Please insert overwritable media!!!! - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Please insert overwritable media!!!! - Veritas Backup Exec ; I recently upgraded Backup Exec from 7.0 to 8.0, but my backup is not working, everytime it gives this message " Please insert overwritable media", I tried using new tape, used one none of them working. I setup even overwrite ...

  1. Please insert overwritable media!!!!

    I recently upgraded Backup Exec from 7.0 to 8.0, but my backup is not working,
    everytime it gives this message " Please insert overwritable media", I tried
    using new tape, used one none of them working. I setup even overwrite protection
    to None, i also tried with partial overwrite protection. I thought if I upgrade
    it will work better but i am getting more problems

    Backup Exec version 8.0, Rev 3311
    Could nayone help me??
    thanks

  2. Re: Please insert overwritable media!!!!

    I had a similar problem going from BENT 7.x -> 8.0. BETN would not include
    any new media, though media that was already in BENT's database was OK. I
    had to delete the media database and re-inventory the tapes. Stop the BENT
    services and delete pvl.mdb (I don't recall if I had to uninstall/re-install
    BENT or not). WARNING, this will delete all label, media set and other
    sundry media information.

    Charles Villa

    "Kamal Shahid" wrote in message news:39368b14@hronntp01....

    > I recently upgraded Backup Exec from 7.0 to 8.0, but my backup is not

    working,
    > everytime it gives this message " Please insert overwritable media", I

    tried
    > using new tape, used one none of them working. I setup even overwrite

    protection
    > to None, i also tried with partial overwrite protection. I thought if I

    upgrade
    > it will work better but i am getting more problems
    >
    > Backup Exec version 8.0, Rev 3311
    > Could nayone help me??
    > thanks

  3. Re: Please insert overwritable media!!!!

    Have also upgraded from 7.3 > 8.0 with the exact same problem. I got it to
    work for two days.. But now I can't erase/backup/restore/label.. etc..
    If I run an Inventory job the log shows 100%, It even shows me the label of
    the tape,... But when clicking the Device tab it's either blank or says
    .

    If you get it to work, please mail me!! Support can't seem to help!

    /Oskar
    oskar.ruckle@signon.se

    "Kamal Shahid" wrote in message news:39368b14@hronntp01....

    > I recently upgraded Backup Exec from 7.0 to 8.0, but my backup is not

    working,
    > everytime it gives this message " Please insert overwritable media", I

    tried
    > using new tape, used one none of them working. I setup even overwrite

    protection
    > to None, i also tried with partial overwrite protection. I thought if I

    upgrade
    > it will work better but i am getting more problems
    >
    > Backup Exec version 8.0, Rev 3311
    > Could nayone help me??
    > thanks

  4. Re: Please insert overwritable media!!!!

    Hi guys,

    Check and see if you are getting any messages in the event logs around the
    same time, that includes both the system and application event logs. Second
    thing I would suggest is to...
    1. in the media tab, highlight the All Media branch and then drag all the
    tapes in the right window pane to the Scratch Media pool.
    2. delete ALL the user media sets under 'User Media Sets' in the Media tab.
    3. create a user media set called 'Media Set 1'
    4. if the shortest period of time before you recycle a tape is 7 days, set
    overwrite protection period for Media Set 1 to 6 days, if its 14 days before
    you re-use your tapes, then set the overwrite protection period to 13 days.
    You must right-click on Media Set 1 and go to properties to set the
    overwrite protection period.
    5. make sure the media overwrite protection level is set to partial in
    Tools/Options/Media Overwrite.

    The suggestion above is just a test. If it works, then you might just need
    to re-configure all the options and your rotation, well, if you've gone that
    far, you've just about done it.
    Anyway, good luck to you.
    M!

  5. Re: Please insert overwritable media!!!!

    I tried deleting the pvl.mdb file, but this resulted in not being able to
    start the BENT Server service. I decided that I would reinstall BENT 8.0
    and found the solution to the problem.

    When you run the setup program, InstallShield creates a series of files in
    the C:\TEMP\_ISTMP.DIR directory (it may have a slightly different name on
    each system). Let the setup program extract the files and then ALT-TAB away
    from the setup program and run NT Explorer. Inside this temporary directory
    that InstallShield created should be a pvl.mdb file. I copied this file to
    my BENT 8.0 directory, exited the setup program, started the BENT services
    and everything functioned normally (new tapes appeared under imported media,
    labeling and erase worked, and I didn't lose any info from my Media Sets
    or Drive Pools). I did have to change some of the BENT global options with
    this default install pvl.mdb file to match my previous setup.

    "Charles Villa" wrote:
    >I had a similar problem going from BENT 7.x -> 8.0. BETN would not include
    >any new media, though media that was already in BENT's database was OK.

    >had to delete the media database and re-inventory the tapes. Stop the BENT
    >services and delete pvl.mdb (I don't recall if I had to uninstall/re-install
    >BENT or not). WARNING, this will delete all label, media set and other
    >sundry media information.
    >
    >Charles Villa
    >
    >"Kamal Shahid" wrote in message news:39368b14@hronntp01....
    >>
    >> I recently upgraded Backup Exec from 7.0 to 8.0, but my backup is not

    >working,
    >> everytime it gives this message " Please insert overwritable media", I

    >tried
    >> using new tape, used one none of them working. I setup even overwrite

    >protection
    >> to None, i also tried with partial overwrite protection. I thought if

    >upgrade
    >> it will work better but i am getting more problems
    >>
    >> Backup Exec version 8.0, Rev 3311
    >> Could nayone help me??
    >> thanks

  6. Re: Please insert overwritable media!!!!

    Hi,
    that is it! You are right with the way for replace the pvl.mdb. Now Backup
    Exec is able to write on new tapes.

    "John Petrosky" wrote:

    >I tried deleting the pvl.mdb file, but this resulted in not being able to
    >start the BENT Server service. I decided that I would reinstall BENT 8.0
    >and found the solution to the problem.
    >
    >When you run the setup program, InstallShield creates a series of files

    in
    >the C:\TEMP\_ISTMP.DIR directory (it may have a slightly different name

    on
    >each system). Let the setup program extract the files and then ALT-TAB away
    >from the setup program and run NT Explorer. Inside this temporary directory
    >that InstallShield created should be a pvl.mdb file. I copied this file

    >my BENT 8.0 directory, exited the setup program, started the BENT services
    >and everything functioned normally (new tapes appeared under imported media,
    >labeling and erase worked, and I didn't lose any info from my Media Sets
    >or Drive Pools). I did have to change some of the BENT global options with
    >this default install pvl.mdb file to match my previous setup.
    >

    >"Charles Villa" wrote:
    >>I had a similar problem going from BENT 7.x -> 8.0. BETN would not include
    >>any new media, though media that was already in BENT's database was OK.

    >>had to delete the media database and re-inventory the tapes. Stop the

    BENT
    >>services and delete pvl.mdb (I don't recall if I had to uninstall/re-install
    >>BENT or not). WARNING, this will delete all label, media set and other
    >>sundry media information.
    >>
    >>Charles Villa
    >>
    >>"Kamal Shahid" wrote in message news:39368b14@hronntp01....
    >>>
    >>> I recently upgraded Backup Exec from 7.0 to 8.0, but my backup is not

    >>working,
    >>> everytime it gives this message " Please insert overwritable media",

    >>tried
    >>> using new tape, used one none of them working. I setup even overwrite

    >>protection
    >>> to None, i also tried with partial overwrite protection. I thought if

    >>upgrade
    >>> it will work better but i am getting more problems
    >>>
    >>> Backup Exec version 8.0, Rev 3311
    >>> Could nayone help me??
    >>> thanks

+ Reply to Thread