OFO: Not enough disk space... - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on OFO: Not enough disk space... - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hello. We are using Backup Exec v7.3 build 2575 REVISED + Patch update (post2575.exe) on our primary server. I have updated all the other servers in the site (that are backup up by our primary server's DLT drive). We have ...

  1. OFO: Not enough disk space...

    Hello.
    We are using Backup Exec v7.3 build 2575 REVISED + Patch update
    (post2575.exe) on our primary server.

    I have updated all the other servers in the site (that are backup up by our
    primary server's DLT drive).

    We have been getting random OFO errors (you know, the one that says that
    there is not enough disk space on device running OFO to create or increment
    the static volume). I have applied all the patches that I could find
    (including reinstalling to the latest release 2575 revised).

    This error occurs randomly on different drives (that all have a few GB
    left...)

    I have checked every document in the knowledge base that mentions this error
    and verified everything mentioned in those documents (disk space, security,
    updates...)

    Please help me. For now, restarting the server does the trick, but only for
    a day or two, after that, the error strikes back!!!

    Thanks a bunch,

    Alexandre Gohier
    agohier@usa.net

  2. Re: OFO: Not enough disk space...

    Hi,

    Same problem here: "OFO: Not enough disk space on device running OFO to
    create or increment the static volume. A minimum of 30 MB of available disk
    space to start the OFO operation is needed; during the backup, 10 percent of
    the capacity of the disk must be free."

    I get this pretty consistently on the backup server C$ drive, a 2GB drive
    with 455MB free.

    Anyone know what is going on?

    Thanks,

    Mark Berry

  3. Re: OFO: Not enough disk space...

    Mark,

    There seems to be many misconceptions that OFO does not work but I assure
    you it does. Try the following settings using the OFO wizard, but before
    you do so, make a directory on the d$ called OFO, that is "D:\OFO"...

    Initial Size: 250
    Incremental Size: 100
    Default Path: D:\OFO
    MinQuiet Time: 3 seconds

    These settings will not work for all installations and are specifically for
    version 7.3. If you want a sure fix, let me know what disk capacity you have
    on ALL your drives and also how much free space is available on all those
    disks and i will guarantee a working solution for you. Don't forget you need
    to restart the server after making changes like those I have outlined above.
    If anyone else out there would like a fix to there OFO running out of disk
    space problems, let me know and I'll provide the fix for you. I'm only sounding
    this confident because I have been able to resolve every one of my customers
    problems in the past - thats an 100% success rate. BUT, you must be using
    v7.3 revision 2575.1 with the POST2575.EXE fix. Similarly, send me the disk
    usage details if you are using v8.0 and I will likewise provide the necessary
    recommendations.

    Regards,
    Paul

    "Mark Berry" wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >Same problem here: "OFO: Not enough disk space on device >running OFO to

    create or increment the static volume. A minimum >of 30 MB of available disk
    space to start the OFO operation is >needed; during the backup, 10 percent
    of the capacity of the >disk must be free."
    >I get this pretty consistently on the backup server C$ drive, a >2GB drive

    with 455MB free.
    >Anyone know what is going on?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Mark Berry

  4. Re: OFO: Not enough disk space...

    Paul,

    Thanks for the tips. This machine only has one (active) drive, so no D$ is
    available. It's set to use the default file location (local root). I'll try
    expanding my initial size from 20 to 200 and see what happens.

    Regards,

    Mark Berry

    "Paul Reten" wrote in message

    > Mark,
    >
    > There seems to be many misconceptions that OFO does not work but I assure
    > you it does. Try the following settings using the OFO wizard, but before
    > you do so, make a directory on the d$ called OFO, that is "D:\OFO"...
    >
    > Initial Size: 250
    > Incremental Size: 100
    > Default Path: D:\OFO
    > MinQuiet Time: 3 seconds
    >
    > These settings will not work for all installations and are specifically

    for
    > version 7.3. If you want a sure fix, let me know what disk capacity you

    have
    > on ALL your drives and also how much free space is available on all those
    > disks and i will guarantee a working solution for you. Don't forget you

    need
    > to restart the server after making changes like those I have outlined

    above.
    > If anyone else out there would like a fix to there OFO running out of disk
    > space problems, let me know and I'll provide the fix for you. I'm only

    sounding
    > this confident because I have been able to resolve every one of my

    customers
    > problems in the past - thats an 100% success rate. BUT, you must be using
    > v7.3 revision 2575.1 with the POST2575.EXE fix. Similarly, send me the

    disk
    > usage details if you are using v8.0 and I will likewise provide the

    necessary
    > recommendations.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Paul
    >
    > "Mark Berry" wrote:
    > >Hi,
    > >
    > >Same problem here: "OFO: Not enough disk space on device >running OFO to

    > create or increment the static volume. A minimum >of 30 MB of available

    disk
    > space to start the OFO operation is >needed; during the backup, 10 percent
    > of the capacity of the >disk must be free."
    > >I get this pretty consistently on the backup server C$ drive, a >2GB

    drive
    > with 455MB free.
    > >Anyone know what is going on?
    > >
    > >Thanks,