Backing up Linux - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Backing up Linux - Veritas Backup Exec ; I haven't been able to mount a drive on Linux machine to back it up, Has anyone managed to do this? I am using exec NT/2000 I didn't see a linux agent is there one?...

  1. Backing up Linux

    I haven't been able to mount a drive on Linux machine to back it up, Has
    anyone managed to do this? I am using exec NT/2000 I didn't see a linux
    agent is there one?

  2. Re: Backing up Linux

    You just use the unix agent.
    I don't know how to set it up, one of the Linux gurus did it.

    Jim

    "Mike Chevrie" wrote in message

    > I haven't been able to mount a drive on Linux machine to back it up, Has
    > anyone managed to do this? I am using exec NT/2000 I didn't see a linux
    > agent is there one?

  3. Re: Backing up Linux

    I don't know of any linux agents, but this alternative method may work.

    Try using SAMBA to make the Linux directories accessable to Windows. It
    should be relatively easy to configure using the included utility SWAT.
    Online documentation is available at http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/ . One
    note of caution however, you might want to set Samba to allow only certain
    IP addresses from the cfg file and run during certain hours using crontab.
    Another option is 'rsync' to an ftp directory on the NT server.

    Hope this is helpful.

    Jason S. Antonacci
    Neurology SYSADMIN, MCG

    Mike Chevrie wrote in message <397f1cfb$1@hronntp01.>...

    >I haven't been able to mount a drive on Linux machine to back it up, Has
    >anyone managed to do this? I am using exec NT/2000 I didn't see a linux
    >agent is there one?

  4. Re: Backing up Linux

    You use the Unix agent. A list of compatible Nixes are somewhere on the
    support site, on the CDROM, or in the tar file. I doubt it's in the tar file
    though - as their documentation on the Unix agent isn't too great.

    I personally haven't gotten it to work on my Linux boxes, but it works great
    on Solaris.

    > I haven't been able to mount a drive on Linux machine to back it up, Has
    > anyone managed to do this? I am using exec NT/2000 I didn't see a linux
    > agent is there one?

+ Reply to Thread