On Thu, 13 Jan 2000 15:24:31 +1300, Robert Frittmann wrote:

> I have several questions pertaining to compression and file space in
> BackupExec 7.3 for Windows NT. Any help with these problems would be

greatly
> appreciated.
>
> 1). Is there any way to find out how much free space is currently

available
> on a tape? Both before and after compression?

You can find out how much data was sent to the tape since it was
erased by generating a Media Set report (the tape statistics in BNT
don't reset when a tape is erased; the values in the Media Set report
do). If you use software compression, you can get a rough idea of how
full the tape is.

If you use hardware compression, the figures will tell you how much
data is on the tape before it was compressed.

> 2). Is there any way to determine the amount of post-compression space

which
> will be used by a backup job prior to that job beginning?

Use WinZip first? No.

> 3). Where is the compression ratio shown after a backup operation?

If you use software compression, it's in the log file. If you use
hardware compression, BNT doesn't know the compression rate.

--
Mark Hill
#include