Media Sets - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Media Sets - Veritas Backup Exec ; Scenario Backup Exec V7.2 Compaq DLT Autoloader containing 2 x 35/70GB drives attached via SCSI to server. 2 Backup jobs created to run at night, 1 to backup local server L1, 1 to backup remote server R1. All backup tapes ...

  1. Media Sets

    Scenario
    Backup Exec V7.2
    Compaq DLT Autoloader containing 2 x 35/70GB drives attached via
    SCSI to server. 2 Backup jobs created to run at night, 1 to
    backup local server L1, 1 to backup remote server R1. All backup
    tapes in cycle assigned to 2 different media sets MSL1 & MSR1
    (1 for each server). Media overwrite set to None.
    Load Autoloader with tapes from Media Set MSR1 only. If you
    then start backup job L1 when it finds no tapes loaded from
    Media Set MSL1 it just pinches a tape from the MSR1 Media Set
    and uses that instead! Despite the fact I have specified each
    job to use tapes from their respective Media Sets.
    i.e Job L1 to use tapes from Media Set MSL1 and Job R1 to use
    tapes from Media Set MSR1.

    How can I stop this from happening, ensuring each job doesn't
    overwrite each others tape, and that server L1 data gets
    backed up to MSL1 tapes and R1 data onto MSR1 tapes?

  2. Re: Media Sets

    All that the selection you made does is look first for tapes in the same
    media set, then in the general scratch pool.

    The only way to do what you want is to make sure that there are tapes
    from each media set in the magazine when the job runs.

    Or ...

    You could upgrade to V7.3 Build 2575, with post2575 patch and use
    PARTUTIL to partition the magazine such that L1 jobs will only look in
    eg slots 1,2 & 3 while R1 jobs will only look in slots 4,5 & 6.

    The upgrade is free for V7.2 and V7.3 users, and can be downloaded from
    http://support.veritas.com/ftp/files..._PRODID_10.htm
    (URL may be wrapped)

    or you can request a CD from the E-Mail support site at
    http://seer.support.veritas.com/emai...BEWNT&crumb=on
    (URL may be wrapped)

    Chris Judd wrote:

    > Scenario
    > Backup Exec V7.2
    > Compaq DLT Autoloader containing 2 x 35/70GB drives attached via
    > SCSI to server. 2 Backup jobs created to run at night, 1 to
    > backup local server L1, 1 to backup remote server R1. All backup
    > tapes in cycle assigned to 2 different media sets MSL1 & MSR1
    > (1 for each server). Media overwrite set to None.
    > Load Autoloader with tapes from Media Set MSR1 only. If you
    > then start backup job L1 when it finds no tapes loaded from
    > Media Set MSL1 it just pinches a tape from the MSR1 Media Set
    > and uses that instead! Despite the fact I have specified each
    > job to use tapes from their respective Media Sets.
    > i.e Job L1 to use tapes from Media Set MSL1 and Job R1 to use
    > tapes from Media Set MSR1.
    >
    > How can I stop this from happening, ensuring each job doesn't
    > overwrite each others tape, and that server L1 data gets
    > backed up to MSL1 tapes and R1 data onto MSR1 tapes?

+ Reply to Thread