Failed Restore - Error "Lost Connection" - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Failed Restore - Error "Lost Connection" - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hello, I am in the processing of testing a new tape backup unit, to ensure that it properly backs up and restores SQL databases, before we put it into production (naturally). I have run a number of test backups with ...

  1. Failed Restore - Error "Lost Connection"

    Hello,

    I am in the processing of testing a new tape backup unit, to ensure that

    it properly backs up and restores SQL databases, before we put it into
    production (naturally). I have run a number of test backups with
    different scenarios and settings, all of which have passed successfully
    without a problem, until now. I was restoring a test backup of a
    Database, and I get the following Error:

    Job Operation - Restore
    Restoring data to SQLServer?Test_Restore_Database_SONY0.

    Storage Media #1: " Backup of Prod_Database on SQLServer"
    Backup performed on 6/16/00 at 3:41 PM
    Backup set #1: " Test Backup"
    Restore started on 6/26/00 at 3:28:32 PM.
    Connection to the restore target has been lost. Operation aborted.

    Restore completed on 6/26/00 at 4:19:48 PM.
    1 item was skipped.

    I am using Veritas Backup Exec software to perform remote backups. I
    have used this software before and have run numerous backups and
    restores, including using this new tape backup unit without a problem.
    What I am not sure of though is the error. It would appear that it is
    losing the connection to the Server, which to me would indicate that
    there is nothing wrong with the backup itself (ie: the media).

    When I start the restore, it first creates the database before restoring

    the actual database (data pages). I am asssuming that this is standard
    procedure, regardless of whether using a 3rd party backup program or
    not. Around 3 minutes into the restore is when I get the error
    message. This is during the creation of the Database File (MDF).
    However if I look at the current activity in EM, I still see the
    connection to the backup agent.

    Anyone know what could / would cause the connection to be lost?? Could
    it be a server that is too busy?? I have tried a number of times to
    restore this database, but I get the same message, and it stops / aborts

    at exactly the same time. The odd part, is that it hasn't even gotten
    to the point of dumping back the data. It would appear to be an
    SQLServer issue rather than a tape backup / software issue, but I am not

    sure.

    Anyone got any good ideas??

    Thanks,

    Hugh

  2. Re: Failed Restore - Error "Lost Connection"

    Might not apply to you, but see TechNote ID: 191880

    Hugh Cowan wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I am in the processing of testing a new tape backup unit, to ensure that
    >
    > it properly backs up and restores SQL databases, before we put it into
    > production (naturally). I have run a number of test backups with
    > different scenarios and settings, all of which have passed successfully
    > without a problem, until now. I was restoring a test backup of a
    > Database, and I get the following Error:
    >
    > ================================================== ====================
    > Job Operation - Restore
    > ================================================== ====================
    > Restoring data to SQLServer?Test_Restore_Database_SONY0.
    >
    > Storage Media #1: " Backup of Prod_Database on SQLServer"
    > Backup performed on 6/16/00 at 3:41 PM
    > Backup set #1: " Test Backup"
    > Restore started on 6/26/00 at 3:28:32 PM.
    > Connection to the restore target has been lost. Operation aborted.
    >
    > Restore completed on 6/26/00 at 4:19:48 PM.
    > 1 item was skipped.
    > ================================================== ====================
    >
    > I am using Veritas Backup Exec software to perform remote backups. I
    > have used this software before and have run numerous backups and
    > restores, including using this new tape backup unit without a problem.
    > What I am not sure of though is the error. It would appear that it is
    > losing the connection to the Server, which to me would indicate that
    > there is nothing wrong with the backup itself (ie: the media).
    >
    > When I start the restore, it first creates the database before restoring
    >
    > the actual database (data pages). I am asssuming that this is standard
    > procedure, regardless of whether using a 3rd party backup program or
    > not. Around 3 minutes into the restore is when I get the error
    > message. This is during the creation of the Database File (MDF).
    > However if I look at the current activity in EM, I still see the
    > connection to the backup agent.
    >
    > Anyone know what could / would cause the connection to be lost?? Could
    > it be a server that is too busy?? I have tried a number of times to
    > restore this database, but I get the same message, and it stops / aborts
    >
    > at exactly the same time. The odd part, is that it hasn't even gotten
    > to the point of dumping back the data. It would appear to be an
    > SQLServer issue rather than a tape backup / software issue, but I am not
    >
    > sure.
    >
    > Anyone got any good ideas??
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Hugh