exabyte mammoth-2 support with version 8.0 - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on exabyte mammoth-2 support with version 8.0 - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have emailed veritas about this as I saw this tape drive in their hardware compatibility listing in version 8.0 of backup exec for windows nt. However, the software does not recognize the mammoth-2 drive after the install. Does anyone ...

  1. exabyte mammoth-2 support with version 8.0

    I have emailed veritas about this as I saw this tape drive in their hardware
    compatibility listing in version 8.0 of backup exec for windows nt. However,
    the software does not recognize the mammoth-2 drive after the install.
    Does anyone here have a similar problem?
    Any help given is appreciated.
    Best regards.

  2. Re: exabyte mammoth-2 support with version 8.0

    I have been having LOTS of problems with the M2 drives (I have two of them
    installed in an Exabyte-220 library). I'd love to know if you ever received
    any further information about this. The only thing I have been able to ascertain
    from Exabyte's tech support is that the driver I have from Veritas for the
    M2 is dated 11/99 and the M2's weren't formally introduced to the market
    until 12/99. They recommended seeing if there is a more updated version
    as the 11/99 version may be "actually for the Mammoth drive" (although Veritas
    reports it as an M2).

    Anyway... I'd appreciate hearing if you've resolved any of your issues and
    what kind of problems/resolutions you have come across. Help from Veritas
    and Exabyte is pretty lame!

    Thanks!! Lisa lockhart

    "Michael Que" wrote:

    >I have emailed veritas about this as I saw this tape drive in their hardware
    >compatibility listing in version 8.0 of backup exec for windows nt. However,
    >the software does not recognize the mammoth-2 drive after the install.
    >Does anyone here have a similar problem?
    >Any help given is appreciated.
    >Best regards.

  3. Re: exabyte mammoth-2 support with version 8.0

    Lisa,

    This is interesting. I have two Mammoth-2 drives in a EXB-220 library and
    we are still trying to get to the bottom of the problems. There are new
    drivers which support M2 (can be downloaded from Veritas site) but it would
    be interesting to compare the kinds of problems we are having.

    Mine has chewed tapes (had both drives replaced), backups have failed with
    semaphore errors, knocking a drive offline. We used Mammoth 1 for years
    without trouble and if M2 works it will be great.

    I've recently re-installed the software (V8.0 Build 3314) back onto NT4 as I
    am sure that the remote storage on Windows 2000 was interfering but the most
    recent backup has just failed again (Friday night)

    Exabyte in the UK have been brilliant with their support but they tell me
    that this is a very rare occurrence. Is it, or do we know different?

    Stewart Cooper
    ..
    "Lisa Lockhart" wrote in message

    > I have been having LOTS of problems with the M2 drives (I have two of them
    > installed in an Exabyte-220 library). I'd love to know if you ever

    received
    > any further information about this. The only thing I have been able to

    ascertain
    > from Exabyte's tech support is that the driver I have from Veritas for the
    > M2 is dated 11/99 and the M2's weren't formally introduced to the market
    > until 12/99. They recommended seeing if there is a more updated version
    > as the 11/99 version may be "actually for the Mammoth drive" (although

    Veritas
    > reports it as an M2).
    >
    > Anyway... I'd appreciate hearing if you've resolved any of your issues and
    > what kind of problems/resolutions you have come across. Help from Veritas
    > and Exabyte is pretty lame!
    >
    > Thanks!! Lisa lockhart
    >
    > "Michael Que" wrote:
    > >
    > >I have emailed veritas about this as I saw this tape drive in their

    hardware
    > >compatibility listing in version 8.0 of backup exec for windows nt.

    However,
    > >the software does not recognize the mammoth-2 drive after the install.
    > >Does anyone here have a similar problem?
    > >Any help given is appreciated.
    > >Best regards.

  4. Re: exabyte mammoth-2 support with version 8.0

    We are running veritas 8 (build 1315), mammoth 2 (ez17).

    And we also having (semaphore timeout problems).

    The EZ17 (Says Error), and the device goes offline (backup fails).

    Before we used the driver from exabyte( windows nt), also
    not good (i/o errors).

    If you know something more please, give me some help.

    Rob.

    "Stewart Cooper" wrote:
    >Lisa,
    >
    >This is interesting. I have two Mammoth-2 drives in a EXB-220 library and
    >we are still trying to get to the bottom of the problems. There are new
    >drivers which support M2 (can be downloaded from Veritas site) but it would
    >be interesting to compare the kinds of problems we are having.
    >
    >Mine has chewed tapes (had both drives replaced), backups have failed with
    >semaphore errors, knocking a drive offline. We used Mammoth 1 for years
    >without trouble and if M2 works it will be great.
    >
    >I've recently re-installed the software (V8.0 Build 3314) back onto NT4

    as I
    >am sure that the remote storage on Windows 2000 was interfering but the

    most
    >recent backup has just failed again (Friday night)
    >
    >Exabyte in the UK have been brilliant with their support but they tell me
    >that this is a very rare occurrence. Is it, or do we know different?
    >
    >Stewart Cooper
    >..
    >"Lisa Lockhart" wrote in message
    >>
    >> I have been having LOTS of problems with the M2 drives (I have two of

    them
    >> installed in an Exabyte-220 library). I'd love to know if you ever

    >received
    >> any further information about this. The only thing I have been able to

    >ascertain
    >> from Exabyte's tech support is that the driver I have from Veritas for

    the
    >> M2 is dated 11/99 and the M2's weren't formally introduced to the market
    >> until 12/99. They recommended seeing if there is a more updated version
    >> as the 11/99 version may be "actually for the Mammoth drive" (although

    >Veritas
    >> reports it as an M2).
    >>
    >> Anyway... I'd appreciate hearing if you've resolved any of your issues

    and
    >> what kind of problems/resolutions you have come across. Help from Veritas
    >> and Exabyte is pretty lame!
    >>
    >> Thanks!! Lisa lockhart
    >>
    >> "Michael Que" wrote:
    >> >
    >> >I have emailed veritas about this as I saw this tape drive in their

    >hardware
    >> >compatibility listing in version 8.0 of backup exec for windows nt.

    >However,
    >> >the software does not recognize the mammoth-2 drive after the install.
    >> >Does anyone here have a similar problem?
    >> >Any help given is appreciated.
    >> >Best regards.

  5. Re: exabyte mammoth-2 support with version 8.0

    I also have a Mammoth 2 with an EZ17 autoloader and am
    running Backup Exec version 7.03. I have had problems
    since purchasing it in April of this year. The tape drive
    frequently goes offline with semaphore time-outs and hard
    write errors. All of my backup tapes experience constand
    soft write errors as indicated in the BE log.

    We purchased the unit from Cybernetics, whom I've been
    working with for support. They've sent me an entirely new
    drive and autoloader but I still have the problem. I think
    they are lost now since everything has been replaced and
    reloaded. If a solution is found I'd appreciate some help.

    Jeff

    "broek" wrote:

    >We are running veritas 8 (build 1315), mammoth 2 (ez17).
    >
    >And we also having (semaphore timeout problems).
    >
    >The EZ17 (Says Error), and the device goes offline (backup fails).
    >
    >Before we used the driver from exabyte( windows nt), also
    >not good (i/o errors).
    >
    >If you know something more please, give me some help.
    >

    >Rob.
    >
    >"Stewart Cooper" wrote:
    >>Lisa,
    >>
    >>This is interesting. I have two Mammoth-2 drives in a EXB-220 library

    and
    >>we are still trying to get to the bottom of the problems. There are new
    >>drivers which support M2 (can be downloaded from Veritas site) but it would
    >>be interesting to compare the kinds of problems we are having.
    >>
    >>Mine has chewed tapes (had both drives replaced), backups have failed with
    >>semaphore errors, knocking a drive offline. We used Mammoth 1 for years
    >>without trouble and if M2 works it will be great.
    >>
    >>I've recently re-installed the software (V8.0 Build 3314) back onto NT4

    >as I
    >>am sure that the remote storage on Windows 2000 was interfering but the

    >most
    >>recent backup has just failed again (Friday night)
    >>
    >>Exabyte in the UK have been brilliant with their support but they tell

    me
    >>that this is a very rare occurrence. Is it, or do we know different?
    >>
    >>Stewart Cooper
    >>..
    >>"Lisa Lockhart" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I have been having LOTS of problems with the M2 drives (I have two of

    >them
    >>> installed in an Exabyte-220 library). I'd love to know if you ever

    >>received
    >>> any further information about this. The only thing I have been able

    >>ascertain
    >>> from Exabyte's tech support is that the driver I have from Veritas for

    >the
    >>> M2 is dated 11/99 and the M2's weren't formally introduced to the market
    >>> until 12/99. They recommended seeing if there is a more updated version
    >>> as the 11/99 version may be "actually for the Mammoth drive" (although

    >>Veritas
    >>> reports it as an M2).
    >>>
    >>> Anyway... I'd appreciate hearing if you've resolved any of your issues

    >and
    >>> what kind of problems/resolutions you have come across. Help from Veritas
    >>> and Exabyte is pretty lame!
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!! Lisa lockhart

    >>hardware

    >>However,

  6. Re: exabyte mammoth-2 support with version 8.0

    Thank, this means I can stop fiddling with SCSI, drivers etc.

    We have the exact same problems. Mammoth2 and EZ17, latest 8.0 on W2K.

    I think we need to direct this issue to the people at Exabyte? Is this some
    type of timing issue? Seems to accelerate if I take backup through the
    firewall.

    /Jan Sveide/

    "Jeff Bogden" wrote in message

    > I also have a Mammoth 2 with an EZ17 autoloader and am
    > running Backup Exec version 7.03. I have had problems
    > since purchasing it in April of this year. The tape drive
    > frequently goes offline with semaphore time-outs and hard
    > write errors. All of my backup tapes experience constand
    > soft write errors as indicated in the BE log.
    >
    > We purchased the unit from Cybernetics, whom I've been
    > working with for support. They've sent me an entirely new
    > drive and autoloader but I still have the problem. I think
    > they are lost now since everything has been replaced and
    > reloaded. If a solution is found I'd appreciate some help.
    >
    > Jeff
    >
    > "broek" wrote:
    > >
    > >We are running veritas 8 (build 1315), mammoth 2 (ez17).
    > >
    > >And we also having (semaphore timeout problems).
    > >
    > >The EZ17 (Says Error), and the device goes offline (backup fails).
    > >
    > >Before we used the driver from exabyte( windows nt), also
    > >not good (i/o errors).
    > >
    > >If you know something more please, give me some help.
    > >

    > >Rob.
    > >
    > >"Stewart Cooper" wrote:
    > >>Lisa,
    > >>
    > >>This is interesting. I have two Mammoth-2 drives in a EXB-220 library

    > and
    > >>we are still trying to get to the bottom of the problems. There are new
    > >>drivers which support M2 (can be downloaded from Veritas site) but it

    would
    > >>be interesting to compare the kinds of problems we are having.
    > >>
    > >>Mine has chewed tapes (had both drives replaced), backups have failed

    with
    > >>semaphore errors, knocking a drive offline. We used Mammoth 1 for years
    > >>without trouble and if M2 works it will be great.
    > >>
    > >>I've recently re-installed the software (V8.0 Build 3314) back onto NT4

    > >as I
    > >>am sure that the remote storage on Windows 2000 was interfering but the

    > >most
    > >>recent backup has just failed again (Friday night)
    > >>
    > >>Exabyte in the UK have been brilliant with their support but they tell

    > me
    > >>that this is a very rare occurrence. Is it, or do we know different?
    > >>
    > >>Stewart Cooper
    > >>..
    > >>"Lisa Lockhart" wrote in message

    > >them
    > >>received

    > >>ascertain

    > >the

    market

    version
    > >>Veritas

    > >and

    Veritas

    > >>hardware
    > >>However,

    install.

  7. Re: exabyte mammoth-2 support with version 8.0

    We too are having the same Semaphore timeout and "Error on request to space
    to end of data" problems. We have tried two EZ17/M2 units, same problem
    on both. Backup Exec is 7.3 Build 2575. One curiosity comes to mind, what
    SCSI adapters are you using? We have an Adaptec 29160. Are others using
    different adapters? If so, what are you using. Is anyone having success
    with this autoloader and drive combo?

    Exabyte doesn't call back and hasn't been much help. Veritas' Knowledgebase
    indicates driver timing and recommends loading the latest driver, but I loaded
    the current driver when I first installed the system a month ago. Nothing
    new is available from either Veritas or Exabyte. I'm about ready to send
    this baby back!

    Thanks,

    Norm Hinman
    Shasta College
    Redding, CA USA

    "Jan Sveide" wrote:
    >Thank, this means I can stop fiddling with SCSI, drivers etc.
    >
    >We have the exact same problems. Mammoth2 and EZ17, latest 8.0 on W2K.
    >
    >I think we need to direct this issue to the people at Exabyte? Is this some
    >type of timing issue? Seems to accelerate if I take backup through the
    >firewall.
    >
    >/Jan Sveide/
    >
    >"Jeff Bogden" wrote in message
    >>
    >> I also have a Mammoth 2 with an EZ17 autoloader and am
    >> running Backup Exec version 7.03. I have had problems
    >> since purchasing it in April of this year. The tape drive
    >> frequently goes offline with semaphore time-outs and hard
    >> write errors. All of my backup tapes experience constand
    >> soft write errors as indicated in the BE log.
    >>
    >> We purchased the unit from Cybernetics, whom I've been
    >> working with for support. They've sent me an entirely new
    >> drive and autoloader but I still have the problem. I think
    >> they are lost now since everything has been replaced and
    >> reloaded. If a solution is found I'd appreciate some help.
    >>
    >> Jeff
    >>
    >> "broek" wrote:
    >> >
    >> >We are running veritas 8 (build 1315), mammoth 2 (ez17).
    >> >
    >> >And we also having (semaphore timeout problems).
    >> >
    >> >The EZ17 (Says Error), and the device goes offline (backup fails).
    >> >
    >> >Before we used the driver from exabyte( windows nt), also
    >> >not good (i/o errors).
    >> >
    >> >If you know something more please, give me some help.
    >> >

    >> >Rob.

    >> and

    new

    >would

    >with

    NT4
    >> >as I

    the
    >> >most

    >> me

    of
    >> >them

    for
    >> >the

    >market

    >version

    >> >and

    >Veritas

    >install.

  8. Re: exabyte mammoth-2 support with version 8.0

    Yes, I have exactly the same problems with my EZ17/M2 combination and Backup
    Exec 7.3 build 2575.
    I'm yet to try the support lines, does anyone have any luck solving this
    problem or is it better to just return the drive and try something
    different????
    Anyone know if this problem occurs in other backup software??

    Regards

    Richard Tongue
    Esparto Digital Ltd.
    Derby, UK

    "Zeldar" wrote in message

    > We too are having the same Semaphore timeout and "Error on request to

    space
    > to end of data" problems. We have tried two EZ17/M2 units, same problem
    > on both. Backup Exec is 7.3 Build 2575. One curiosity comes to mind,

    what
    > SCSI adapters are you using? We have an Adaptec 29160. Are others using
    > different adapters? If so, what are you using. Is anyone having success
    > with this autoloader and drive combo?
    >
    > Exabyte doesn't call back and hasn't been much help. Veritas'

    Knowledgebase
    > indicates driver timing and recommends loading the latest driver, but I

    loaded
    > the current driver when I first installed the system a month ago. Nothing
    > new is available from either Veritas or Exabyte. I'm about ready to send
    > this baby back!
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Norm Hinman
    > Shasta College
    > Redding, CA USA
    >
    > "Jan Sveide" wrote:
    > >Thank, this means I can stop fiddling with SCSI, drivers etc.
    > >
    > >We have the exact same problems. Mammoth2 and EZ17, latest 8.0 on W2K.
    > >
    > >I think we need to direct this issue to the people at Exabyte? Is this

    some
    > >type of timing issue? Seems to accelerate if I take backup through the
    > >firewall.
    > >
    > >/Jan Sveide/
    > >
    > >"Jeff Bogden" wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> I also have a Mammoth 2 with an EZ17 autoloader and am
    > >> running Backup Exec version 7.03. I have had problems
    > >> since purchasing it in April of this year. The tape drive
    > >> frequently goes offline with semaphore time-outs and hard
    > >> write errors. All of my backup tapes experience constand
    > >> soft write errors as indicated in the BE log.
    > >>
    > >> We purchased the unit from Cybernetics, whom I've been
    > >> working with for support. They've sent me an entirely new
    > >> drive and autoloader but I still have the problem. I think
    > >> they are lost now since everything has been replaced and
    > >> reloaded. If a solution is found I'd appreciate some help.
    > >>
    > >> Jeff

    library
    > >> and

    > new