Exchange--Backing up Indiv. Mailboxes - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Exchange--Backing up Indiv. Mailboxes - Veritas Backup Exec ; Both the online help and the manual state: "When selecting objects from the mailbox tree, all objects are displayed as messages...." But when I read this, I think something is wrong here. In my BackupExec (ver 7.3 for NT) the ...

  1. Exchange--Backing up Indiv. Mailboxes

    Both the online help and the manual state: "When selecting objects from the
    mailbox tree, all objects are displayed as messages...." But when I read
    this, I think something is wrong here. In my BackupExec (ver 7.3 for NT) the
    backup selections on my Exchange server include the Directory and the
    Information Store. And under both of those I find "No selections exist for
    this resource." In fact, given the sight of that, I have to wonder whether
    anything is being backed up. So my question is twofold. First, shouldn't
    there be "selections." And two, would the selections that are missing be
    what the manual refers to as the mailbox tree?

    P.S. -- Sure would be nice if Veritas would provide a little graphics now
    and then in their lit.--not to mention definition of terms!!!

  2. Re: Exchange--Backing up Indiv. Mailboxes

    Okay, I found the solution myself. There is an art to reading Veritas
    Literature. When they say "the Exchange Client must be installed ont he
    backup server," what they really mean is the Exchange
    Administrator--installing a client such as Outlook accomplishes nothing.

    "Bill Wettler" wrote in message
    > Both the online help and the manual state: "When selecting objects from

    the
    > mailbox tree, all objects are displayed as messages...." But when I read
    > this, I think something is wrong here. In my BackupExec (ver 7.3 for NT)

    the
    > backup selections on my Exchange server include the Directory and the
    > Information Store. And under both of those I find "No selections exist for
    > this resource." In fact, given the sight of that, I have to wonder whether
    > anything is being backed up. So my question is twofold. First, shouldn't
    > there be "selections." And two, would the selections that are missing be
    > what the manual refers to as the mailbox tree?
    >
    > P.S. -- Sure would be nice if Veritas would provide a little graphics now
    > and then in their lit.--not to mention definition of terms!!!

+ Reply to Thread