Agent install failures in Win98 - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Agent install failures in Win98 - Veritas Backup Exec ; I am running Backup Exec v7.2 on an NT 4.0 server and am attempting to get agents installed on all client PC's. Most of the installations went without incident and showed up on the server side. However, the installation has ...

  1. Agent install failures in Win98

    I am running Backup Exec v7.2 on an NT 4.0 server and am attempting to get
    agents installed on all client PC's. Most of the installations went without
    incident and showed up on the server side. However, the installation has
    failed for some reason on a few others. The failure occurs almost as soon
    as the install is started, and locks up the machine. I receive a message
    reading "Isinst30 caused a general protection fault in module _ins0433._mp
    at 001d:00003935". In all cases, the machines with this error are running
    Win98.

    I would appreciate it if anyone has an idea of why this is happenning.

  2. Re: Agent install failures in Win98

    As I have found out this is a problem with the install sheild
    part of the installation. I do not know where, but there is a article on
    install sheild's web site about a conflict between install sheild and MSWheel
    or MS Intellepoint mouse drivers. To corect this the easiest thing is to
    reboot your 98 box in safe mode. Then install the agent. You can also remove
    all the intellepoint drivers and SW but this seems hanious at best. If you
    do though, you can reinstall the SW after you install the agent and reboot
    in normal mode.

    "Ryan Bolender" wrote:

    >I am running Backup Exec v7.2 on an NT 4.0 server and am attempting to get
    >agents installed on all client PC's. Most of the installations went without
    >incident and showed up on the server side. However, the installation has
    >failed for some reason on a few others. The failure occurs almost as soon
    >as the install is started, and locks up the machine. I receive a message
    >reading "Isinst30 caused a general protection fault in module _ins0433._mp
    >at 001d:00003935". In all cases, the machines with this error are running
    >Win98.
    >
    >I would appreciate it if anyone has an idea of why this is happenning.

  3. Re: Agent install failures in Win98

    If it *is* an issue with InstallShield, it's long since been fixed. We use
    InstallShield 5.5 for our installers and never have any problems like this.

    -->Steve Bennett

    Mishka wrote:

    > As I have found out this is a problem with the install sheild
    > part of the installation. I do not know where, but there is a article
    > on
    > install sheild's web site about a conflict between install sheild and
    > MSWheel
    > or MS Intellepoint mouse drivers. To corect this the easiest thing is
    > reboot your 98 box in safe mode. Then install the agent. You can
    > also remove
    > all the intellepoint drivers and SW but this seems hanious at best.
    > If you
    > do though, you can reinstall the SW after you install the agent and
    > reboot
    > in normal mode.
    >
    > "Ryan Bolender" wrote:
    > >
    > >I am running Backup Exec v7.2 on an NT 4.0 server and am attempting

    > to get
    > >agents installed on all client PC's. Most of the installations went

    > without
    > >incident and showed up on the server side. However, the installation

    > has
    > >failed for some reason on a few others. The failure occurs almost as

    > soon
    > >as the install is started, and locks up the machine. I receive a

    > message
    > >reading "Isinst30 caused a general protection fault in module

    > _ins0433._mp
    > >at 001d:00003935". In all cases, the machines with this error are

    > running
    > >Win98.
    > >
    > >I would appreciate it if anyone has an idea of why this is

    > happenning.

  4. Re: Agent install failures in Win98

    Mishka was right on with this one. It was a conflict between InstallShield
    and the MS Intellipoint drivers. As soon as I disabled MS Wheel and ran
    the setup, everything went smoothly.

    The setup program we were using to install agents was utilizing a 16-bit
    version of InstallShield - probably InstallShield Express v2.03. This is
    where the problem came from. My understanding is that later versions did
    correct this issue - the fact that I ended up with an earlier version in
    the setup program was just luck I suppose...

    Steven Bennett wrote:
    >If it *is* an issue with InstallShield, it's long since been fixed. We

    use
    >InstallShield 5.5 for our installers and never have any problems like this.
    >
    >-->Steve Bennett
    >
    >Mishka wrote:
    >>
    >> As I have found out this is a problem with the install sheild
    >> part of the installation. I do not know where, but there is a article
    >> on
    >> install sheild's web site about a conflict between install sheild and
    >> MSWheel
    >> or MS Intellepoint mouse drivers. To corect this the easiest thing is
    >> reboot your 98 box in safe mode. Then install the agent. You can
    >> also remove
    >> all the intellepoint drivers and SW but this seems hanious at best.
    >> If you
    >> do though, you can reinstall the SW after you install the agent and
    >> reboot
    >> in normal mode.
    >>
    >> "Ryan Bolender" wrote:
    >> >
    >> >I am running Backup Exec v7.2 on an NT 4.0 server and am attempting

    >> to get
    >> >agents installed on all client PC's. Most of the installations went

    >> without
    >> >incident and showed up on the server side. However, the installation

    >> has
    >> >failed for some reason on a few others. The failure occurs almost as

    >> soon
    >> >as the install is started, and locks up the machine. I receive a

    >> message
    >> >reading "Isinst30 caused a general protection fault in module

    >> _ins0433._mp
    >> >at 001d:00003935". In all cases, the machines with this error are

    >> running
    >> >Win98.
    >> >
    >> >I would appreciate it if anyone has an idea of why this is

    >> happenning.

+ Reply to Thread