BE 8.0, Benchmark DLT1 - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on BE 8.0, Benchmark DLT1 - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi All, We recently purchased a Benchmark DLT1, using BE 8.0 with NT 4. We are using build 3311 of BE 8.0, and I recently checked the Veritas site saying that the 3315 build was the first one to support ...

  1. BE 8.0, Benchmark DLT1

    Hi All,

    We recently purchased a Benchmark DLT1, using BE 8.0 with NT 4. We are
    using build 3311 of BE 8.0, and I recently checked the Veritas site saying
    that the 3315 build was the first one to support Benchmark drives. It seems
    to install fine with the Quantum DLT7000(?) drivers, but it spits out the
    DLT tape with the "insert overwriteable media" dialog box.

    Is anyone else using a Benchmark? Do I need to get the newer build of BE
    8.0?

    Thanks

    -Warren

  2. Re: BE 8.0, Benchmark DLT1

    It's a free upgrade, and if that's the first build certified to support
    your drives why not go for it.

    Or you could just download the new driver file BNT80IDRV_230139.EXE at
    http://seer.support.veritas.com/tnotes/BEWNT/230139.htm
    and run that on your current build.

    Warren Cundy wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > We recently purchased a Benchmark DLT1, using BE 8.0 with NT 4. We are
    > using build 3311 of BE 8.0, and I recently checked the Veritas site saying
    > that the 3315 build was the first one to support Benchmark drives. It seems
    > to install fine with the Quantum DLT7000(?) drivers, but it spits out the
    > DLT tape with the "insert overwriteable media" dialog box.
    >
    > Is anyone else using a Benchmark? Do I need to get the newer build of BE
    > 8.0?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > -Warren

  3. Re: BE 8.0, Benchmark DLT1

    I downloaded BE8.0 build 3315, and when I try to run it I get the message
    that it is for "another machine type". What does that mean?

    I tried using the new driver files but the Benchmark DLT1 is still spitting
    the tapes out, and BE is asking me to "insert media".

    Thanks

    -Warren

    Ken Putnam wrote in message
    > It's a free upgrade, and if that's the first build certified to support
    > your drives why not go for it.
    >
    > Or you could just download the new driver file BNT80IDRV_230139.EXE at
    > http://seer.support.veritas.com/tnotes/BEWNT/230139.htm
    > and run that on your current build.
    >
    > Warren Cundy wrote:
    > >
    > > Hi All,
    > >
    > > We recently purchased a Benchmark DLT1, using BE 8.0 with NT 4. We are
    > > using build 3311 of BE 8.0, and I recently checked the Veritas site

    saying
    > > that the 3315 build was the first one to support Benchmark drives. It

    seems
    > > to install fine with the Quantum DLT7000(?) drivers, but it spits out

    the
    > > DLT tape with the "insert overwriteable media" dialog box.
    > >
    > > Is anyone else using a Benchmark? Do I need to get the newer build of

    BE
    > > 8.0?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > -Warren

  4. Re: BE 8.0, Benchmark DLT1

    "another machine type" as in Alpha vs Intel? or as in Advanced Server
    vs Server?

    Do you recall the exact error message?

    With the new driver, what happens if you label the tapes before letting
    BENT try to grab them?

    If you inventory the tapes before the jobs start (devices, right
    click/inventory), do they appear in blue (scratch) or black (protected)
    in the right pane?

    Warren Cundy wrote:

    > I downloaded BE8.0 build 3315, and when I try to run it I get the message
    > that it is for "another machine type". What does that mean?
    >
    > I tried using the new driver files but the Benchmark DLT1 is still spitting
    > the tapes out, and BE is asking me to "insert media".
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > -Warren
    >
    > Ken Putnam wrote in message
    > > It's a free upgrade, and if that's the first build certified to support
    > > your drives why not go for it.
    > >
    > > Or you could just download the new driver file BNT80IDRV_230139.EXE at
    > > http://seer.support.veritas.com/tnotes/BEWNT/230139.htm
    > > and run that on your current build.
    > >
    > > Warren Cundy wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Hi All,
    > > >
    > > > We recently purchased a Benchmark DLT1, using BE 8.0 with NT 4. We are
    > > > using build 3311 of BE 8.0, and I recently checked the Veritas site

    > saying
    > > > that the 3315 build was the first one to support Benchmark drives. It

    > seems
    > > > to install fine with the Quantum DLT7000(?) drivers, but it spits out

    > the
    > > > DLT tape with the "insert overwriteable media" dialog box.
    > > >
    > > > Is anyone else using a Benchmark? Do I need to get the newer build of

    > BE
    > > > 8.0?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks
    > > >
    > > > -Warren

  5. Re: BE 8.0, Benchmark DLT1

    Stupid me downloaded the alpha version without paying too much attention.

    But as for the tape inventory, the media is black (currently ),
    but when I right click and hit inventory, nothing happens.

    -Warren

    Ken Putnam wrote in message
    > "another machine type" as in Alpha vs Intel? or as in Advanced Server
    > vs Server?
    >
    > Do you recall the exact error message?
    >
    > With the new driver, what happens if you label the tapes before letting
    > BENT try to grab them?
    >
    > If you inventory the tapes before the jobs start (devices, right
    > click/inventory), do they appear in blue (scratch) or black (protected)
    > in the right pane?
    >
    > Warren Cundy wrote:
    > >
    > > I downloaded BE8.0 build 3315, and when I try to run it I get the

    message
    > > that it is for "another machine type". What does that mean?
    > >
    > > I tried using the new driver files but the Benchmark DLT1 is still

    spitting
    > > the tapes out, and BE is asking me to "insert media".
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > -Warren
    > >
    > > Ken Putnam wrote in message
    > > > It's a free upgrade, and if that's the first build certified to

    support
    > > > your drives why not go for it.
    > > >
    > > > Or you could just download the new driver file BNT80IDRV_230139.EXE at
    > > > http://seer.support.veritas.com/tnotes/BEWNT/230139.htm
    > > > and run that on your current build.

    are

    > > saying

    It
    > > seems

    out
    > > the

    of
    > > BE

  6. Re: BE 8.0, Benchmark DLT1

    Try labeling the tape before the next execution of the job. After that the tape
    label should be in blue and BENT should accept it.

    Warren Cundy wrote:

    > Stupid me downloaded the alpha version without paying too much attention.
    >
    > But as for the tape inventory, the media is black (currently ),
    > but when I right click and hit inventory, nothing happens.
    >
    > -Warren
    >
    > Ken Putnam wrote in message
    > > "another machine type" as in Alpha vs Intel? or as in Advanced Server
    > > vs Server?
    > >
    > > Do you recall the exact error message?
    > >
    > > With the new driver, what happens if you label the tapes before letting
    > > BENT try to grab them?
    > >
    > > If you inventory the tapes before the jobs start (devices, right
    > > click/inventory), do they appear in blue (scratch) or black (protected)
    > > in the right pane?
    > >
    > > Warren Cundy wrote:
    > > >
    > > > I downloaded BE8.0 build 3315, and when I try to run it I get the

    > message
    > > > that it is for "another machine type". What does that mean?
    > > >
    > > > I tried using the new driver files but the Benchmark DLT1 is still

    > spitting
    > > > the tapes out, and BE is asking me to "insert media".
    > > >
    > > > Thanks
    > > >
    > > > -Warren
    > > >
    > > > Ken Putnam wrote in message

    > support

    > are
    > > > saying

    > It
    > > > seems

    > out
    > > > the

    > of
    > > > BE

  7. Re: BE 8.0, Benchmark DLT1

    I have now installed build 3315, it has detected the Benchmark DLT1, but
    when I try to label the DLT tape, it fails and spits it out again.

    The only thing on the tape I can see is a write-protect setting, and it is
    turned off.

    -Warren

    Ken Putnam wrote in message
    > Try labeling the tape before the next execution of the job. After that

    the tape
    > label should be in blue and BENT should accept it.
    >
    > Warren Cundy wrote:
    >
    > > Stupid me downloaded the alpha version without paying too much

    attention.

    > > But as for the tape inventory, the media is black (currently

    Media>),
    > > but when I right click and hit inventory, nothing happens.
    > >
    > > -Warren
    > >
    > > Ken Putnam wrote in message
    > > > "another machine type" as in Alpha vs Intel? or as in Advanced Server
    > > > vs Server?
    > > >
    > > > Do you recall the exact error message?
    > > >
    > > > With the new driver, what happens if you label the tapes before

    letting
    > > > BENT try to grab them?
    > > >
    > > > If you inventory the tapes before the jobs start (devices, right
    > > > click/inventory), do they appear in blue (scratch) or black

    (protected)
    > > > in the right pane?

    > > message

    > > spitting

    > > support

    BNT80IDRV_230139.EXE at

    We
    > > are

    site

    drives.
    > > It

    spits
    > > out

    build
    > > of

  8. Re: BE 8.0, Benchmark DLT1

    I had the same problem but found that it works with brand new tapes... later
    Someone told me that the magnetics i the DLT1 is less powerfull than the
    one in older DLT-driversers so it can't overwrite due to lack of power!!!
    I took a bunch of my older tapes to my local hi-fi dealer and he helped me
    erase the thoroughly (sp?) and now thay work!

    //Johan, Sweden