Sony TSL-9000 changer setup - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Sony TSL-9000 changer setup - Veritas Backup Exec ; I am having a problem with my Sony TSL-9000 changer and backupexec 7.0, NT 4.0 and adaptec controllers. It always shows up as a standalone drive not as a changer. I cannot inventory or use any tape execept the one ...

  1. Sony TSL-9000 changer setup

    I am having a problem with my Sony TSL-9000 changer and backupexec 7.0, NT
    4.0 and adaptec controllers. It always shows up as a standalone drive not
    as a changer. I cannot inventory or use any tape execept the one in the
    middle slot. I have deleted the device and reconfigured many times. I have
    enabled multi-lun support, updated adaptec SCSI drivers, installed loader20.exe
    etc. Should this device show up as a changer or does it always show up as
    a stand alone drive? Anybody got any ideas? Thanks for any help.
    Brian

  2. Re: Sony TSL-9000 changer setup

    Do the SCSIChanger and Sony7000 (yep, that is the right name for
    the TSL-9000 device) devices start? I was having this problem
    recently and had to pull registry information from a different
    server to get it to be recognized as a Changer.

    Jill

    "Brian Narkinsky" wrote:

    >I am having a problem with my Sony TSL-9000 changer and backupexec 7.0,

    NT
    >4.0 and adaptec controllers. It always shows up as a standalone drive not
    >as a changer. I cannot inventory or use any tape execept the one in the
    >middle slot. I have deleted the device and reconfigured many times. I have
    >enabled multi-lun support, updated adaptec SCSI drivers, installed loader20.exe
    >etc. Should this device show up as a changer or does it always show up

    as
    >a stand alone drive? Anybody got any ideas? Thanks for any help.
    >Brian

  3. Re: Sony TSL-9000 changer setup

    Yes bot SCSIchanger and Sony7000 are started.. Initially the Seagate Supported
    SCSI-2 media changer did not show up as installed an installed driver so
    I manually installed it. I have also reinstallled completely since then
    and the Seagate changer driver is still installed but no luck. Thanks.
    Brian
    "Jill Ferguson" wrote:

    >Do the SCSIChanger and Sony7000 (yep, that is the right name for
    >the TSL-9000 device) devices start? I was having this problem
    >recently and had to pull registry information from a different
    >server to get it to be recognized as a Changer.
    >
    >Jill
    >
    >"Brian Narkinsky" wrote:
    >>
    >>I am having a problem with my Sony TSL-9000 changer and backupexec 7.0,

    >NT
    >>4.0 and adaptec controllers. It always shows up as a standalone drive

    not
    >>as a changer. I cannot inventory or use any tape execept the one in the
    >>middle slot. I have deleted the device and reconfigured many times. I

    have
    >>enabled multi-lun support, updated adaptec SCSI drivers, installed loader20.exe
    >>etc. Should this device show up as a changer or does it always show up

    >as
    >>a stand alone drive? Anybody got any ideas? Thanks for any help.
    >>Brian

  4. Re: Sony TSL-9000 changer setup

    "Brian Narkinsky" wrote:

    >I am having a problem with my Sony TSL-9000 changer and backupexec 7.0,

    NT
    >4.0 and adaptec controllers. It always shows up as a standalone drive not
    >as a changer. I cannot inventory or use any tape execept the one in the
    >middle slot. I have deleted the device and reconfigured many times. I have
    >enabled multi-lun support, updated adaptec SCSI drivers, installed loader20.exe
    >etc. Should this device show up as a changer or does it always show up

    as
    >a stand alone drive? Anybody got any ideas? Thanks for any help.
    >Brian

  5. Re: Sony TSL-9000 changer setup

    "Brian Narkinsky" wrote:

    >I am having a problem with my Sony TSL-9000 changer and backupexec 7.0,

    NT
    >4.0 and adaptec controllers. It always shows up as a standalone drive not
    >as a changer. I cannot inventory or use any tape execept the one in the
    >middle slot. I have deleted the device and reconfigured many times. I have
    >enabled multi-lun support, updated adaptec SCSI drivers, installed loader20.exe
    >etc. Should this device show up as a changer or does it always show up

    as
    >a stand alone drive? Anybody got any ideas? Thanks for any help.
    >Brian

  6. Re: Sony TSL-9000 changer setup

    I have the same autoloader. I am guessing that you are running NT. If you
    go into Control Panel and look at SCSI devices, does the Adaptec card show
    a TSL-9000?

    Also, in CP as well, under Tape Devices, does it show the TSL9000? If no
    in either case, its a driver issue. Are you sure you have the right driver
    loaded?

    Please reply to email if you want to carry this further.

    Steve

    "Robert Johnson" wrote:

    >"Brian Narkinsky" wrote:
    >>
    >>I am having a problem with my Sony TSL-9000 changer and backupexec 7.0,

    >NT
    >>4.0 and adaptec controllers. It always shows up as a standalone drive

    not
    >>as a changer. I cannot inventory or use any tape execept the one in the
    >>middle slot. I have deleted the device and reconfigured many times. I

    have
    >>enabled multi-lun support, updated adaptec SCSI drivers, installed loader20.exe
    >>etc. Should this device show up as a changer or does it always show up

    >as
    >>a stand alone drive? Anybody got any ideas? Thanks for any help.
    >>Brian

  7. Re: Sony TSL-9000 changer setup

    Hi Steve,

    Please encourage people to reply in the NG as I would like to know the
    outcome of this problem as may others.

    Thanx.

    --
    Regards,

    -Glyn-

    "Steve" wrote in message

    > I have the same autoloader. I am guessing that you are running NT. If

    you
    > go into Control Panel and look at SCSI devices, does the Adaptec card show
    > a TSL-9000?
    >
    > Also, in CP as well, under Tape Devices, does it show the TSL9000? If no
    > in either case, its a driver issue. Are you sure you have the right

    driver
    > loaded?
    >
    > Please reply to email if you want to carry this further.
    >
    > Steve
    >

    > "Robert Johnson" wrote:
    > >
    > >"Brian Narkinsky" wrote:
    > >>
    > >>I am having a problem with my Sony TSL-9000 changer and backupexec 7.0,

    > >NT
    > >>4.0 and adaptec controllers. It always shows up as a standalone drive

    > not
    > >>as a changer. I cannot inventory or use any tape execept the one in the
    > >>middle slot. I have deleted the device and reconfigured many times. I

    > have
    > >>enabled multi-lun support, updated adaptec SCSI drivers, installed

    loader20.exe
    > >>etc. Should this device show up as a changer or does it always show up

    > >as
    > >>a stand alone drive? Anybody got any ideas? Thanks for any help.
    > >>Brian

  8. Re: Sony TSL-9000 changer setup

    Do you have the AutoLoader Option from Veritas? Without that option you will
    only be able to use that center slot.

    "Steve" wrote:

    >I have the same autoloader. I am guessing that you are running NT. If

    you
    >go into Control Panel and look at SCSI devices, does the Adaptec card show
    >a TSL-9000?
    >
    >Also, in CP as well, under Tape Devices, does it show the TSL9000? If no
    >in either case, its a driver issue. Are you sure you have the right driver
    >loaded?
    >
    >Please reply to email if you want to carry this further.
    >
    >Steve
    >

    >"Robert Johnson" wrote:
    >>
    >>"Brian Narkinsky" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>I am having a problem with my Sony TSL-9000 changer and backupexec 7.0,

    >>NT
    >>>4.0 and adaptec controllers. It always shows up as a standalone drive

    >not
    >>>as a changer. I cannot inventory or use any tape execept the one in the
    >>>middle slot. I have deleted the device and reconfigured many times. I

    >have
    >>>enabled multi-lun support, updated adaptec SCSI drivers, installed loader20.exe
    >>>etc. Should this device show up as a changer or does it always show up

    >>as
    >>>a stand alone drive? Anybody got any ideas? Thanks for any help.
    >>>Brian

  9. Re: Sony TSL-9000 changer setup

    Here is what I have done so far. Made changes to SCSI BIOS posted by Jill
    in this newsgroup. Reloaded BU exec from scratch. This seemed to fix the
    symptoms that I originally posted. However still no backup. Every time I
    try to perform an operation I get an error. The devices show up under the
    SCSI adapters and Tape Devices in control panel.

    I have found one reference from the Sony website that states you need firmware
    level L102 to work with Backup Exec. I am at L005. Can anybody that has
    made a SONY TSL-9000 changer work let me know what BIOS level they are at.
    You can find this under the device listing in the SCSI adaters control panel
    icon under the settings tab.
    Thanks for your coments
    "Glyn" wrote:
    >Hi Steve,
    >
    >Please encourage people to reply in the NG as I would like to know the
    >outcome of this problem as may others.
    >
    >Thanx.
    >

    >--
    >Regards,
    >
    >-Glyn-
    >

    >"Steve" wrote in message
    >>
    >> I have the same autoloader. I am guessing that you are running NT. If

    >you
    >> go into Control Panel and look at SCSI devices, does the Adaptec card

    show
    >> a TSL-9000?
    >>
    >> Also, in CP as well, under Tape Devices, does it show the TSL9000? If

    no
    >> in either case, its a driver issue. Are you sure you have the right

    >driver
    >> loaded?
    >>
    >> Please reply to email if you want to carry this further.
    >>
    >> Steve

    >> >NT

    >> not

    the

    >> have

    >loader20.exe

    up
    >> >as

  10. Re: Sony TSL-9000 changer setup

    I have the same problem as Brian, my firmware version is 210 though. HELP!

    "Brian Narkinsky" wrote:

    >Here is what I have done so far. Made changes to SCSI BIOS posted by Jill
    > in this newsgroup. Reloaded BU exec from scratch. This seemed to fix

    the
    >symptoms that I originally posted. However still no backup. Every time I
    >try to perform an operation I get an error. The devices show up under the
    >SCSI adapters and Tape Devices in control panel.
    >
    >I have found one reference from the Sony website that states you need firmware
    >level L102 to work with Backup Exec. I am at L005. Can anybody that has
    >made a SONY TSL-9000 changer work let me know what BIOS level they are at.
    > You can find this under the device listing in the SCSI adaters control

    panel
    >icon under the settings tab.
    >Thanks for your coments
    >"Glyn" wrote:
    >>Hi Steve,
    >>
    >>Please encourage people to reply in the NG as I would like to know the
    >>outcome of this problem as may others.
    >>
    >>Thanx.
    >>

    >>--
    >>Regards,
    >>
    >>-Glyn-
    >>

    >>"Steve" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I have the same autoloader. I am guessing that you are running NT.

    If
    >>you
    >>> go into Control Panel and look at SCSI devices, does the Adaptec card

    >show
    >>> a TSL-9000?
    >>>
    >>> Also, in CP as well, under Tape Devices, does it show the TSL9000? If

    >no
    >>> in either case, its a driver issue. Are you sure you have the right

    >>driver
    >>> loaded?
    >>>
    >>> Please reply to email if you want to carry this further.
    >>>
    >>> Steve

    7.0,
    >>> not

    >the