Backups are failing, but how do I figure out WHY?? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Backups are failing, but how do I figure out WHY?? - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hello, we're running Backup Exec 7.2x on our NT server. Lately, I've been getting error messages in the Job Monitor stating that the backup (both incremental and normal) failed... But there is no explanation in either Job Monitor or Alerts, ...

  1. Backups are failing, but how do I figure out WHY??

    Hello, we're running Backup Exec 7.2x on our NT server.
    Lately, I've been getting error messages in the Job Monitor stating that
    the backup (both incremental and normal) failed...

    But there is no explanation in either Job Monitor or Alerts, other than a
    warning that the virus update should be done (which I've tried and it does
    NOT work!!).

    I could not find anything in any of the log files wherefrom I could get a
    clue as to the problem.

    It does appear that all the backup is getting done...but I can't tell for
    SURE...

    Please:

    1. Tell me where/how I can update the virus checking feature, could that
    be the problem??

    2. Tell me *where* within the log file I should look to try to find the error/problem????

    Thank you!!

    tom

  2. Re: Backups are failing, but how do I figure out WHY??

    tom lyczko wrote:

    > Hello, we're running Backup Exec 7.2x on our NT server.
    > Lately, I've been getting error messages in the Job Monitor stating that
    > the backup (both incremental and normal) failed...
    >
    > But there is no explanation in either Job Monitor or Alerts, other than a
    > warning that the virus update should be done (which I've tried and it does
    > NOT work!!).
    >
    > I could not find anything in any of the log files wherefrom I could get a
    > clue as to the problem.
    >
    > It does appear that all the backup is getting done...but I can't tell for
    > SURE...
    >
    > Please:
    >
    > 1. Tell me where/how I can update the virus checking feature, could that
    > be the problem??

    See TechNote ID: 190597

    > 2. Tell me *where* within the log file I should look to try to find the error/problem????

    The following is the list I use to determine the cause of a "FAILED"
    status.
    If you have an editor that suports macros, set one up that you can use
    to scan
    any failed job log.

    Access Denied
    Corrupt File