Unable to Append - Switches to Overwrite Operation?!? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Unable to Append - Switches to Overwrite Operation?!? - Veritas Backup Exec ; Has anyone else had this problem??? (Better yet, has anyone solved it?) I am having trouble getting Backup Exec to append to media. Each job insists on 'switching to overwrite operation on scratch media' even though i am sure that ...

  1. Unable to Append - Switches to Overwrite Operation?!?

    Has anyone else had this problem??? (Better yet, has anyone solved it?)

    I am having trouble getting Backup Exec to append to media. Each job
    insists on 'switching to overwrite operation on scratch media' even though i
    am sure that the media is NOT full and the Append period is set to INFINITE.

    My Current Scenario:
    ====================
    Software: Backup Exec v7.3 (SSE + Exchange Agent) for Windows NT Server 4.0
    w/SP5.
    Media & Device: 8 DLT tapes on a 35/70 DLT Quantum tape drive.
    M - Th: Incremental backup (4 tapes labeled Mon, Tu, Wed, Th)
    Friday: Normal backup (4 tapes labeled Fri1, Fri2, Fri3, Fri4)
    The Overwrite protection period is set to 5 days. (BOTH INCR & NORMAL)
    The Append period is set to INFINITE - Allow Append. (BOTH INCR & NORMAL)
    Media Overwrite Protection set to Partial.
    Overwrite scratch media before overwriting recyclable media...
    Exchange: Backup Method - FULL - Database & Logs (flush committed logs)
    Size of backups currently around ~12GB/Normal backup.

    Problem:
    ========
    Each log presents the same message:
    "No appendable media could be mounted.
    Switching to overwrite operation on scratch media."
    The overwrite backup successfully completes.
    Obviously, I'd like to APPEND otherwise we only have ONE WEEK's worth of
    incremental backups (instead of ONE MONTH.)
    Another thing to consider is that I have configured the Exchange Agent to
    run a FULL BACKUP for the Database and Logs even for the Incremental
    backups. However, the daily backups are not exceeding 12GB currently.

    Thanks in advance!
    Glen Liu
    Glen@SPACE.com

  2. Re: Unable to Append - Switches to Overwrite Operation?!?

    Quick question for you; is the tape you are about to backup to in the Scratch
    media pool prior to the backup running? You will need to check before the
    backup runs.

    "Glen Liu" wrote:
[...]

  3. Re: Unable to Append - Switches to Overwrite Operation?!?

    No, the tape is located in the appropriate User Media Set.

    Mankay wrote in message news:394a63a1$1@hronntp01....

    > Quick question for you; is the tape you are about to backup to in the

    Scratch
    > media pool prior to the backup running? You will need to check before the
    > backup runs.
    >
    > "Glen Liu" wrote:
    > Has anyone else had this problem??? (Better yet, has anyone solved it?)
    >
    > I am having trouble getting Backup Exec to append to media. Each job

    insists
    > on 'switching to overwrite operation on scratch media' even though i am

    sure
    > that the media is NOT full and the Append period is set to INFINITE.
    >
    > My Current Scenario:
    > ====================
    > Software: Backup Exec v7.3 (SSE + Exchange Agent) for Windows NT Server

    4.0
    > w/SP5.
    > M - Th: Incremental backup (4 tapes labeled Mon, Tu, Wed, Th)
    > Friday: Normal backup (4 tapes labeled Fri1, Fri2, Fri3, Fri4)
    > The Overwrite protection period is set to 5 days. (BOTH INCR & NORMAL)
    > The Append period is set to INFINITE - Allow Append. (BOTH INCR & NORMAL)
    >
    > Media Overwrite Protection set to Partial.
    > Overwrite scratch media before overwriting recyclable media...
    > Exchange: Backup Method - FULL - Database & Logs (flush committed logs)
    > Size of backups currently around ~12GB/Normal backup.
    >
    > Problem:
    > ========
    > Each log presents the same message:
    > "No appendable media could be mounted.
    > Switching to overwrite operation on scratch media."
    > The overwrite backup successfully completes.
    > Obviously, I'd like to APPEND otherwise we only have ONE WEEK's worth of
    > incremental backups (instead of ONE MONTH.)
    > Another thing to consider is that I have configured the Exchange Agent to
    > run a FULL BACKUP for the Database and Logs even for the Incremental

    backups.
    > However, the daily backups are not exceeding 12GB currently.
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    > Glen Liu
    > Glen@SPACE.com

  4. Re: Unable to Append - Switches to Overwrite Operation?!?

    do all the jobs call out the same media set? If not, BENT will not
    APPEND a set2 backup to a tape that already belongs to set1.

    Glen Liu wrote:

    > Has anyone else had this problem??? (Better yet, has anyone solved it?)
    >
    > I am having trouble getting Backup Exec to append to media. Each job
    > insists on 'switching to overwrite operation on scratch media' even though i
    > am sure that the media is NOT full and the Append period is set to INFINITE.
    >
    > My Current Scenario:
    > ====================
    > Software: Backup Exec v7.3 (SSE + Exchange Agent) for Windows NT Server 4.0
    > w/SP5.
    > Media & Device: 8 DLT tapes on a 35/70 DLT Quantum tape drive.
    > M - Th: Incremental backup (4 tapes labeled Mon, Tu, Wed, Th)
    > Friday: Normal backup (4 tapes labeled Fri1, Fri2, Fri3, Fri4)
    > The Overwrite protection period is set to 5 days. (BOTH INCR & NORMAL)
    > The Append period is set to INFINITE - Allow Append. (BOTH INCR & NORMAL)
    > Media Overwrite Protection set to Partial.
    > Overwrite scratch media before overwriting recyclable media...
    > Exchange: Backup Method - FULL - Database & Logs (flush committed logs)
    > Size of backups currently around ~12GB/Normal backup.
    >
    > Problem:
    > ========
    > Each log presents the same message:
    > "No appendable media could be mounted.
    > Switching to overwrite operation on scratch media."
    > The overwrite backup successfully completes.
    > Obviously, I'd like to APPEND otherwise we only have ONE WEEK's worth of
    > incremental backups (instead of ONE MONTH.)
    > Another thing to consider is that I have configured the Exchange Agent to
    > run a FULL BACKUP for the Database and Logs even for the Incremental
    > backups. However, the daily backups are not exceeding 12GB currently.
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    > Glen Liu
    > Glen@SPACE.com

+ Reply to Thread