DDS Tape Brand Preferences - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on DDS Tape Brand Preferences - Veritas Backup Exec ; I need to buy an new DDS 3 or 4 tape drive for one of my sites. I am considering the following: -HP 24x6 Autoloader DDS 3 -HP DDS 4 External -Sony DDS 3 TSL-S9000 Autoloader I will be using ...

  1. DDS Tape Brand Preferences

    I need to buy an new DDS 3 or 4 tape drive for one of my sites.
    I am considering the following:
    -HP 24x6 Autoloader DDS 3
    -HP DDS 4 External
    -Sony DDS 3 TSL-S9000 Autoloader

    I will be using Backup Exec Ver 7.0 on WinNT 4.0, sp4 on a Dell
    PowerEdge server.

    Does anyone have any comments or experiences (good or bad)
    with the above options?
    I have been through about 12 bad Seagate DDS 3 tape drives on my
    30 sites, so I am not going to buy another Seagate tape drive.

    thanks
    Dan

  2. Re: DDS Tape Brand Preferences

    Dan,

    As far as I'm concerned, you can't go wrong with HP drives. I've been running
    an assortment of HP DDS drives for quite some time now (the oldest is probably
    3 years). Outside of running the cleaning tape every once and again, I've
    never had any problems. No damaged or unreadable tapes, no hardware failures,
    nothing. Installation is a snap, too.

    I don't currently use any autoloaders at my location, but I have several
    colleagues who swear by them. Hope this helps.

    "Dan Oremba" wrote:

    >I need to buy an new DDS 3 or 4 tape drive for one of my sites.
    >I am considering the following:
    >-HP 24x6 Autoloader DDS 3
    >-HP DDS 4 External
    >-Sony DDS 3 TSL-S9000 Autoloader
    >
    >I will be using Backup Exec Ver 7.0 on WinNT 4.0, sp4 on a Dell
    >PowerEdge server.
    >
    >Does anyone have any comments or experiences (good or bad)
    >with the above options?
    >I have been through about 12 bad Seagate DDS 3 tape drives on my
    >30 sites, so I am not going to buy another Seagate tape drive.
    >
    >thanks
    >Dan

+ Reply to Thread