slow exchange server backups, question about switches - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on slow exchange server backups, question about switches - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hello, I am running BENT 7.2 build 1223 on a PII 350, 192 MB RAM. It has Exchange 5.5 SP3 on it, NT 4 SP6a, that's it. 2 tape drives 1) HP DAT 8 internal 1 yr old, 2) Conner ...

  1. slow exchange server backups, question about switches

    Hello,

    I am running BENT 7.2 build 1223 on a PII 350, 192 MB RAM. It has
    Exchange 5.5 SP3 on it, NT 4 SP6a, that's it. 2 tape drives 1) HP DAT 8
    internal 1 yr old, 2) Conner external 3-4 yrs old

    Lately I've noticed my backups getting slower when backing up the local
    machine (Exch) to the HP internal. Regularly, they are around 25
    MB/min, which I thought was OK, til I starterd reading around here.
    I've seen people say that this is slow, that they are backing up around
    200 mb/min. On the Exch backup I am doing IS/DS and mailboxes. I do
    know that the mailboxes slow it down, but I've bee running this for over
    a yr with no real problems.

    I also backup another server (data, over the LAN) to the Conner
    external, and that runs around 35 mb/min, but I'm not using the agent
    accel. I used to, but never saw a difference.

    One of my concerns is my 24 port switch. It is auto-nego, and it sounds
    as if I shouldn't be doing that, I should set it to 100/half or
    100/full.

    My questions:
    1. How do I set the NIC card? They are 3 COM 10/100. I do know how to
    set the switch.
    2. Can anyone give me any clues on why the local Exch server is so slow.

    3. Should I upgrade to build 1616 of BE?
    4. Should I set the NIC and switch to 100/full or 100/half?

    Thanx for the input,
    Pete

  2. Re: slow exchange server backups, question about switches

    Replies inline

    "Peter A. Ruby" wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I am running BENT 7.2 build 1223 on a PII 350, 192 MB RAM. It has
    > Exchange 5.5 SP3 on it, NT 4 SP6a, that's it. 2 tape drives 1) HP DAT 8
    > internal 1 yr old, 2) Conner external 3-4 yrs old
    >
    > Lately I've noticed my backups getting slower when backing up the local
    > machine (Exch) to the HP internal. Regularly, they are around 25
    > MB/min, which I thought was OK, til I starterd reading around here.
    > I've seen people say that this is slow, that they are backing up around
    > 200 mb/min. On the Exch backup I am doing IS/DS and mailboxes. I do
    > know that the mailboxes slow it down, but I've bee running this for over
    > a yr with no real problems.
    >
    > I also backup another server (data, over the LAN) to the Conner
    > external, and that runs around 35 mb/min, but I'm not using the agent
    > accel. I used to, but never saw a difference.
    >
    > One of my concerns is my 24 port switch. It is auto-nego, and it sounds
    > as if I shouldn't be doing that, I should set it to 100/half or
    > 100/full.
    >
    > My questions:
    > 1. How do I set the NIC card? They are 3 COM 10/100. I do know how to
    > set the switch.

    If you have used the 3com install program rather that using the NT
    supplied
    drivers, you should have a program group for the 3com diagnostics.

    > 2. Can anyone give me any clues on why the local Exch server is so slow.

    Is this overall throughput for the backup or just the mailbox portion?
    I have exchange installed on a Compaq Proliant 2500 Dual Pro200/256MB
    RAM
    backing up to a Compaq DLT7000 via the onboard UltraSCSI interface that
    for
    IS and DS only gets close to 400MB/min on a 4.5GB IS.

    > 3. Should I upgrade to build 1616 of BE?

    I would. The only reason that I left 1616 was for the SQL support
    upgrades
    in V7.3 IMHO 1616 was one of the most stable builds put out.
    or you could go all the way to V7.3/2575. That is the last free upgrade
    for V7.2/V7.3 users. But be sure that you are using V7.2/1616 not
    V7.01/1616. V7.3 is not a freee upgrade in that case, won't accept your
    V7 serial(s) and will leave you with no running backup system untill you
    re-instal what you have!

    > 4. Should I set the NIC and switch to 100/full or 100/half?

    Seagate and Veritas support both have told me not to use full duplex,
    but
    have never satisfied me why I need to lower over all thoughput to
    satisfy my backup program. I run 100/full on all my networked servers
    with no discernable problems.

    > Thanx for the input,
    > Pete

  3. Re: slow exchange server backups, question about switches

    Ken, (and all)

    Ken Putnam wrote:

    > Replies inline
    >
    > "Peter A. Ruby" wrote:
    > >
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I am running BENT 7.2 build 1223 on a PII 350, 192 MB RAM. It has
    > > Exchange 5.5 SP3 on it, NT 4 SP6a, that's it. 2 tape drives 1) HP DAT 8
    > > internal 1 yr old, 2) Conner external 3-4 yrs old
    > >
    > > Lately I've noticed my backups getting slower when backing up the local
    > > machine (Exch) to the HP internal. Regularly, they are around 25
    > > MB/min, which I thought was OK, til I starterd reading around here.
    > > I've seen people say that this is slow, that they are backing up around
    > > 200 mb/min. On the Exch backup I am doing IS/DS and mailboxes. I do
    > > know that the mailboxes slow it down, but I've bee running this for over
    > > a yr with no real problems.
    > >
    > > I also backup another server (data, over the LAN) to the Conner
    > > external, and that runs around 35 mb/min, but I'm not using the agent
    > > accel. I used to, but never saw a difference.
    > >
    > > One of my concerns is my 24 port switch. It is auto-nego, and it sounds
    > > as if I shouldn't be doing that, I should set it to 100/half or
    > > 100/full.
    > >
    > > My questions:
    > > 1. How do I set the NIC card? They are 3 COM 10/100. I do know how to
    > > set the switch.

    > If you have used the 3com install program rather that using the NT
    > supplied
    > drivers, you should have a program group for the 3com diagnostics.

    I'm not sure which was used. I'm assuming I can just boot to the 3 COM
    floppy?

    > > 2. Can anyone give me any clues on why the local Exch server is so slow.

    > Is this overall throughput for the backup or just the mailbox portion?
    > I have exchange installed on a Compaq Proliant 2500 Dual Pro200/256MB
    > RAM
    > backing up to a Compaq DLT7000 via the onboard UltraSCSI interface that
    > for
    > IS and DS only gets close to 400MB/min on a 4.5GB IS.

    The mailboxes seem to be the slow part, yes. The backup average lately is
    around 6-8 MB/min. The IS is 700 MB.

    > > 3. Should I upgrade to build 1616 of BE?

    > I would. The only reason that I left 1616 was for the SQL support
    > upgrades
    > in V7.3 IMHO 1616 was one of the most stable builds put out.
    > or you could go all the way to V7.3/2575. That is the last free upgrade
    > for V7.2/V7.3 users. But be sure that you are using V7.2/1616 not
    > V7.01/1616. V7.3 is not a freee upgrade in that case, won't accept your
    > V7 serial(s) and will leave you with no running backup system untill you
    > re-instal what you have!
    >
    > > 4. Should I set the NIC and switch to 100/full or 100/half?
    > >

    > Seagate and Veritas support both have told me not to use full duplex,
    > but
    > have never satisfied me why I need to lower over all thoughput to
    > satisfy my backup program. I run 100/full on all my networked servers
    > with no discernable problems.

    Yeah, everything is auto right now. Does it matter what order I change the
    NIC and switch? Should I do the NIC first, or switch?

    > > Thanx for the input,
    > > Pete

    Thanx again,
    Pete

  4. Re: slow exchange server backups, question about switches

    Again, Replies inline

    "Peter A. Ruby" wrote:

    > Ken, (and all)
    >
    > Ken Putnam wrote:
    >
    > > Replies inline
    > >
    > > "Peter A. Ruby" wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Hello,
    > > >
    > > > I am running BENT 7.2 build 1223 on a PII 350, 192 MB RAM. It has
    > > > Exchange 5.5 SP3 on it, NT 4 SP6a, that's it. 2 tape drives 1) HP DAT 8
    > > > internal 1 yr old, 2) Conner external 3-4 yrs old
    > > >
    > > > Lately I've noticed my backups getting slower when backing up the local
    > > > machine (Exch) to the HP internal. Regularly, they are around 25
    > > > MB/min, which I thought was OK, til I starterd reading around here.
    > > > I've seen people say that this is slow, that they are backing up around
    > > > 200 mb/min. On the Exch backup I am doing IS/DS and mailboxes. I do
    > > > know that the mailboxes slow it down, but I've bee running this for over
    > > > a yr with no real problems.
    > > >
    > > > I also backup another server (data, over the LAN) to the Conner
    > > > external, and that runs around 35 mb/min, but I'm not using the agent
    > > > accel. I used to, but never saw a difference.
    > > >
    > > > One of my concerns is my 24 port switch. It is auto-nego, and it sounds
    > > > as if I shouldn't be doing that, I should set it to 100/half or
    > > > 100/full.
    > > >
    > > > My questions:
    > > > 1. How do I set the NIC card? They are 3 COM 10/100. I do know how to
    > > > set the switch.

    > > If you have used the 3com install program rather that using the NT
    > > supplied
    > > drivers, you should have a program group for the 3com diagnostics.

    > I'm not sure which was used. I'm assuming I can just boot to the 3 COM
    > floppy?

    Go to http://support.3com.com/infodeli/tools/nic/index.htm select your
    card
    and download the appropriate drivers. Install them and then you'll have
    the diagnostics program.

    > > > 2. Can anyone give me any clues on why the local Exch server is so slow.

    > > Is this overall throughput for the backup or just the mailbox portion?
    > > I have exchange installed on a Compaq Proliant 2500 Dual Pro200/256MB
    > > RAM
    > > backing up to a Compaq DLT7000 via the onboard UltraSCSI interface that
    > > for
    > > IS and DS only gets close to 400MB/min on a 4.5GB IS.

    > The mailboxes seem to be the slow part, yes. The backup average lately is
    > around 6-8 MB/min. The IS is 700 MB.

    The IS and DS are probably going quite a bit faster. the problen with
    the
    bick level backup is that Backup Exec has to open an read each message
    over the
    wire, which is very inefficient.

    > > > 3. Should I upgrade to build 1616 of BE?

    > > I would. The only reason that I left 1616 was for the SQL support
    > > upgrades
    > > in V7.3 IMHO 1616 was one of the most stable builds put out.
    > > or you could go all the way to V7.3/2575. That is the last free upgrade
    > > for V7.2/V7.3 users. But be sure that you are using V7.2/1616 not
    > > V7.01/1616. V7.3 is not a freee upgrade in that case, won't accept your
    > > V7 serial(s) and will leave you with no running backup system untill you
    > > re-instal what you have!
    > >
    > > > 4. Should I set the NIC and switch to 100/full or 100/half?
    > > >

    > > Seagate and Veritas support both have told me not to use full duplex,
    > > but
    > > have never satisfied me why I need to lower over all thoughput to
    > > satisfy my backup program. I run 100/full on all my networked servers
    > > with no discernable problems.

    > Yeah, everything is auto right now. Does it matter what order I change the
    > NIC and switch? Should I do the NIC first, or switch?

    Doesn't make any difference, just do them together

    > > > Thanx for the input,
    > > > Pete

    > Thanx again,
    > Pete