I was testing out our backup tapes to ensure that we are backing up
everything
that we need. As I was looking through the various backup sets I
noticed
that our diffs for this week that have occured from Mon-Wed. have not
been
backing up anything at all?? So I decided to do a small test scenario
see what is causing this problem. I created a folder and shared it on
my
workstation. I took a pre-existing file on my computer that had been
backed
up in the previous full backup and placed it in the dir along with a
newly
created file. I did make an initial modification to the pre-existing
file
and I added just a simple text line into the newly created file. I
started
the diff. backup and when finished....nothing had been backed except for
the directory tree where the files had been placed? NO FILES...argh.
So
I decided to modify both files (pre-existing and new) and re-ran the
diff.
backup once again. This time when I checked the backup...it backed up
both
files.

I am absolutely lost. Why does this occur? I understand that diff
backups
keep the archive bit and backup anything that was modified or newly
created
since the last diff or normal backup. I always assumed that newly
created
files would automatically be backed up in diffs?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.....

Hytham