Device I/O errors - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Device I/O errors - Veritas Backup Exec ; Using BackupExec 8.0 build 3311 on Dell PowerEdge 2400 server running Windows NT 4 SP6a. Tape drive is Seagate Scorpion 24 STD224000N DDS-3 Tape Drive. I have 2 of these machines in house and 1 backs up no problem, the ...

  1. Device I/O errors

    Using BackupExec 8.0 build 3311 on Dell PowerEdge 2400 server running Windows
    NT 4 SP6a. Tape drive is Seagate Scorpion 24 STD224000N DDS-3 Tape Drive.
    I have 2 of these machines in house and 1 backs up no problem, the other
    continually receives following error message: Storage device "ARCHIVE 1"
    reported an error on a request to write data to media. Error reported: The
    request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. The machine
    is new, but I have run a cleaning tape through the drive at least 4 times
    already after only 3 days of "attempted" backups. I have tried multiple
    tapes also, even using tapes that were successfully used in the other machine
    that works. Thoughts? Suggestions? Help....

  2. Re: Device I/O errors

    Make sure your SCSI cables are seated (inside and out). This error is
    indicative of a hardware problem.

    Todd

    "Michael Brodeur" wrote in message

    > Using BackupExec 8.0 build 3311 on Dell PowerEdge 2400 server running

    Windows
    > NT 4 SP6a. Tape drive is Seagate Scorpion 24 STD224000N DDS-3 Tape Drive.
    > I have 2 of these machines in house and 1 backs up no problem, the other
    > continually receives following error message: Storage device "ARCHIVE 1"
    > reported an error on a request to write data to media. Error reported: The
    > request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. The

    machine
    > is new, but I have run a cleaning tape through the drive at least 4 times
    > already after only 3 days of "attempted" backups. I have tried multiple
    > tapes also, even using tapes that were successfully used in the other

    machine
    > that works. Thoughts? Suggestions? Help....

+ Reply to Thread