All Media in Restore shows nothing - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on All Media in Restore shows nothing - Veritas Backup Exec ; When I look at the Restore option, the check block is greyed out, and nothing appears under the "All Media" area. Need to restore soon ......

  1. All Media in Restore shows nothing

    When I look at the Restore option, the check block is greyed out, and nothing
    appears under the "All Media" area. Need to restore soon ...

  2. Re: All Media in Restore shows nothing

    Ed Albert wrote:

    > When I look at the Restore option, the check block is greyed out, and nothing
    > appears under the "All Media" area. Need to restore soon ...

    Had similar problems under BENT 8.0 and found out what was causing the problem at
    least in my case (DAT drive). It
    involved the REMOTE REGISTRY SERVICE being turned off under SERVICES. I enabled
    it and then
    started BENT 8.0 and presto the RESTORE WINDOW showed the items that were backed
    up and able to be restored! Discovered the solution by installing the software on

    DO not know if that is your problem or not.

  3. Re: All Media in Restore shows nothing

    Don't have the REMOTE REGISTRY SERVICE listed in my services. Also, and
    probably related, the Backup Sets report does not work. Instead, I get
    back an error message of "Cannot open SQL Server".

    Jim Smith wrote:

    > Ed Albert wrote:
    >
    > > When I look at the Restore option, the check block is greyed out, and nothing
    > > appears under the "All Media" area. Need to restore soon ...

    > Had similar problems under BENT 8.0 and found out what was causing the problem at
    > least in my case (DAT drive). It
    > involved the REMOTE REGISTRY SERVICE being turned off under SERVICES. I enabled
    > it and then
    > started BENT 8.0 and presto the RESTORE WINDOW showed the items that were backed
    > up and able to be restored! Discovered the solution by installing the software on
    >
    > DO not know if that is your problem or not.

  4. Re: All Media in Restore shows nothing

    Supplemental Information:
    Platform is: Gateway/ALR 7210 with 512mm memory
    O/S Version: NT 4.0 - SP-6a
    Tape Drive : Archive Python 6240 using 4mm 20/40gb tapes

  5. Re: All Media in Restore shows nothing

    Ed Albert wrote:

    > Don't have the REMOTE REGISTRY SERVICE listed in my services. Also, and
    > probably related, the Backup Sets report does not work. Instead, I get
    > back an error message of "Cannot open SQL Server".

    Exactly what I was also seeing. Are you saying that REMOTE REGISTRY SERVICE does not
    even show up as a SERVICE with its status being set to manual?

    > Jim Smith wrote:
    > >
    > > Ed Albert wrote:
    > >
    > > > When I look at the Restore option, the check block is greyed out, and nothing
    > > > appears under the "All Media" area. Need to restore soon ...

    > > Had similar problems under BENT 8.0 and found out what was causing the problem at
    > > least in my case (DAT drive). It
    > > involved the REMOTE REGISTRY SERVICE being turned off under SERVICES. I enabled
    > > it and then
    > > started BENT 8.0 and presto the RESTORE WINDOW showed the items that were backed
    > > up and able to be restored! Discovered the solution by installing the software on
    > >
    > > DO not know if that is your problem or not.

  6. Re: All Media in Restore shows nothing

    I am having the exact same problem. BE 8.0 on W2000 Workstation local machine.
    No catalogs in the restore tab.

    I've got good tapes from a couple days ago, but can't read it, even after
    running catalog. I do not have any remote registry services listed in the
    service manager.

    I've tried applying the build 3315 update. No change. I have also removed
    the software from the system and reinstalled with no change. I can still
    see the media sets and read the log files but have no listings under the
    restore tab. Frustrated...

    Jim Smith wrote:

    >Ed Albert wrote:
    >
    >> Don't have the REMOTE REGISTRY SERVICE listed in my services. Also, and
    >> probably related, the Backup Sets report does not work. Instead, I get
    >> back an error message of "Cannot open SQL Server".

    >Exactly what I was also seeing. Are you saying that REMOTE REGISTRY SERVICE

    does not
    >even show up as a SERVICE with its status being set to manual?
    >

    >> Jim Smith wrote:

    and nothing

    >> > Had similar problems under BENT 8.0 and found out what was causing the

    problem at
    >> > least in my case (DAT drive). It
    >> > involved the REMOTE REGISTRY SERVICE being turned off under SERVICES.

    I enabled
    >> > it and then
    >> > started BENT 8.0 and presto the RESTORE WINDOW showed the items that

    were backed
    >> > up and able to be restored! Discovered the solution by installing the

    software on

    >> > DO not know if that is your problem or not.

  7. Re: All Media in Restore shows nothing

    That's right. I do NOT have the Remote Registry Service in the list of
    services on my NT.

    Also, does Veritas ever answer anyone? I posted messages to e-mail
    support (twice) about this and beginning to think no one there ever
    actually responds.

    Jim Smith wrote:

    > Ed Albert wrote:
    >
    > > Don't have the REMOTE REGISTRY SERVICE listed in my services. Also, and
    > > probably related, the Backup Sets report does not work. Instead, I get
    > > back an error message of "Cannot open SQL Server".

    > Exactly what I was also seeing. Are you saying that REMOTE REGISTRY SERVICE does not
    > even show up as a SERVICE with its status being set to manual?
    >

    > > Jim Smith wrote:

    > > > Had similar problems under BENT 8.0 and found out what was causing the problem at
    > > > least in my case (DAT drive). It
    > > > involved the REMOTE REGISTRY SERVICE being turned off under SERVICES. I enabled
    > > > it and then
    > > > started BENT 8.0 and presto the RESTORE WINDOW showed the items that were backed
    > > > up and able to be restored! Discovered the solution by installing the software on
    > > >
    > > > DO not know if that is your problem or not.

  8. Re: All Media in Restore shows nothing

    Jeff Walton wrote:

    > I am having the exact same problem. BE 8.0 on W2000 Workstation local machine.
    > No catalogs in the restore tab.
    >
    > I've got good tapes from a couple days ago, but can't read it, even after
    > running catalog. I do not have any remote registry services listed in the
    > service manager.

    I looked under Services on the Windows 2000 Pro and it indicates that the following
    is the EXE file associated with this service: C:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe. Do you
    have such a file?

    > I've tried applying the build 3315 update. No change. I have also removed
    > the software from the system and reinstalled with no change. I can still
    > see the media sets and read the log files but have no listings under the
    > restore tab. Frustrated...

    There is a reference to this problem on the Veritas web site

    Also Veritas email support had asked me to:

    "try stopping the Backup Exec services and renaming a file called
    "BETOPCAT.IDX". Start Backup Exec and services. Inventory and catalog
    media. Look for restore selections. "

    This did not help my problem the problem until I started remote registry services.

    > Jim Smith wrote:
    > >

    > >Ed Albert wrote:
    > >
    > >> Don't have the REMOTE REGISTRY SERVICE listed in my services. Also, and
    > >> probably related, the Backup Sets report does not work. Instead, I get
    > >> back an error message of "Cannot open SQL Server".

    > >Exactly what I was also seeing. Are you saying that REMOTE REGISTRY SERVICE

    > does not
    > >even show up as a SERVICE with its status being set to manual?

    > and nothing

    > problem at

    > I enabled

    > were backed

    > software on

  9. Re: All Media in Restore shows nothing

    Not running 2000 ... NT 4.0

    Jim Smith wrote:

    > Jeff Walton wrote:
    >
    > > I am having the exact same problem. BE 8.0 on W2000 Workstation local machine.
    > > No catalogs in the restore tab.
    > >
    > > I've got good tapes from a couple days ago, but can't read it, even after
    > > running catalog. I do not have any remote registry services listed in the
    > > service manager.

    > I looked under Services on the Windows 2000 Pro and it indicates that the following
    > is the EXE file associated with this service: C:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe. Do you
    > have such a file?
    >

    > > I've tried applying the build 3315 update. No change. I have also removed
    > > the software from the system and reinstalled with no change. I can still
    > > see the media sets and read the log files but have no listings under the
    > > restore tab. Frustrated...
    > >

    > There is a reference to this problem on the Veritas web site
    >
    > Also Veritas email support had asked me to:
    >
    > "try stopping the Backup Exec services and renaming a file called
    > "BETOPCAT.IDX". Start Backup Exec and services. Inventory and catalog
    > media. Look for restore selections. "
    >
    > This did not help my problem the problem until I started remote registry services.
    >

    > > Jim Smith wrote:

    > > >Exactly what I was also seeing. Are you saying that REMOTE REGISTRY SERVICE

    > > does not
    > > >even show up as a SERVICE with its status being set to manual?

    > > and nothing

    > > problem at

    > > I enabled

    > > were backed

    > > software on

  10. Re: All Media in Restore shows nothing

    Ed Albert wrote:

    > Not running 2000 ... NT 4.0

    OK that explains it. Sorry can not be of any further help.

    > Jim Smith wrote:
    > >
    > > Jeff Walton wrote:
    > >
    > > > I am having the exact same problem. BE 8.0 on W2000 Workstation local machine.
    > > > No catalogs in the restore tab.
    > > >
    > > > I've got good tapes from a couple days ago, but can't read it, even after
    > > > running catalog. I do not have any remote registry services listed in the
    > > > service manager.

    > > I looked under Services on the Windows 2000 Pro and it indicates that the following
    > > is the EXE file associated with this service: C:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe. Do you
    > > have such a file?

  11. Re: All Media in Restore shows nothing

    Did get a response from Veritas - they said that I need to shut down the
    Backup Exec, and the Backup Exec (TM) 7.x Job Engine service. Then
    delete all of the temporary catalog files (*.sm, *.fdd, and qtc*.*)and
    rename the BeTopCat.idx to BeTopCat.old. Problem is apparently
    corrupted index. I'm going to give that a shot and hope for the best.

    Jim Smith wrote:

    > Ed Albert wrote:
    >
    > > Not running 2000 ... NT 4.0

    > OK that explains it. Sorry can not be of any further help.
    >

    > > Jim Smith wrote:

    > > > I looked under Services on the Windows 2000 Pro and it indicates that the following
    > > > is the EXE file associated with this service: C:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe. Do you
    > > > have such a file?

  12. Re: All Media in Restore shows nothing

    Renaming the BETOPCAT.IDX in the catalog folder after stopping all BE services
    seems to have resolved the problem for me. The choices into the restore
    area have reappeared and the BETOPCAT.IDX rebuilt itself. The information
    showing in the cartridge description fields of the restore page seems to
    have changed (in some cases) to the Seagate assigned names instead of the
    renamed values that I had given them. Does not cause me a serious problem
    because I do not have too many tapes and can still recognize them, but could
    be a real pain to users with a lot of tapes to keep track of.

    Jim Smith wrote:

    >Jeff Walton wrote:
    >
    >> I am having the exact same problem. BE 8.0 on W2000 Workstation local

    machine.
    >> No catalogs in the restore tab.
    >>
    >> I've got good tapes from a couple days ago, but can't read it, even after
    >> running catalog. I do not have any remote registry services listed in

    the
    >> service manager.

    >I looked under Services on the Windows 2000 Pro and it indicates that the

    following
    >is the EXE file associated with this service: C:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe.

    Do you
    >have such a file?
    >

    >> I've tried applying the build 3315 update. No change. I have also removed
    >> the software from the system and reinstalled with no change. I can still
    >> see the media sets and read the log files but have no listings under the
    >> restore tab. Frustrated...
    >>

    > There is a reference to this problem on the Veritas web site
    >
    >Also Veritas email support had asked me to:
    >
    >"try stopping the Backup Exec services and renaming a file called
    >"BETOPCAT.IDX". Start Backup Exec and services. Inventory and catalog
    >media. Look for restore selections. "
    >
    >This did not help my problem the problem until I started remote registry

    services.

    >> Jim Smith wrote:

    and

    get

    >> >Exactly what I was also seeing. Are you saying that REMOTE REGISTRY SERVICE

    >> does not
    >> >even show up as a SERVICE with its status being set to manual?

    >> and nothing

    the
    >> problem at

    >> I enabled

    >> were backed

    the
    >> software on

  13. Re: All Media in Restore shows nothing

    Jeff Walton wrote:

    Glad to hear. I had tried that method but it did not help in my case. At least
    now you can perform a restore if necessary. FInd of a crucial item wrt to backup
    software .

+ Reply to Thread