Space and compression questions - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Space and compression questions - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have several questions pertaining to compression and file space in BackupExec 7.3 for Windows NT. Any help with these problems would be greatly appreciated. 1). Is there any way to find out how much free space is currently available ...

  1. Space and compression questions

    I have several questions pertaining to compression and file space in
    BackupExec 7.3 for Windows NT. Any help with these problems would be greatly
    appreciated.

    1). Is there any way to find out how much free space is currently available
    on a tape? Both before and after compression?

    2). Is there any way to determine the amount of post-compression space which
    will be used by a backup job prior to that job beginning?

    3). Where is the compression ratio shown after a backup operation?

    I've only been using this software for a couple of weeks, and it has been a
    very steep learning curve. All that I've learnt previously from Microsoft
    Backup and other such client backup programs has been useless to me, because
    the basic premise that BENT seems to work on is totally different. I would
    dearly love to have someone explain to me the answers to the questions
    above. I fear that there may not be answers because I'm asking the wrong
    questions. I can only ask from the knowledge I already have. I've searched
    the printed and online manuals for the answers to these questions already,
    but to no avail.

    Thanks in advance for any help offered,

    Robert Frittmann
    Network Administrator
    Bible College of New Zealand.

  2. Re: Space and compression questions

    On Thu, 13 Jan 2000 15:24:31 +1300, Robert Frittmann wrote:

    > I have several questions pertaining to compression and file space in
    > BackupExec 7.3 for Windows NT. Any help with these problems would be greatly
    > appreciated.
    >
    > 1). Is there any way to find out how much free space is currently available
    > on a tape? Both before and after compression?

    You can find out how much data was sent to the tape since it was
    erased by generating a Media Set report (the tape statistics in BNT
    don't reset when a tape is erased; the values in the Media Set report
    do). If you use software compression, you can get a rough idea of how
    full the tape is.

    If you use hardware compression, the figures will tell you how much
    data is on the tape before it was compressed.

    > 2). Is there any way to determine the amount of post-compression space which
    > will be used by a backup job prior to that job beginning?

    Use WinZip first? No.

    > 3). Where is the compression ratio shown after a backup operation?

    If you use software compression, it's in the log file. If you use
    hardware compression, BNT doesn't know the compression rate.

    --
    Mark Hill
    #include

+ Reply to Thread