SunOS 5.7 - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on SunOS 5.7 - Veritas Backup Exec ; Has anyone had any luck backing up UNIX SunOS 5.7? I have the BE Agent 5.020 installed, and it seems to work, but it is ~25MB/Min. Any help for speeding up the process or shouldn't I be running it on ...

  1. SunOS 5.7

    Has anyone had any luck backing up UNIX SunOS 5.7? I have the BE Agent
    5.020 installed, and it seems to work, but it is ~25MB/Min. Any help for
    speeding up the process or shouldn't I be running it on this machine?

  2. Re: SunOS 5.7

    What type of network do you have? 10/100? 10? That is probably about what
    you'd see in a 10MB network with the Unix agent (which doesn't have
    compression).

    Todd

    "m" wrote in message news:38fb6acb@hronntp01....
    > Has anyone had any luck backing up UNIX SunOS 5.7? I have the BE Agent
    > 5.020 installed, and it seems to work, but it is ~25MB/Min. Any help for
    > speeding up the process or shouldn't I be running it on this machine?

  3. Re: SunOS 5.7

    I use similar config Solaris 7 with BE 5.020 agent and I have 3 main
    problems
    1) SLOW SLOW SLOW - between 40MB/min and 200MB/min - NT agent works at
    350-500 MB/min.
    2) Skips over files that are open - although tar/cpio/cp copy the files OK.
    3) Skips over special files (named pipes, etc).

    Veritas should make the code for the Unix agent public.
    I'm sure event a junior programmer could improve the agent.

    Please Veritas improve the agent!

    Regards,

    Alberto
    mailto:ads@rmb.co.za

    "m" wrote in message news:38fb6acb@hronntp01....
    > Has anyone had any luck backing up UNIX SunOS 5.7? I have the BE Agent
    > 5.020 installed, and it seems to work, but it is ~25MB/Min. Any help for
    > speeding up the process or shouldn't I be running it on this machine?

  4. Re: SunOS 5.7

    In addition to deplorably slow backup/verify times, the latest
    unix agent is unable to correctly handle files of type 'c'.
    The agent reports these small files (< 50bytes) as being hundreds
    of gigabytes large. In addition to trashing statistics on
    backup sets, the default crystal report "backupset.rpt" blows
    out when files of type 'c' are in any of the backup sets.

    "Alberto da Silva" wrote:
    >I use similar config Solaris 7 with BE 5.020 agent and I have 3 main
    >problems
    >1) SLOW SLOW SLOW - between 40MB/min and 200MB/min - NT agent works at
    >350-500 MB/min.
    >2) Skips over files that are open - although tar/cpio/cp copy the files

    OK.
    >3) Skips over special files (named pipes, etc).
    >
    >Veritas should make the code for the Unix agent public.
    >I'm sure event a junior programmer could improve the agent.
    >
    >Please Veritas improve the agent!
    >
    >Regards,
    >
    >Alberto
    >mailto:ads@rmb.co.za
    >
    >"m" wrote in message news:38fb6acb@hronntp01....
    >> Has anyone had any luck backing up UNIX SunOS 5.7? I have the BE Agent
    >> 5.020 installed, and it seems to work, but it is ~25MB/Min. Any help

    for
    >> speeding up the process or shouldn't I be running it on this machine?

+ Reply to Thread