Re-Labeling Media - Without erasing - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Re-Labeling Media - Without erasing - Veritas Backup Exec ; I need to know if there is a way that I can relable a cartridge without erasing the contents? I have some old Archive tapes that I wish to change the label so that they aren't DL0001, DL0002 ect... I ...

  1. Re-Labeling Media - Without erasing

    I need to know if there is a way that I can relable a cartridge without erasing
    the contents? I have some old Archive tapes that I wish to change the label
    so that they aren't DL0001, DL0002 ect... I would like them to be Archive
    1, Archive 2, Archive 3... ect...

    Thanks for your help!

    John Gibson

  2. Re: Re-Labeling Media - Without erasing

    This is from a post someone put up re: recovering data from a tape that
    had a job start writing to it. Sounds like the same procedure ought to
    work for re-labeling a tape too.
    (Might wnat to test with a tape that has non-critcal data on it first
    )

    (From Backup Exec Support)

    Open Backup Exec, go to tools/options.
    Go to Catalog tab.
    Uncheck the option to "Use Storage Media-Based catalogs",
    Then inventory/catalog the tape.
    This will allow the software to create a catalog of the tape, file for
    file.

    If the catalog does not appear in restore selections.
    Close Backup Exec, stop all BENT services in the Control Panel.
    Open the Explorer and go to \program files\veritas\backup exec\nt.
    Rename the Catalogs folder to catalogs_old
    Start all BENT services and Open BE.
    Then inventory/catalog the tape, with the above option unselected.

    John Gibson wrote:

    > I need to know if there is a way that I can relable a cartridge without erasing
    > the contents? I have some old Archive tapes that I wish to change the label
    > so that they aren't DL0001, DL0002 ect... I would like them to be Archive
    > 1, Archive 2, Archive 3... ect...
    >
    > Thanks for your help!
    >
    > John Gibson

  3. Re: Re-Labeling Media - Without erasing

    On 31 Jul 2000 13:19:22 -0400, John Gibson wrote:

    > I need to know if there is a way that I can relable a cartridge without erasing
    > the contents? I have some old Archive tapes that I wish to change the label
    > so that they aren't DL0001, DL0002 ect... I would like them to be Archive
    > 1, Archive 2, Archive 3... ect...

    Media tab. Find the tape, display its properties, and change the
    cartridge label.

    This won't change the text listed in the Restore Selections tab, so
    you may want to put the original label in the Alternate Label box in
    case you ever need to know what the tape was originally called.

    --
    Mark Hill
    #include

+ Reply to Thread