W2k and Bexec 8 - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on W2k and Bexec 8 - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi I know that this post won't have replies from Veritas tech support, but I would like to ask people who's having same problems to post a reply, so we all can estimate how many customers are having this problem. ...

  1. W2k and Bexec 8

    Hi
    I know that this post won't have replies from Veritas tech support,
    but I would like to ask people who's having same problems to post a
    reply, so we all can estimate how many customers are having this
    problem.
    Problem1
    Backup server hangs during the backup, no bsod but only mouse cursor
    is on the screen. Looks like 100% cpu usage by high priority process.
    Problem2
    Remote server hangs or bluescreens during backup, There is Agent
    Accelerator and OFM installed on remote servers.
    Problem 3
    Backup server bluescreens after the restore of files ( locally or
    remotely)

    Thank you.

  2. Re: W2k and Bexec 8

    These are not common problems at all.
    I support a large number of customers using Backup Exec, ARCserve, Netbackup
    and even Windows NTbackup. The problem you are experiencing is hardware
    related. Is it intermittent or does it happen everytime?

    Yogik wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I know that this post won't have replies from Veritas tech support,
    > but I would like to ask people who's having same problems to post a
    > reply, so we all can estimate how many customers are having this
    > problem.
    > Problem1
    > Backup server hangs during the backup, no bsod but only mouse cursor
    > is on the screen. Looks like 100% cpu usage by high priority process.
    > Problem2
    > Remote server hangs or bluescreens during backup, There is Agent
    > Accelerator and OFM installed on remote servers.
    > Problem 3
    > Backup server bluescreens after the restore of files ( locally or
    > remotely)
    >
    > Thank you.

  3. Re: W2k and Bexec 8

    I hope you are right. One thing I'd have to mention is that I didn't have
    any problem with BOD or hanging till I install Veritas Backup exec, the
    average time between reboots of servers ( I have 8 of them) was about 4
    month. I've started with 7.3 and then upgaraded to 8.0. I have 2 backup
    servers. One of them is only doing backups of itself and doesn't have any
    problem ( server is NT4 sp6 + all hotfixes PIII 600 128ram Adaptec 131u2
    Raid and Mammoth LT tape drive). Another one is W2k server (all available
    hotfixes installed 2XPII 350, 128Ram Adaptec 131 Raid Mammoth M2 LVD tape
    drive 3X3com980b NICs with load balance installed). And this server is
    having problems , not a constant problems but random hanging during backup.
    This server is doing backups of itself and 6 other servers over the network.
    More then that, network servers are hanging randomly, ( I've never had them
    all hung at the same time it's random thing). I've upgraded Agent
    accelerator and Backup Exec server to 3314 but it didn't help. So if you
    have any idea of how I'd correct this problem this would be great.

    "mankay" wrote in message news:394493a2@hronntp01....
    > These are not common problems at all.
    > I support a large number of customers using Backup Exec, ARCserve,

    Netbackup
    > and even Windows NTbackup. The problem you are experiencing is hardware
    > related. Is it intermittent or does it happen everytime?
    >

    > Yogik wrote in message
    > > Hi
    > > I know that this post won't have replies from Veritas tech support,
    > > but I would like to ask people who's having same problems to post a
    > > reply, so we all can estimate how many customers are having this
    > > problem.
    > > Problem1
    > > Backup server hangs during the backup, no bsod but only mouse cursor
    > > is on the screen. Looks like 100% cpu usage by high priority process.
    > > Problem2
    > > Remote server hangs or bluescreens during backup, There is Agent
    > > Accelerator and OFM installed on remote servers.
    > > Problem 3
    > > Backup server bluescreens after the restore of files ( locally or
    > > remotely)
    > >
    > > Thank you.

  4. Re: W2k and Bexec 8

    I haven't experienced problem #1.
    I have seem problem #2 several times. The OFO is definitely part of the
    problem. There are some other
    people on this newsgroup who have also experienced this.
    I haven't experienced problem #3.

    "Yogik" wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I know that this post won't have replies from Veritas tech support,
    > but I would like to ask people who's having same problems to post a
    > reply, so we all can estimate how many customers are having this
    > problem.
    > Problem1
    > Backup server hangs during the backup, no bsod but only mouse cursor
    > is on the screen. Looks like 100% cpu usage by high priority process.
    > Problem2
    > Remote server hangs or bluescreens during backup, There is Agent
    > Accelerator and OFM installed on remote servers.
    > Problem 3
    > Backup server bluescreens after the restore of files ( locally or
    > remotely)
    >
    > Thank you.

  5. Re: W2k and Bexec 8

    looks like an OFO problem in version 7.x / 8.0
    Version 8.5 fixes this ofo problem, or there is a patch for 8.0 on the veritas
    site.

    I have had exactly the same problems and they all relate to OFO problmes.
    Get the patch an it works out ok.

    You may still go mad, like me, but it's beter that the BSOD.

    Good Luck

    Stuart...

    "mankay" wrote:
    >These are not common problems at all.
    >I support a large number of customers using Backup Exec, ARCserve, Netbackup
    >and even Windows NTbackup. The problem you are experiencing is hardware
    >related. Is it intermittent or does it happen everytime?
    >

    >Yogik wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >> I know that this post won't have replies from Veritas tech support,
    >> but I would like to ask people who's having same problems to post a
    >> reply, so we all can estimate how many customers are having this
    >> problem.
    >> Problem1
    >> Backup server hangs during the backup, no bsod but only mouse cursor
    >> is on the screen. Looks like 100% cpu usage by high priority process.
    >> Problem2
    >> Remote server hangs or bluescreens during backup, There is Agent
    >> Accelerator and OFM installed on remote servers.
    >> Problem 3
    >> Backup server bluescreens after the restore of files ( locally or
    >> remotely)
    >>
    >> Thank you.

+ Reply to Thread