Unix Agent unable to advertise resource - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Unix Agent unable to advertise resource - Veritas Backup Exec ; I'm using Unix agent 5.01 When I'm trying to backup on of our Unix machines with an NT Server machine, it says Communication System Failure Unable to Advertise Resource. Check TCP/IP Status. I can ping both machines from each other. ...

  1. Unix Agent unable to advertise resource

    I'm using Unix agent 5.01
    When I'm trying to backup on of our Unix machines with an NT Server machine,
    it says

    Communication System Failure
    Unable to Advertise Resource. Check TCP/IP Status.

    I can ping both machines from each other. The workstation name matches in
    the config file and the server is in the hosts file.

    Derek

  2. Re: Unix Agent unable to advertise resource

    If there is a firewall between the Unix and NT machine, make sure you have
    port 6101 open.

    "Derek Heidmeier" wrote in message

    > I'm using Unix agent 5.01
    > When I'm trying to backup on of our Unix machines with an NT Server

    machine,
    > it says
    >
    > Communication System Failure
    > Unable to Advertise Resource. Check TCP/IP Status.
    >
    > I can ping both machines from each other. The workstation name matches in
    > the config file and the server is in the hosts file.

    > Derek

  3. Re: Unix Agent unable to advertise resource

    Thanks

    I'm pretty weak in regards to UNIX. How do I find out if port 6101 is open
    or not?

    "Kevin Searle" wrote:
    >If there is a firewall between the Unix and NT machine, make sure you have
    >port 6101 open.
    >
    >"Derek Heidmeier" wrote in message
    >>
    >> I'm using Unix agent 5.01
    >> When I'm trying to backup on of our Unix machines with an NT Server

    >machine,
    >> it says
    >>
    >> Communication System Failure
    >> Unable to Advertise Resource. Check TCP/IP Status.
    >>
    >> I can ping both machines from each other. The workstation name matches

    in
    >> the config file and the server is in the hosts file.
    >>
    >> Any help would be very much appreciated.
    >>
    >> Derek

  4. Re: Unix Agent unable to advertise resource

    It would only be closed if there is a firewall between the hosts. If there
    isn't then this probably isn't the problem. What Unix are you backing up and
    is it supported by BE?

    "Derek" wrote in message

    > Thanks
    >
    > I'm pretty weak in regards to UNIX. How do I find out if port 6101 is

    open
    > or not?
    >
    > "Kevin Searle" wrote:
    > >If there is a firewall between the Unix and NT machine, make sure you

    have
    > >port 6101 open.
    > >
    > >"Derek Heidmeier" wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> I'm using Unix agent 5.01
    > >> When I'm trying to backup on of our Unix machines with an NT Server

    > >machine,
    > >> it says
    > >>
    > >> Communication System Failure
    > >> Unable to Advertise Resource. Check TCP/IP Status.
    > >>
    > >> I can ping both machines from each other. The workstation name matches

    > in
    > >> the config file and the server is in the hosts file.
    > >>
    > >> Any help would be very much appreciated.
    > >>
    > >> Derek

+ Reply to Thread