Media Rotation Wizard ....where is the magic? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Media Rotation Wizard ....where is the magic? - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hello Everyone, I am using Seagate BackupExec 7.01 (Single Server Edition= together with an HP DAT24x6 Autoloader. The Autoloader Module is installed. My question now is: what does the rotation Wizard really do: How can I set up a Grandfather- ...

  1. Media Rotation Wizard ....where is the magic?

    Hello Everyone,

    I am using Seagate BackupExec 7.01 (Single Server Edition= together with an HP DAT24x6
    Autoloader. The Autoloader Module is installed. My question now is: what does the
    rotation Wizard really do: How can I set up a Grandfather- father-son tape rotation
    system, and don't tell me about the LABS thing, which is not appropriate for me. The
    media rotation wizard so far has done the following for me:

    day1:Puts the first normal backup onto tape 1 (okay)
    day2: Puts the next backup (differential) to tape 2 (okay)
    day3uts the next backup(differential) to tape 2 (not okay, should have been three)
    day4: puts the next backup (differential) to tape 2

    I suspect, this will go on until tape 2 is full, and then tape 3 will be selected. Where
    is the wizardry here? Any sorcerer's apprentice could do better.

    Or... am I overlooking something obvious?

    With kind Regards |\ _,,,---,,_
    ZZZzz /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,
    Volker Bandke |,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-'
    (BSP GmbH) '---''(_/--' `-'\_)

    I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. -- Joe Walsh

  2. Re: Media Rotation Wizard ....where is the magic?

    I'm not an expert on this, but I think if you set the protectio level on the
    tapes, it'll work. Just set the protection for 5 days, so it can't run to
    the same tape until next week. Hope that helps.

    CT

    Volker Bandke wrote:
    >Hello Everyone,
    >
    >I am using Seagate BackupExec 7.01 (Single Server Edition= together with

    an HP DAT24x6
    >Autoloader. The Autoloader Module is installed. My question now is: what

    does the
    >rotation Wizard really do: How can I set up a Grandfather- father-son tape

    rotation
    >system, and don't tell me about the LABS thing, which is not appropriate

    for me. The
    >media rotation wizard so far has done the following for me:
    >
    >day1:Puts the first normal backup onto tape 1 (okay)
    >day2: Puts the next backup (differential) to tape 2 (okay)
    >day3uts the next backup(differential) to tape 2 (not okay, should have

    been three)
    >day4: puts the next backup (differential) to tape 2
    >
    >I suspect, this will go on until tape 2 is full, and then tape 3 will be

    selected.
    >Where
    >is the wizardry here? Any sorcerer's apprentice could do better.
    >
    >Or... am I overlooking something obvious?
    >

    > With kind Regards |\ _,,,---,,_
    > ZZZzz /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,
    > Volker Bandke |,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-'
    > (BSP GmbH) '---''(_/--' `-'\_)
    >

    > I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. -- Joe Walsh

  3. Re: Media Rotation Wizard ....where is the magic?

    Try setting the tape job from append to overwrite and it will shift to the
    next tape in the series.

    Volker Bandke wrote:
    >Hello Everyone,
    >
    >I am using Seagate BackupExec 7.01 (Single Server Edition= together with

    an HP DAT24x6
    >Autoloader. The Autoloader Module is installed. My question now is: what

    does the
    >rotation Wizard really do: How can I set up a Grandfather- father-son tape

    rotation
    >system, and don't tell me about the LABS thing, which is not appropriate

    for me. The
    >media rotation wizard so far has done the following for me:
    >
    >day1:Puts the first normal backup onto tape 1 (okay)
    >day2: Puts the next backup (differential) to tape 2 (okay)
    >day3uts the next backup(differential) to tape 2 (not okay, should have

    been three)
    >day4: puts the next backup (differential) to tape 2
    >
    >I suspect, this will go on until tape 2 is full, and then tape 3 will be

    selected.
    >Where
    >is the wizardry here? Any sorcerer's apprentice could do better.
    >
    >Or... am I overlooking something obvious?
    >

    > With kind Regards |\ _,,,---,,_
    > ZZZzz /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,
    > Volker Bandke |,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-'
    > (BSP GmbH) '---''(_/--' `-'\_)
    >

    > I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. -- Joe Walsh

  4. Re: Media Rotation Wizard ....where is the magic?

    On 20 Jan 2000 15:22:49 -0500, "Charles Tsai" wrote:

    >I'm not an expert on this, but I think if you set the protectio level on the
    >tapes, it'll work. Just set the protection for 5 days, so it can't run to
    >the same tape until next week. Hope that helps.
    >
    >CT

    Thanks for your note. If I set the protection to 5 days, then it will probably work -
    unless one tape fills up and another tape has to be used as well. But hopefully with 10GB
    space on a tape that should not be an issue ....

    But the real issue is: On page 8-12 of my manual there is a descriptiopn of a GFS medium
    rotation system. I would have expected the medium rotation wizard to provide
    administration for this level at least, possible more, for up to 53 weeks perhaps. What
    is so wizardly about this wizard? Nada....

    With kind Regards |\ _,,,---,,_
    ZZZzz /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,
    Volker Bandke |,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-'
    (BSP GmbH) '---''(_/--' `-'\_)

    Half of one, six dozen of the other.

  5. Re: Media Rotation Wizard ....where is the magic?

    On 20 Jan 2000 17:05:03 -0500, "Jay Newton" wrote:

    >Try setting the tape job from append to overwrite and it will shift to the
    >next tape in the series.

    And what happens if one tape "overflows", i.e. fills with data, and another tape is
    needed? Will it then later overwrite tape1 (destroying the normal backup) or append to
    it?

    With kind Regards |\ _,,,---,,_
    ZZZzz /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,
    Volker Bandke |,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-'
    (BSP GmbH) '---''(_/--' `-'\_)

    Half of one, six dozen of the other.

  6. Re: Media Rotation Wizard ....where is the magic?

    As long as you are using overwrite protection, no. Even if you aren't, it
    won't overwrite until you erase the tape. I have two DLT autoloaders I run
    in this fashion. It will work fine and won't overwrite tapes.

    Volker Bandke wrote:
    >On 20 Jan 2000 17:05:03 -0500, "Jay Newton" wrote:
    >

    >>Try setting the tape job from append to overwrite and it will shift to

    the
    >>next tape in the series.
    >>

    >And what happens if one tape "overflows", i.e. fills with data, and another

    tape is
    >needed? Will it then later overwrite tape1 (destroying the normal backup)

    or append
    >it?
    >
    > With kind Regards |\ _,,,---,,_
    > ZZZzz /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,
    > Volker Bandke |,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-'
    > (BSP GmbH) '---''(_/--' `-'\_)
    >

    > Half of one, six dozen of the other.

  7. Re: Media Rotation Wizard ....where is the magic?

    On 24 Jan 2000 12:13:56 -0500, "Jay Newton" wrote:

    >As long as you are using overwrite protection, no. Even if you aren't, it
    >won't overwrite until you erase the tape. I have two DLT autoloaders I run
    >in this fashion. It will work fine and won't overwrite tapes.

    Thanks for the info. I will give it a try

    With kind Regards |\ _,,,---,,_
    Volker Bandke |,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-'

    "Well, social relevance is a schtick, like mysteries, social relevance,
    science fiction..."

    - Art Spiegelman

+ Reply to Thread