Full Tape Condition - Can files be restored? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Full Tape Condition - Can files be restored? - Veritas Backup Exec ; I am running v 7.3 b 2575 on a DLT7000 (35/70GB) drive. My backup is failing after ~59GB is written to the tape, which I believe is due to a full tape condition. Where on the tape is the catalog ...

  1. Full Tape Condition - Can files be restored?

    I am running v 7.3 b 2575 on a DLT7000 (35/70GB) drive. My backup is
    failing after ~59GB is written to the tape, which I believe is due to a full
    tape condition.

    Where on the tape is the catalog stored? I have the box checked to Use
    Storage Media-based Catalogs to speed up restores. If the job cannot
    complete due to a full tape condition, can any data be recovered from the
    tape?

  2. Re: Full Tape Condition - Can files be restored?

    Carolyn, this is one of the most interesting questions I've ever seen relating
    to BENT!!! I'm 90% sure of this answer and so I'm sorry I can't verify it
    for you. Maybe V support can do that if they read the thread...

    The media-based catalog is copied to the end of the tape used for backup
    AND to the default which is on disk, in the catalogs subdirectory located
    where you have installed BE. If the option is not ticked, the catalog will
    only be created on disk.

    Secondly, if the catalog does not exist on tape or disk for whatever reason,
    then you can always perform a catalog operation on the tape you want to restore
    from. Without the media-based catalog, the catalog process will take longer
    because it starts reading through the whole tape file by file to build the
    disk based catalog.

    Here's what I'm unsure of - when a backup job requires a second tape, the
    catalog cannot and does not get copied at the end of tape/media. This means
    those tapes will take a while to catalog.
    Hope someone can verify this?

    M!

    "Carolyn Hammons" wrote:
    >I am running v 7.3 b 2575 on a DLT7000 (35/70GB) drive. My >backup is failing

    after ~59GB is written to the tape, which I >believe is due to a full tape
    condition.

    >Where on the tape is the catalog stored? I have the box >checked to Use

    Storage Media-based Catalogs to speed up >restores. If the job cannot complete
    due to a full tape >condition, can any data be recovered from the tape?

  3. Re: Full Tape Condition - Can files be restored?

    A full tape shouldn't abort the job. It should alert/prompt to insert a
    new tape.

    (Unless of course you have appied the BrainDead registry hack that times
    out all Tape Alerts after a specified time period.

    Carolyn Hammons wrote:

    > I am running v 7.3 b 2575 on a DLT7000 (35/70GB) drive. My backup is
    > failing after ~59GB is written to the tape, which I believe is due to a full
    > tape condition.
    >
    > Where on the tape is the catalog stored? I have the box checked to Use
    > Storage Media-based Catalogs to speed up restores. If the job cannot
    > complete due to a full tape condition, can any data be recovered from the
    > tape?

  4. Re: Full Tape Condition - Can files be restored?

    Yes, I do have the reg hack in there ("Media Request Timeout Seconds") to
    timeout after X seconds as this was a requirement for DLT drives in order to
    get the job to end. Otherwise the job would sit until morning requesting an
    OK on the dismount message.

    Has this problem been fixed?

    Ken Putnam wrote in message <394FBD1B.5E25B7A4@harte-hanks.com>...
    >A full tape shouldn't abort the job. It should alert/prompt to insert a
    >new tape.
    >
    >(Unless of course you have appied the BrainDead registry hack that times
    >out all Tape Alerts after a specified time period.
    >
    >Carolyn Hammons wrote:
    >>
    >> I am running v 7.3 b 2575 on a DLT7000 (35/70GB) drive. My backup is
    >> failing after ~59GB is written to the tape, which I believe is due to a

    full
    >> tape condition.
    >>
    >> Where on the tape is the catalog stored? I have the box checked to Use
    >> Storage Media-based Catalogs to speed up restores. If the job cannot
    >> complete due to a full tape condition, can any data be recovered from the
    >> tape?

  5. Re: Full Tape Condition - Can files be restored?

    I removed the Media Request Timeout Seconds reg hack and will have the
    operators mount another tape tomorrow morning. They are here before most
    other people, so I'm optimistic the backup will just run for a short time
    and finish. Plus, that will help me figure out if it is truly a tape full
    condition or some other strange thing. Thanks for your help.

    Carolyn Hammons wrote in message <394fc8a5$1@hronntp01.>...
    >Yes, I do have the reg hack in there ("Media Request Timeout Seconds") to
    >timeout after X seconds as this was a requirement for DLT drives in order

    >get the job to end. Otherwise the job would sit until morning requesting

    an
    >OK on the dismount message.
    >
    >Has this problem been fixed?
    >

    >Ken Putnam wrote in message <394FBD1B.5E25B7A4@harte-hanks.com>...
    >>A full tape shouldn't abort the job. It should alert/prompt to insert a
    >>new tape.
    >>
    >>(Unless of course you have appied the BrainDead registry hack that times
    >>out all Tape Alerts after a specified time period.
    >>
    >>Carolyn Hammons wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I am running v 7.3 b 2575 on a DLT7000 (35/70GB) drive. My backup is
    >>> failing after ~59GB is written to the tape, which I believe is due to a

    >full
    >>> tape condition.
    >>>
    >>> Where on the tape is the catalog stored? I have the box checked to Use
    >>> Storage Media-based Catalogs to speed up restores. If the job cannot
    >>> complete due to a full tape condition, can any data be recovered from

    the
    >>> tape?

+ Reply to Thread