This is definitely weird....or is it just me? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on This is definitely weird....or is it just me? - Veritas Backup Exec ; I was testing out our backup tapes to ensure that we are backing up everything that we need. As I was looking through the various backup sets I noticed that our diffs for this week that have occured from Mon-Wed. ...

  1. This is definitely weird....or is it just me?

    I was testing out our backup tapes to ensure that we are backing up everything
    that we need. As I was looking through the various backup sets I noticed
    that our diffs for this week that have occured from Mon-Wed. have not been
    backing up anything at all?? So I decided to do a small test scenario to
    see what is causing this problem. I created a folder and shared it on my
    workstation. I took a pre-existing file on my computer that had been backed
    up in the previous full backup and placed it in the dir along with a newly
    created file. I did make an initial modification to the pre-existing file
    and I added just a simple text line into the newly created file. I started
    the diff. backup and when finished....nothing had been backed except for
    the directory tree where the files had been placed? NO FILES...argh. So
    I decided to modify both files (pre-existing and new) and re-ran the diff.
    backup once again. This time when I checked the backup...it backed up both
    files.

    I am absolutely lost. Why does this occur? I understand that diff backups
    keep the archive bit and backup anything that was modified or newly created
    since the last diff or normal backup. I always assumed that newly created
    files would automatically be backed up in diffs?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.....

    Hytham

  2. Re: This is definitely weird....or is it just me?

    Did you check whether the archive attribute was set before running the
    backup? It might be NT not setting the bit, rather than BE not backing up.
    No! ... No Bill, I didn't mean it . Arrrrrrrrgh......
    Ken McNulty

+ Reply to Thread