OFO: Initialization failure on user share folders - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on OFO: Initialization failure on user share folders - Veritas Backup Exec ; I am using BE v7.3 build 2575, and am having trouble getting the Open File Open to work. Each workstation has a User Share folder setup that includes all their data and mail files. I have setup BE to backup ...

  1. OFO: Initialization failure on user share folders

    I am using BE v7.3 build 2575, and am having trouble getting the Open File
    Open to work. Each workstation has a User Share folder setup that includes
    all their data and mail files. I have setup BE to backup just these folders
    on the workstations (right now only 2 workstations). However, when the job
    runs to back up only these folders (the folders are on the D drive (hard
    drive)), I get an error saying:

    OFO: Not available on specified volume
    OFO: Initialization failure on "\\PC-name\Data$"

    I have made sure that the backup server does have full rights to the workstation.
    If i do an Open File backup of the entire D drive, it works fine, I only
    have the problem when accessing only the user share folders. Is there something
    I am missing? Please help on this issue. Your prompt response is appreciated.

  2. Re: Initialization failure on user share folders

    Have you tried doing a backup of \\pc_name\d$\directory of user?

    Todd

    "Brian" wrote in message

    > I am using BE v7.3 build 2575, and am having trouble getting the Open File
    > Open to work. Each workstation has a User Share folder setup that

    includes
    > all their data and mail files. I have setup BE to backup just these

    folders
    > on the workstations (right now only 2 workstations). However, when the

    job
    > runs to back up only these folders (the folders are on the D drive (hard
    > drive)), I get an error saying:
    >
    > OFO: Not available on specified volume
    > OFO: Initialization failure on "\\PC-name\Data$"
    >
    > I have made sure that the backup server does have full rights to the

    workstation.
    > If i do an Open File backup of the entire D drive, it works fine, I only
    > have the problem when accessing only the user share folders. Is there

    something
    > I am missing? Please help on this issue. Your prompt response is

    appreciated.

  3. Re: OFO: Initialization failure on user share folders

    Hi,
    There is OFO fix specifically for build 2575, just check software download
    link and should find it.
    DI

    "Brian" wrote:

    >I am using BE v7.3 build 2575, and am having trouble getting the Open File
    >Open to work. Each workstation has a User Share folder setup that includes
    >all their data and mail files. I have setup BE to backup just these folders
    >on the workstations (right now only 2 workstations). However, when the

    job
    >runs to back up only these folders (the folders are on the D drive (hard
    >drive)), I get an error saying:
    >
    >OFO: Not available on specified volume
    >OFO: Initialization failure on "\\PC-name\Data$"
    >
    >I have made sure that the backup server does have full rights to the workstation.
    > If i do an Open File backup of the entire D drive, it works fine, I only
    >have the problem when accessing only the user share folders. Is there something
    >I am missing? Please help on this issue. Your prompt response is appreciated.

  4. Re: OFO: Initialization failure on user share folders

    I have put on the latest patch for build 2575 with no change in the problems.

    "Denis Ivitchev" wrote:

    >Hi,
    >There is OFO fix specifically for build 2575, just check software download
    >link and should find it.
    >DI
    >
    >"Brian" wrote:
    >>
    >>I am using BE v7.3 build 2575, and am having trouble getting the Open File
    >>Open to work. Each workstation has a User Share folder setup that includes
    >>all their data and mail files. I have setup BE to backup just these folders
    >>on the workstations (right now only 2 workstations). However, when the

    >job
    >>runs to back up only these folders (the folders are on the D drive (hard
    >>drive)), I get an error saying:
    >>
    >>OFO: Not available on specified volume
    >>OFO: Initialization failure on "\\PC-name\Data$"
    >>
    >>I have made sure that the backup server does have full rights to the workstation.
    >> If i do an Open File backup of the entire D drive, it works fine, I only
    >>have the problem when accessing only the user share folders. Is there

    something
    >>I am missing? Please help on this issue. Your prompt response is appreciated.

  5. Re: Initialization failure on user share folders

    I can do a backup of the D$ directory... but as this is an administrative
    share I think it works fine. Since the Data$ directory under D$ is a user
    share, for some reason OFO doesn't like it, and won't initialize... I just
    don't need to back up each user's whole D$ drive every nite

    "Todd E. Toles" wrote:
    >Have you tried doing a backup of \\pc_name\d$\directory of user?
    >
    >Todd
    >
    >"Brian" wrote in message
    >>
    >> I am using BE v7.3 build 2575, and am having trouble getting the Open

    File
    >> Open to work. Each workstation has a User Share folder setup that

    >includes
    >> all their data and mail files. I have setup BE to backup just these

    >folders
    >> on the workstations (right now only 2 workstations). However, when the

    >job
    >> runs to back up only these folders (the folders are on the D drive (hard
    >> drive)), I get an error saying:
    >>
    >> OFO: Not available on specified volume
    >> OFO: Initialization failure on "\\PC-name\Data$"
    >>
    >> I have made sure that the backup server does have full rights to the

    >workstation.
    >> If i do an Open File backup of the entire D drive, it works fine, I only
    >> have the problem when accessing only the user share folders. Is there

    >something
    >> I am missing? Please help on this issue. Your prompt response is

    >appreciated.

  6. Re: Initialization failure on user share folders

    Just drill down and rather than selecting D$ select D$\data.

    Todd

    "Brian" wrote in message

    > I can do a backup of the D$ directory... but as this is an administrative
    > share I think it works fine. Since the Data$ directory under D$ is a user
    > share, for some reason OFO doesn't like it, and won't initialize... I just
    > don't need to back up each user's whole D$ drive every nite
    >
    > "Todd E. Toles" wrote:
    > >Have you tried doing a backup of \\pc_name\d$\directory of user?
    > >
    > >Todd
    > >
    > >"Brian" wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> I am using BE v7.3 build 2575, and am having trouble getting the Open

    > File
    > >> Open to work. Each workstation has a User Share folder setup that

    > >includes
    > >> all their data and mail files. I have setup BE to backup just these

    > >folders
    > >> on the workstations (right now only 2 workstations). However, when the

    > >job
    > >> runs to back up only these folders (the folders are on the D drive

    (hard
    > >> drive)), I get an error saying:
    > >>
    > >> OFO: Not available on specified volume
    > >> OFO: Initialization failure on "\\PC-name\Data$"
    > >>
    > >> I have made sure that the backup server does have full rights to the

    > >workstation.
    > >> If i do an Open File backup of the entire D drive, it works fine, I

    only
    > >> have the problem when accessing only the user share folders. Is there

    > >something
    > >> I am missing? Please help on this issue. Your prompt response is

    > >appreciated.

  7. Re: OFO: Initialization failure on user share folders

    Brian,

    I had the same problem as you so I decided to call
    Veritas. They said that OFO does NOT work with
    shares, only volumes ie C$ D$. All you need to do
    is select the folders under the volumes that you
    want backed up rather than the shares and your
    OFO should be working.

    Good luck,

    Tex

    "Brian" wrote:

    >I have put on the latest patch for build 2575 with no change in the problems.
    >
    >"Denis Ivitchev" wrote:
    >>
    >>Hi,
    >>There is OFO fix specifically for build 2575, just check software download
    >>link and should find it.
    >>DI
    >>
    >>"Brian" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>I am using BE v7.3 build 2575, and am having trouble getting the Open

    File
    >>>Open to work. Each workstation has a User Share folder setup that includes
    >>>all their data and mail files. I have setup BE to backup just these folders
    >>>on the workstations (right now only 2 workstations). However, when the

    >>job
    >>>runs to back up only these folders (the folders are on the D drive (hard
    >>>drive)), I get an error saying:
    >>>
    >>>OFO: Not available on specified volume
    >>>OFO: Initialization failure on "\\PC-name\Data$"
    >>>
    >>>I have made sure that the backup server does have full rights to the workstation.
    >>> If i do an Open File backup of the entire D drive, it works fine, I only
    >>>have the problem when accessing only the user share folders. Is there

    >something
    >>>I am missing? Please help on this issue. Your prompt response is appreciated.

  8. Re: OFO: Initialization failure on user share folders

    Thank you very much. Your information was most useful! It worked great.

    Fabio.

    "Tex" wrote:

    >Brian,
    >
    >I had the same problem as you so I decided to call
    >Veritas. They said that OFO does NOT work with
    >shares, only volumes ie C$ D$. All you need to do
    >is select the folders under the volumes that you
    >want backed up rather than the shares and your
    >OFO should be working.
    >
    >Good luck,
    >
    >Tex
    >

    >"Brian" wrote:
    >>
    >>I have put on the latest patch for build 2575 with no change in the problems.
    >>
    >>"Denis Ivitchev" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>There is OFO fix specifically for build 2575, just check software download
    >>>link and should find it.
    >>>DI

    >File

    folders