the tape before it is used the
    first time. This will ensure that BENT knows about the tape and that it is in
    scratch status.

    Steve wrote:

    > The current set of tapes is getting unreliable and a brand new set of tapes
    > is going to be used to replace them. How would I go about transferring the
    > backup jobs without having to recreate all the jobs? i.e- I'm guessing it
    > won't work if I just slip in the new tape in place of the old one. Do I need
    > to create a new media set and use this as the default??
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > steve

  3. Re: New media set: how do I go about it?

    OK, just one final question:

    How do I acually label the media? for example, the curent media is simply
    named: Mc001 etc.

    thanks

  4. Re: New media set: how do I go about it?

    Put the tape in the drive
    media tab
    right click, inventory (so that BENT knows what tape is actually loaded)
    right click, label

    Steve wrote:

    > OK, just one final question:
    >
    > How do I acually label the media? for example, the curent media is simply
    > named: Mc001 etc.
    >
    > thanks

+ Reply to Thread