Not auto overwriting when no appendable media available - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Not auto overwriting when no appendable media available - Veritas Backup Exec ; My friday full backup did not run because it was prompting for a yes or no to overwrite data. The tape is only two months old. Does this mean it's full? I have it set to append, and overwrite if ...

  1. Not auto overwriting when no appendable media available

    My friday full backup did not run because it was prompting for a yes or no
    to overwrite data. The tape is only two months old. Does this mean it's full?
    I have it set to append, and overwrite if there is no appendable media available,
    so shouldn't it overwrite automatically? Do I need another tape? Please help
    I don't want to come into the office friday night to check on it!

    Liz Tichenor

  2. Re: Not auto overwriting when no appendable media available

    It all depends on how you have your media set(s) defined and whether or
    not you are filling up the tape. And how you have set overwrite
    protection (from the GUI select tools/options/media overwrite)

    If you run an inventory job when you change tapes (as recommended by
    Veritas) the tape will show up blue if it is overwriteable and black if
    it is not.

    Why isn't a Friday Full set to overwrite rather than append of any kind?

    Liz Tichenor wrote:

    > My friday full backup did not run because it was prompting for a yes or no
    > to overwrite data. The tape is only two months old. Does this mean it's full?
    > I have it set to append, and overwrite if there is no appendable media available,
    > so shouldn't it overwrite automatically? Do I need another tape? Please help
    > I don't want to come into the office friday night to check on it!
    >
    > Liz Tichenor

  3. Re: Not auto overwriting when no appendable media available

    I am having a similar difficulties, where it prompts for a Yes or No on overwrite
    for the full backup. Is there a way to turn that prompted off so that we
    don't
    have to come in Friday evenings to click "Yes"?

    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >It all depends on how you have your media set(s) defined and whether or
    >not you are filling up the tape. And how you have set overwrite
    >protection (from the GUI select tools/options/media overwrite)
    >
    >If you run an inventory job when you change tapes (as recommended by
    >Veritas) the tape will show up blue if it is overwriteable and black if
    >it is not.
    >
    >Why isn't a Friday Full set to overwrite rather than append of any kind?
    >
    >Liz Tichenor wrote:
    >>
    >> My friday full backup did not run because it was prompting for a yes or

    no
    >> to overwrite data. The tape is only two months old. Does this mean it's

    full?
    >> I have it set to append, and overwrite if there is no appendable media

    available,
    >> so shouldn't it overwrite automatically? Do I need another tape? Please

    help
    >> I don't want to come into the office friday night to check on it!
    >>
    >> Liz Tichenor

+ Reply to Thread