SQL Agent problem for MS SQL 7.0 - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on SQL Agent problem for MS SQL 7.0 - Veritas Backup Exec ; Software : Backup Exec. for Windows NT/2000 Version 8 with Agent for MS SQL Server. I installed the above software to NT4 in which MSSQL Server 7.0 is running on. There is a problem to backup the SQL 7.0 database ...

  1. SQL Agent problem for MS SQL 7.0

    Software : Backup Exec. for Windows NT/2000 Version 8 with Agent for MS SQL
    Server.
    I installed the above software to NT4 in which MSSQL Server 7.0 is running
    on. There is a problem to backup the SQL 7.0 database and the error is as
    below:

    An error occurred on a query to filegroup master..PRIMARY.
    SQL Server returned the following error message:
    You can only perform a full backup of the master database. Use BACKUP DATABASE
    to back up the enire master database.
    Unable to open the item master PRIMARY - skipped.
    An error occurred on a query to filegroup msdb..PRIMARY.
    SQL Server returned the following error message:
    BACKUP LOG is not allowed while the trunc. log on chkpt. option is enabled.
    Use BACKUP DATA@ASE or disable the option using sp_dboption.

  2. Re: SQL Agent problem for MS SQL 7.0

    Francis, have you tried the suggestions that backup exec appends to the
    errors?

    Francis Chau wrote in message

    > Software : Backup Exec. for Windows NT/2000 Version 8 with Agent for MS

    SQL
    > Server.
    > I installed the above software to NT4 in which MSSQL Server 7.0 is running
    > on. There is a problem to backup the SQL 7.0 database and the error is as
    > below:
    >
    > An error occurred on a query to filegroup master..PRIMARY.
    > SQL Server returned the following error message:
    > You can only perform a full backup of the master database. Use BACKUP

    DATABASE
    > to back up the enire master database.
    > Unable to open the item master PRIMARY - skipped.
    > An error occurred on a query to filegroup msdb..PRIMARY.
    > SQL Server returned the following error message:
    > BACKUP LOG is not allowed while the trunc. log on chkpt. option is

    enabled.
    > Use BACKUP DATA@ASE or disable the option using sp_dboption.

  3. Re: SQL Agent problem for MS SQL 7.0

    I've tried turning the trunc. log on chkpt. option off but still get the message
    about not backing up the master database, even when using the backup entire
    database option in BENT 8.
    PS Have you ever successfully restored one of these databases?

    "mankay" wrote:
    >Francis, have you tried the suggestions that backup exec appends to the
    >errors?
    >

    >Francis Chau wrote in message
    >>
    >> Software : Backup Exec. for Windows NT/2000 Version 8 with Agent for MS

    >SQL
    >> Server.
    >> I installed the above software to NT4 in which MSSQL Server 7.0 is running
    >> on. There is a problem to backup the SQL 7.0 database and the error is

    as
    >> below:
    >>
    >> An error occurred on a query to filegroup master..PRIMARY.
    >> SQL Server returned the following error message:
    >> You can only perform a full backup of the master database. Use BACKUP

    >DATABASE
    >> to back up the enire master database.
    >> Unable to open the item master PRIMARY - skipped.
    >> An error occurred on a query to filegroup msdb..PRIMARY.
    >> SQL Server returned the following error message:
    >> BACKUP LOG is not allowed while the trunc. log on chkpt. option is

    >enabled.
    >> Use BACKUP DATA@ASE or disable the option using sp_dboption.

  4. Re: SQL Agent problem for MS SQL 7.0

    Have I restored an SQL database before using backup exec? Many, many times!
    You are getting this error because you are selecting the filegroups. Remove
    them from the backup selections and make sure that the databases themselves
    are selected and you will see that the backup works without errors.

    "Rob L" wrote:

    >I've tried turning the trunc. log on chkpt. option off but >still get the

    message about not backing up the master database, >even when using the backup
    entire database option in BENT 8.
    >PS Have you ever successfully restored one of these databases?
    >
    >"mankay" wrote:
    >>Francis, have you tried the suggestions that backup exec appends to the
    >>errors?
    >>

    >>Francis Chau wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Software : Backup Exec. for Windows NT/2000 Version 8 with Agent for

    MS
    >>SQL
    >>> Server.
    >>> I installed the above software to NT4 in which MSSQL Server 7.0 is running
    >>> on. There is a problem to backup the SQL 7.0 database and the error is

    >as
    >>> below:
    >>>
    >>> An error occurred on a query to filegroup master..PRIMARY.
    >>> SQL Server returned the following error message:
    >>> You can only perform a full backup of the master database. Use BACKUP

    >>DATABASE
    >>> to back up the enire master database.
    >>> Unable to open the item master PRIMARY - skipped.
    >>> An error occurred on a query to filegroup msdb..PRIMARY.
    >>> SQL Server returned the following error message:
    >>> BACKUP LOG is not allowed while the trunc. log on chkpt. option is

    >>enabled.
    >>> Use BACKUP DATA@ASE or disable the option using sp_dboption.

  5. Re: SQL Agent problem for MS SQL 7.0

    Paul is right . Two things you might find useful:

    1. In your database full backup selection, leave out MASTER FILEGROUP Cause
    that'll cause the failure.

    2. Separate msdb as a single job. Otherwise, it may reset itself back to
    default "truncate log on chk point" and that will also make the job fail.

    "Paul Reten" wrote in message

    > Have I restored an SQL database before using backup exec? Many, many

    times!
    > You are getting this error because you are selecting the filegroups.

    Remove
    > them from the backup selections and make sure that the databases

    themselves
    > are selected and you will see that the backup works without errors.
    >
    > "Rob L" wrote:
    > >
    > >I've tried turning the trunc. log on chkpt. option off but >still get the

    > message about not backing up the master database, >even when using the

    backup
    > entire database option in BENT 8.
    > >PS Have you ever successfully restored one of these databases?
    > >
    > >"mankay" wrote:
    > >>Francis, have you tried the suggestions that backup exec appends to the
    > >>errors?
    > >>

    > >>Francis Chau wrote in message

    > MS
    > >>SQL

    running

    > >as

    > >>DATABASE
    > >>enabled.

  6. Re: SQL Agent problem for MS SQL 7.0

    Rich/Paul,
    I have had problems with backing up the MASTER DATABASE as well...we're testing
    out "unchecking the truncate log at checkpoint option" and the only error
    we get is the

    "An error occurred on a query to filegroup master...PRIMARY...."

    If we deselect backing up the (master) PRIMARY database and need to do a
    restore of all of the other databases, will this prevent us from doing a
    full recovery or is it safe to leave this out?

    BTW, we're backing up SMS 2.0 databases, and other SQL databases on other
    servers and want to take advantage of BENT's SQL agents.

    Otherwise, why did we get the SQL agents if we can't successfully back up
    all of our SQL databases? Are we forced to dump the databases to disk and
    back up SQL flat files for security? Maybe that should be done in conjunction
    with the BENT SQL agents.

    Your expertise and suggestions are appreciated.

    Eric Pero
    The Hartford
    Eric.Pero@thehartford.com

    "Richard Ding" wrote:
    >Paul is right . Two things you might find useful:
    >
    >1. In your database full backup selection, leave out MASTER FILEGROUP Cause
    >that'll cause the failure.
    >
    >2. Separate msdb as a single job. Otherwise, it may reset itself back to
    >default "truncate log on chk point" and that will also make the job fail.
    >

    >"Paul Reten" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Have I restored an SQL database before using backup exec? Many, many

    >times!
    >> You are getting this error because you are selecting the filegroups.

    >Remove
    >> them from the backup selections and make sure that the databases

    >themselves
    >> are selected and you will see that the backup works without errors.
    >>
    >> "Rob L" wrote:
    >> >
    >> >I've tried turning the trunc. log on chkpt. option off but >still get

    the
    >> message about not backing up the master database, >even when using the

    >backup
    >> entire database option in BENT 8.
    >> >PS Have you ever successfully restored one of these databases?

    the

    >> MS

    >running

    is
    >> >as

  7. Re: SQL Agent problem for MS SQL 7.0

    Do not uncheck 'truncate log on checkpoint' for the master database. To
    backup, do not select the filegroup, but select the MS SQL Server on the
    left pane and scroll the right pane until you see 'master' database. Based
    on what you have said, I must highly recommend that you not do any filegroup
    backups.

    Alex

    "Eric Pero" wrote in message

    > Rich/Paul,
    > I have had problems with backing up the MASTER DATABASE as well...we're

    testing
    > out "unchecking the truncate log at checkpoint option" and the only error
    > we get is the
    >
    > "An error occurred on a query to filegroup master...PRIMARY...."
    >
    > If we deselect backing up the (master) PRIMARY database and need to do a
    > restore of all of the other databases, will this prevent us from doing a
    > full recovery or is it safe to leave this out?
    >
    > BTW, we're backing up SMS 2.0 databases, and other SQL databases on other
    > servers and want to take advantage of BENT's SQL agents.
    >
    > Otherwise, why did we get the SQL agents if we can't successfully back up
    > all of our SQL databases? Are we forced to dump the databases to disk and
    > back up SQL flat files for security? Maybe that should be done in

    conjunction
    > with the BENT SQL agents.
    >
    > Your expertise and suggestions are appreciated.
    >
    > Eric Pero
    > The Hartford
    > Eric.Pero@thehartford.com
    >

    > "Richard Ding" wrote:
    > >Paul is right . Two things you might find useful:
    > >
    > >1. In your database full backup selection, leave out MASTER FILEGROUP

    Cause
    > >that'll cause the failure.
    > >
    > >2. Separate msdb as a single job. Otherwise, it may reset itself back to
    > >default "truncate log on chk point" and that will also make the job fail.
    > >

    > >"Paul Reten" wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> Have I restored an SQL database before using backup exec? Many, many

    > >times!
    > >> You are getting this error because you are selecting the filegroups.

    > >Remove
    > >> them from the backup selections and make sure that the databases

    > >themselves
    > >> are selected and you will see that the backup works without errors.

    > the
    > >> message about not backing up the master database, >even when using the

    > >backup
    > >> entire database option in BENT 8.

    > the

    for
    > >> MS

    > >running

    > is

    BACKUP

  8. Re: SQL Agent problem for MS SQL 7.0

    Alex,
    I made sure that the "truncate log on checkpoint option" was NOT checked
    off (we almost had a catastrophe today when I went to get into our SMS database
    and the SQL database for SMS was in a "SUSPECT" state...BTW, we were able
    to recover from the SUSPECT state - thank God!). I assume that this was
    because we removed all of the "truncate log on checkpoint option" checkboxes
    for all of the databases. This was actually a recommendation by Veritas
    so that we can backup the primary databases. We also do not have the filegroups
    checked off (only the "primary" databases in the right pane). We still get
    errors though backing up the databases. Are we forced to NOT use the SQL
    agents and try to backup all of our SQL databases to a flat file and then
    back them up normally? SQL 6.5 doesn't have this problem...I thought there
    should be less bugs and not more when going from an older version of SQL
    to a newer version of SQL. Any solutions that you may have is GREATLY appreciated!

    Eric Pero
    The Hartford
    Eric.Pero@thehartford.com

    "Alex Moore" wrote:
    >Do not uncheck 'truncate log on checkpoint' for the master database. To
    >backup, do not select the filegroup, but select the MS SQL Server on the
    >left pane and scroll the right pane until you see 'master' database. Based
    >on what you have said, I must highly recommend that you not do any filegroup
    >backups.
    >
    >Alex
    >
    >"Eric Pero" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Rich/Paul,
    >> I have had problems with backing up the MASTER DATABASE as well...we're

    >testing
    >> out "unchecking the truncate log at checkpoint option" and the only error
    >> we get is the
    >>
    >> "An error occurred on a query to filegroup master...PRIMARY...."
    >>
    >> If we deselect backing up the (master) PRIMARY database and need to do

    >> restore of all of the other databases, will this prevent us from doing

    >> full recovery or is it safe to leave this out?
    >>
    >> BTW, we're backing up SMS 2.0 databases, and other SQL databases on other
    >> servers and want to take advantage of BENT's SQL agents.
    >>
    >> Otherwise, why did we get the SQL agents if we can't successfully back

    up
    >> all of our SQL databases? Are we forced to dump the databases to disk

    and
    >> back up SQL flat files for security? Maybe that should be done in

    >conjunction
    >> with the BENT SQL agents.
    >>
    >> Your expertise and suggestions are appreciated.
    >>
    >> Eric Pero
    >> The Hartford
    >> Eric.Pero@thehartford.com
    >>

    >> "Richard Ding" wrote:
    >> >Paul is right . Two things you might find useful:
    >> >
    >> >1. In your database full backup selection, leave out MASTER FILEGROUP

    >Cause
    >> >that'll cause the failure.
    >> >
    >> >2. Separate msdb as a single job. Otherwise, it may reset itself back

    >> >default "truncate log on chk point" and that will also make the job fail.
    >> >

    >> >"Paul Reten" wrote in message

    >> >times!
    >> >Remove
    >> >themselves

    get
    >> the

    the
    >> >backup

    >> the

    >for

    is
    >> >running

    >> is

    >BACKUP

    is

  9. Re: SQL Agent problem for MS SQL 7.0

    Are you saying that when you backup the master database, you do not get the
    message that you posted earlier? If you are getting the message "An error
    occurred on a query to filegroup master...PRIMARY....", then you have
    selected the filegroup for master and not the database. If you are not
    getting this specific error message, what are you getting in the SQL Server
    Error Log and Event Viewer Application log on the SQL Server box?

    I always prefer to backup the system databases with a Database Maintenance
    Plan within SQL Server. Schedule it for the appropriate time period and
    write the databases to separate directories with a delete retention that is
    appropriate. For user databases, I use BENT with the agent and have
    restored successfully several times. Some of my databases are too large to
    use disk files when I have plenty of tape available. I must note that many
    shops do use only flat file backups and probably more use tape device(s) on
    SQL Server without BENT.

    Alex

    "Eric Pero" wrote in message

> [...]

    > >> we get is the
    > >>
    > >> "An error occurred on a query to filegroup master...PRIMARY...."
    > >>
    > >> If we deselect backing up the (master) PRIMARY database and need to do

    > >> restore of all of the other databases, will this prevent us from doing

    > >> full recovery or is it safe to leave this out?
    > >>
    > >> BTW, we're backing up SMS 2.0 databases, and other SQL databases on

    other
    > >> servers and want to take advantage of BENT's SQL agents.
    > >>
    > >> Otherwise, why did we get the SQL agents if we can't successfully back

    > up
    > >> all of our SQL databases? Are we forced to dump the databases to disk

    > and
    > >> back up SQL flat files for security? Maybe that should be done in

    > >conjunction
    > >> with the BENT SQL agents.
    > >>
    > >> Your expertise and suggestions are appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread