Agent Accelerator on BENT 8.0 - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Agent Accelerator on BENT 8.0 - Veritas Backup Exec ; I get the following error in my job log. The backup appears successful, however I don't understand the error. Agent Accelerator not present - performing standard backup WARNING: Backup servers cannot completely protect remote Windows 2000 servers or workstations unless ...

  1. Agent Accelerator on BENT 8.0

    I get the following error in my job log. The backup appears successful,
    however I don't understand the error.

    Agent Accelerator not present - performing standard backup
    WARNING: Backup servers cannot completely protect remote
    Windows 2000 servers or workstations unless the Backup
    Exec Agent Accelerator for Windows NT/2000 is installed
    and running on each remote Windows 2000 server or
    workstation to be protected. Data loss can occur if the
    Agent Accelerator for Windows NT/2000 is not running
    while backing up remote Windows 2000 computers.

    Please refer to the documentation or online help for more information.
    Error gathering disaster recovery information from the remote machine.
    Verify that the most recent version of the Agent Accelerator is installed on
    this machine.

    --
    Mike Linkey -- MCSE
    Illinois Commerce Commission

  2. Re: Agent Accelerator on BENT 8.0

    The agent accelerator is something you would like to install on machines you
    wish to backup completely. If you don't have the Agent accelerator the NT
    registry won't be properly backed up. But if you are only backing up shares,
    and not complete machines it should work fine...
    Compare the NT accelerator to other agent if you like, ex: Exchange, Unix,
    Mac, etc, Etc...

    /Oskar

    "Mike Linkey" wrote in message
    > I get the following error in my job log. The backup appears successful,
    > however I don't understand the error.
    >
    > Agent Accelerator not present - performing standard backup
    > WARNING: Backup servers cannot completely protect remote
    > Windows 2000 servers or workstations unless the Backup
    > Exec Agent Accelerator for Windows NT/2000 is installed
    > and running on each remote Windows 2000 server or
    > workstation to be protected. Data loss can occur if the
    > Agent Accelerator for Windows NT/2000 is not running
    > while backing up remote Windows 2000 computers.
    >
    > Please refer to the documentation or online help for more information.
    > Error gathering disaster recovery information from the remote machine.
    > Verify that the most recent version of the Agent Accelerator is installed

    on
    > this machine.
    >

    > --
    > Mike Linkey -- MCSE
    > Illinois Commerce Commission
    > 527 E. Captial
    > Springfield, IL 62794

  3. Re: Agent Accelerator on BENT 8.0

    If these are NT4 boxes (Workstataion) you dont't need to worry about the
    message. The only problem would be that the throughput is slower than
    if you had the agent installed.

    For W2KPro, this is telling you that things like system state, and
    quotas (all the new goodies) aren't being backed up, so that you can't
    rely on these backups for disaster recovery, only for data recovery.

    You won't be able to backup W2K server boxes at all without the NT
    Agent.

    Mike Linkey wrote:

    > I get the following error in my job log. The backup appears successful,
    > however I don't understand the error.
    >
    > Agent Accelerator not present - performing standard backup
    > WARNING: Backup servers cannot completely protect remote
    > Windows 2000 servers or workstations unless the Backup
    > Exec Agent Accelerator for Windows NT/2000 is installed
    > and running on each remote Windows 2000 server or
    > workstation to be protected. Data loss can occur if the
    > Agent Accelerator for Windows NT/2000 is not running
    > while backing up remote Windows 2000 computers.
    >
    > Please refer to the documentation or online help for more information.
    > Error gathering disaster recovery information from the remote machine.
    > Verify that the most recent version of the Agent Accelerator is installed on
    > this machine.
    >
    > --
    > Mike Linkey -- MCSE
    > Illinois Commerce Commission