Media Write Protect error - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Media Write Protect error - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi, I've been looking through the posts related to this, and I'm not finding a clear answer. My situation is this: I have BackupExec 7.3 running on an NT 4.0 server. I have 5 backup tapes. 4 for Incremental and ...

  1. Media Write Protect error

    Hi,

    I've been looking through the posts related to this, and I'm not finding
    a clear answer. My situation is this:
    I have BackupExec 7.3 running on an NT 4.0 server. I have 5 backup tapes.
    4 for Incremental and 1 for a full backup, scheduled to run M-F. When I
    try to re-use the tapes for the next week it fails and says the media is
    write-protected.

    Can somebody please help me with or near step-by-step instructions on how
    to force the backups to run, and perhaps expire at 4 days instead of whatever
    their default is?

    Thank you so much for your time and attention to this.

    Sincerely,

    Thomas P.

  2. Re: Media Write Protect error

    Open you job description (Job Monitor, right click the job, select edit,
    the
    media set should be at the bottom of the first tab) and find out what
    media
    set(s) the jobs are writing to.

    Then go to the Media Tab and on the bottom of the left pane, select the
    media
    set(s) right click/properties choose overwrite protection and set this
    as
    appropriate. I use 6 days for weeklies and 27 days for monthlies

    Thomas wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been looking through the posts related to this, and I'm not finding
    > a clear answer. My situation is this:
    > I have BackupExec 7.3 running on an NT 4.0 server. I have 5 backup tapes.
    > 4 for Incremental and 1 for a full backup, scheduled to run M-F. When I
    > try to re-use the tapes for the next week it fails and says the media is
    > write-protected.
    >
    > Can somebody please help me with or near step-by-step instructions on how
    > to force the backups to run, and perhaps expire at 4 days instead of whatever
    > their default is?
    >
    > Thank you so much for your time and attention to this.
    >
    > Sincerely,
    >
    > Thomas P.

+ Reply to Thread